2019 Head Coaching Candidates

tannenballs

10 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

I'm surprised someone like Pete Carmichael isn't getting head coaching consideration. Has been OC for almost a decade with the saints. I know he doesn't call plays but should at least be considered.

The fact that he isn't the play caller and he hasn't really been viewed as a real HC candidates kinda sets off red flags there.

10 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

There's a difference between investing a LOT, and investing quality into that OL.  Reiff is a RT/OG whose being pressed into LT duties.  I feel like we've discussed Remmers enough, but he's not worth that contract IMO.  O'Neill was a really raw prospect coming out, and he's struggled I believe.  Elflein is really the only Vikings' OL I'd argue is worth their salt.

Reiff has always been a LT and has performed better at LT. He graded much worse in his one year at RT in Detroit. He's certainly not great, but he's been solid here. Injuries this year haven't helped as Reiff has missed a few games.

Remmers was signed to be a RT but has been moved to OG which he clearly is not good at. Nevertheless, the front office made him a prority pickup and the coaching staff moved him inside to a position that hasn't been a good fit.

O'Neill needs to get stronger but I believe he can be a solid starter. 

Elflein has graded out poorly the past two seasons, I just don't think he's strong enough to be a quality starter.

The front office has made some bad decisions in regards to the OL but it's been so long since the Vikes have actually developed OL talent.

1 hour ago, Classic said:

Really? He's gonna go from back-up QB to Head Coach

You never know. One day Garth Snow woke up as the back up goal goalie for the New York Islanders and went to bed as their general manager.

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

Many Vikes fans are down on DeFilippo. His commitment to the run game has been concerning and it seems he may be at odds with what Zimmer wants as an OC. Just not sure I see HC material yet.

The question is how much of that is because he is trying to be super impressive with all of these great passing plays knowing thats what other teams want. He might be over compensating knowing he going to get looks this offseason and trying to hard to make the Vikings offense some Payton/Reid/McVay esq passing attack. He might be trying to hard to stand out with a high powered/explosive passing attack thinking its going to help him in the long run.

16 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I mentioned him in another thread, but I like Todd Monken as a darkhorse candidate. TB's offense has really taken off with him calling plays, and he actually has HC experience with a positive track record.

#4 in YPP, and #15 in DVOA

1 hour ago, 49erurtaza said:

I'm surprised someone like Pete Carmichael isn't getting head coaching consideration. Has been OC for almost a decade with the saints. I know he doesn't call plays but should at least be considered.

I heard somewhere its because Carmichael is not the actual playcaller. Payton is and its his offense. Carmichael is just more of a player prep/coach type of guy and doesnt do a whole lot with game management/playcalling on gamedays. Which is why he isnt considered a realistic option with him basically being a glorified assistant coach. No idea if thats true or not.

Not sure why DeFilippo is that high on the list. McDaniels probably won't get a shot this year after what he pulled last year. And are we sure Riley wants to leave OU? He would need to step in a really good situation to consider it imho. GB or CLE make sense but I dont think he goes to, say Cincy, just to coach in the NFL.

McCarthy, Harbaugh and maybe Marvin Lewis make sense and won't be without a job for long (arguable for Lewis). As for coordinators Fangio deserves a shot. Maybe Toub, Mandusky from WAS too. Don't really see an OC making sense. Maybe Bielemy if KC plays well in the playoffs but that might be early. Maybe Kitchens if Cleveland makes some noise at the end of the year. Seems early for both. I think LaFleur is a name to consider and would likely be the most highly pursued OC for a HC job.

4 hours ago, tannenballs said:

1. Lincoln Riley, HC Oklahoma 

I think Riley will be an NFL HC next year. Sooners not making the playoff and Murray is gone. A spot coaching his most prized college player is open. CLE and him make alot of sense. He needs a good DC with experience tho. Maybe just keep Williams around.

2. John DeFilippo, OC Vikings

His stock is taking a hit this year but i still think he fills a vacancy. He's a good, not great coaching hire imo but someone with a young QB sitch will hire him imo.

3. Josh McDaniels, OC Patriots

Nope. He ruined his chance last year. I'm convinced he'll never be a HC for any team other than NE.

4. Mike McCarthy, HC Packers 

McCarthy strikes me as the type who'll take a year away from the game. Stock is at an alltime low too.

5. John Harbaugh, HC Ravens

Will definitely get rehired and i personally think Paul Brown will go after him hard.

6. Matt Campbell, HC Iowa State

Man do i love this guy. He reminds of John Harbaugh but younger.

7. Brian Flores, LB Patriots

Dont know much about him to say either way.

8. Zac Taylor, QB Rams

Will be an OC first.

9. Vic Fangio, DC Bears

Too old and he's already basically a half head coach. That's his defense(a damn good one) and he runs it. He'll be a DC till he retires id bet.

10. Dave Toub, AHC/ST Chiefs

Like Vic, hes old and comfortable where hes at.

11. Kris Richard, DB Cowboys 

Could be a darkhorse pick but i suspect he gets a DC job in the ofgseason.

I think this list goes to show slim the candidate pool is. With an average of 6-7 openings a year, I don't know if there are enough viable candidates to fill those vacancies. After Brian Flores my interest wanes. He's still a ? especially with the way Patricia's first year has gone, but he has an interesting background.   

Archived