POST GAME GB at MIN week 12 (24-17 Loss, 4-6-1)

squire12

Andy Herman:

"There were a ton of issues on offense last week, but none as bad as the play of the offensive line. It was a really bad performance overall and Byron Bell should be benched if not cut for his performance and lack of effort imo"

12 minutes ago, Leader said:

Andy Herman:

"There were a ton of issues on offense last week, but none as bad as the play of the offensive line. It was a really bad performance overall and Byron Bell should be benched if not cut for his performance and lack of effort imo"

Byron Bell is a fine backup, and a lousy starter playing because McCray needs to go under the knife and get his shoulder fixed, but can't because he with a bad wing is better than Pankey or anything else we could pick up on the FA market at the moment.

Herman just doesn't understand protection calls. 

32 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Byron Bell is a fine backup, and a lousy starter playing because McCray needs to go under the knife and get his shoulder fixed, but can't because he with a bad wing is better than Pankey or anything else we could pick up on the FA market at the moment.

Herman just doesn't understand protection calls. 

Well this is unfortunate.
Again I'm not an OL guy and appreciate any/all insights - but just from my eye test - Bell appears challenged at his job - which jeopardizes our QB and the offense functioning properly. I hope we get a suitable replacement for him at some point.

Oh wait - your FA comment referred to "now" - got it - understood more clearly now.

14 minutes ago, Leader said:

Well this is unfortunate.
Again I'm not an OL guy and appreciate any/all insights - but just from my eye test - Bell appears challenged at his job - which jeopardizes our QB and the offense functioning properly. I hope we get a suitable replacement for him at some point.

Oh wait - your FA comment referred to "now" - got it - understood more clearly now.

Yes, we are kinda screwed right now.  The O line is another position that will need attention this offseason for sure.

21 minutes ago, Pugger said:

Yes, we are kinda screwed right now.  The O line is another position that will need attention this offseason for sure.

I'm sure we will be active in fixing up that line .. might get some help if Cole Madison returns from his mystery hiatus.  Not sure we should count on him though at this point, although last I heard he was expected to return at some point.

Here we go. The good stuff is coming out!!!

https://sports.yahoo.com/tension-reportedly-growing-aaron-rodgers-mike-mccarthy-green-bay-065408769.html

McCarthy, like Rodgers, is an alpha male. When people familiar with the two were asked to describe their relationship, most say it is defined by tension. Until this year, it was a healthy tension that lifted both quarterback and coach. In 2018, something has been different.

McCarthy is the play caller, but because Rodgers is so intelligent and such a good improvisational player, the quarterback has the green light to change plays on the field as he see fit. He does, so often that it can be hard for McCarthy to get into a rhythm as the play caller. McCarthy might call the same play three times in a game, without the play actually being run as he called it. And if McCarthy calls a play that Rodgers doesn’t like early in the game, that can sour the mood for the rest of the game. Several sources familiar with the inner workings of the organization say that it devolved into a competition over who can call the better play, and both want the credit when things go right.

More good stuff. Palace Intrique:

When asked why they think Van Pelt is no longer in Green Bay, several sources close to the team say they believe, because Van Pelt had Rodgers’s ear, McCarthy saw him as a threat.

“Which came first, the chicken or the egg? McCarthy wants credit for Aaron Rodgers, who he is,” says a source familiar with the inner workings of the organization. “I think too many people have tried to say they created Aaron Rodgers.”

Everyone had to have the inclination that the relationship was done. You can see the body language and we're not even in the building. There is resentment there, that's been building for awhile. And now with everyone and the national media shooting arrows inward, it's only going to worsen. 

A detached coach:

Several sources familiar with the inner workings of the organization say that McCarthy hasn’t done much to keep things fresh and change things up from season to season, other than making changes to the practice schedule based on player input. McCarthy has tried some unconventional ideas occasionally, but they usually don’t stick. For instance, one former player recalls the year in OTAs when, after a season in which the Packers didn’t force many turnovers, McCarthy tested out a new drill where all 11 guys on defense had to touch the ball and take a chop at the ball carrier on each play. This quickly turned into madness—the ball carrier was held up at the line of scrimmage until every guy took his shot, or defensive linemen ran 70 yards downfield to get their shot.

McCarthy meets with every player on the roster for an exit interview before they head home in June, but one source close to organization says most players don’t feel comfortable going to McCarthy with problems during the season and instead wait until the exit interview—even if it’s early in the season and a potential season-long the issue could be resolved. A Packers spokesperson denies that McCarthy’s door is closed to players, and adds that for anyone who isn’t comfortable going to McCarthy, the Packers have a players’ council made up of a representative from each position group that meets with the director of player development and can take things up the chain. McCarthy was never particularly close with players, but sources close to the organization say that as the culture grew more uptight in Green Bay under Thompson, McCarthy became more closed off to players.

A stubborn player with a long memory.

“I desperately want to be coached.” That’s what Rodgers told The MMQB on the eve of the 2015 season, when the Packers were seven months removed from a heartbreaking NFC title game loss in Seattle. (Through a spokesperson, the Packers declined an interview request for Rodgers.) The quarterback holds himself to impossibly high standards, and he holds his coaches to those same standards. He doesn’t forget any slight or grievance, no matter how small. He still brings up the fact that he was drafted 24th overall, the second quarterback after Alex Smith went No. 1 overall in the 2005 draft. Former Packers receiver Greg Jennings told Colin Cowherd in November that Rodgers would needle McCarthy about that. McCarthy, the year before he arrived in Green Bay, was the offensive coordinator in San Francisco, part of the regime that drafted Smith.

On 11/27/2018 at 8:49 AM, Leader said:

Okay. Can we actually put some meat on this bone?

I'm not contesting your comment - but I've been reading this sentiment for some time - but failing to see any actual proof of it other than occasional snarky comments from AR and a social media environment that gets a hardon everytime he sneezes.

Can we actually detail and discuss evidence that MM has lost control over AR?

I think we both know this isn't a provable idea.

I'm generally not huge fan of JSO's coverage of GB, but Dougherty's Nov-29 article on the current relationship between Mac and Rodgers is in line with my thoughts.

6 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I'm sure we will be active in fixing up that line .. might get some help if Cole Madison returns from his mystery hiatus.  Not sure we should count on him though at this point, although last I heard he was expected to return at some point.

You have to wonder what happened to this young man that he would not report all this time....?

4 minutes ago, Pugger said:

You have to wonder what happened to this young man that he would not report all this time....?

From what I understand a close friend blew his head off (with Madisons gun? Not sure about that....) and it was found he was suffering from CTE.
Which gave Madison pause to consider his future.

Archived