USC announces Clay Helton to return as head coach in 2019

naptownskinsfan

Helton had one of the hottest seats throughout the year- and keeping him makes it even hotter- but this also takes one of the most appealing jobs off the market.  

Smart decision or not to retain Helton for another year?

USC has gone from Rose Bowl champions to Pac-12 champions to missing a bowl game in Clay Helton‘s three full seasons as head coach, but that slide will not cost him his job.

Trojans AD Lynn Swann announced Sunday that Helton will return as the program’s head coach in 2019. Swann’s full statement is posted below.

USC completed its 2018 campaign with a 24-17 loss to No. 3 Notre Dame on Saturday night. While the Trojans were competitive against the Playoff-bound Irish, multiple trend lines within the game indicated the fan base’s vote to remove Helton. First, USC surrendered 24 unanswered points to Notre Dame in turning a 10-0 deficit into a 24-10 lead, one of many extended runs Helton’s team surrendered on the scene.

But beyond that, USC drew less than 60,000 fans to the Coliseum, the smallest crowd to see Notre Dame since 2001, the year that USC fired Paul Hackett and hired Pete Carroll. Furthermore, reports on the scene said Trojans fans booed Helton each time he was shown on the jumbotron.

Still, Helton has been a good solider for the USC program, first serving as the team’s quarterbacks coach in 2010 and rising the ranks from there, surviving through multiple coaching staffs to eventually lead his own.

We now know Helton will last at least 10 full seasons at USC, as the program confirmed he’ll be back for a fourth full season as head coach in 2019.

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/11/25/clay-helton-to-return-as-uscs-head-coach/

9 hours ago, IDOG_det said:

I'm sorry, USC fans. They could have damn near any coach they want and instead they choose to keep Helton on as a lame duck coach for another year. 

I honestly wonder if the buyout for him after next season drops substantially from what he has this year.  That could definitely be playing a factor.  

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 7:34 AM, IDOG_det said:

I'm sorry, USC fans. They could have damn near any coach they want and instead they choose to keep Helton on as a lame duck coach for another year. 

This is why you don't get emotional and hire an interim HC who isn't qualified. (Looking at you too, LSU.)

On 11/26/2018 at 6:34 AM, IDOG_det said:

The University as a whole is kind of a mess right now. It wouldn't look good if they got a new HC before they got a President. They are also getting sued a lot. Helton proved it's better to be lucky than good.

2 hours ago, jrry32 said:

This is why you don't get emotional and hire an interim HC who isn't qualified. (Looking at you too, LSU.)

Wait. Hiring a former Ole Miss coach that was 3-21 in conf was a bad idea?

I dont think it was an emotional hire. Alleva is the most worthless, moronic AD there has ever been. Les had no support his last several years, dozens of big names would of taken the job in a heartbeat. And no booster, no donor, no anyone has any influence on this idiot as to whom might be a good choice. With all of us begging and pleading to fire Alleva the past decade.

As much talent as any team. Current 5th ranked recruiting class coming in. But we should for some reason be happy to win 8-9 is what Alleva keeps saying.

1 hour ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Why fire Tee? Wasn't Helton calling played since the ASU game?

I remember when news broke that Helton had taken playcalling duties, Martin was said to have been fine with it, but soon after eliminated almost all mention of USC from his Twitter and other social media accounts.  So it sounds like it cut deeper than just that.  

5 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Tee Martin is gone. That was badly needed. DL, DB, and QB coaches are all gone.

Changes are happening under Helton.

Tee Martin was fired, the others have left.  Now, whether or not they were told they could leave or be fired, we probably won't know except for QB coach Ellis, who is expected to be named WKU's new offensive coordinator.  Ironically, being hired by Clay Helton's brother. 

Archived