POST GAME GB at MIN week 12 (24-17 Loss, 4-6-1)

squire12

1 minute ago, dll2000 said:

I guess overall theme of questions is how are die hard Packers fan viewing Rogers right now?  Rate him.  How does he compare to other top QBs in league right now? 

Depends on who you ask. There doesn't seem to be a definitive opinion on him from any two Packer fans. A lot of the regular fans put all the blame on McCarthy and the scheme but I don't believe its just McCarthy. 

McCarthy and Rodgers share the blame. Too often this year I see Rodgers hold onto the ball when it should be thrown to the quick read. He has been the most inaccurate deep I have ever seen him in his career. There was a time when him throwing deep was almost automatic but too often he doesn't even give the WR a chance to catch it. He throws away way too many balls instead of letting his WRs make plays. His 20/1 TD/INT ratio is skewed due to all the throw aways and missed targets. 

In the end I think its a mix of untimely injuries, McCarthys scheme becoming stale, Rodgers looking like an average QB all add up to a below average team. 

14 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

How much of blame should Rogers be getting vs MM? Percentage wise, if any.

RIght now I'm at 60/40 Rodgers Mccarthy

15 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

If it didnt say Rogers on back of his jersey would he be getting more criticism for 2018 play?

yes.

15 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Doesn't Rogers have ability and freedom to audible by now? 8 year+ star QBs are, at least partially, their own OCs.  They can call the game from LINE OF SCRIMMAGE, no matter the inital play call, no? 

Yes, he has some ability to change things and check to certain runs etc.  He doesn't have unilateral audible ability like Peyton Manning ran.  For the most part his audible control involves whether to have the back protect or not, change a route or two.  Outside of the 2 min drill, he isn't calling his own plays though.

2 hours ago, Ketchup said:

Screw that. He’s getting paid the most in the NFL right now. He shoulders a lot of blame for this year along with Mac. He plays it out just like everyone else. 

I get you and Leaders sentiment but right now you have to ask yourself what's  the upside of playing Rogers at this point? I get the money aspect but the season is over even if we win out.  Why keep putting Rodgers out there to continue take a beating just for pride and team morale.  Even putting him out there to make him earn his millions is risky at this point.

Do you want to see him end up like Alex Smith? That could happen with his playing style. We made too much of an investment in Rodgers to gamble with his health and career.

If I'm Gute Rodgers goes down in practice this week. I want to see both backups get some action. Next season they need to bring back Clements as Rodgers QB coach if available. Rodgers loved the guy and he hasn't been right since. His mechanics and footwork are horrible. Clements is a guy Rodgers respects and will listen to.  Apparently he was upset when McCarthy fired him.

Right now I'm all about draft position. I want a top 10 pick in a defensive rich draft. This draft could do for us what it did for the Saints in 2017. One good draft class turned that team around. That could be us in 2019, make us a perennial playoff threat and division champion again. Yes I'm in full tank mode.

3 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:
20 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Doesn't Rogers have ability and freedom to audible by now? 8 year+ star QBs are, at least partially, their own OCs.  They can call the game from LINE OF SCRIMMAGE, no matter the inital play call, no? 

Yes, he has some ability to change things and check to certain runs etc.  He doesn't have unilateral audible ability like Peyton Manning ran.  For the most part his audible control involves whether to have the back protect or not, change a route or two.  Outside of the 2 min drill, he isn't calling his own plays though.

To add, he can only change things to a limited degree based on the personnel on the field.  He does not get to decide what player package is in.

2 minutes ago, St Vince said:

I get you and Leaders sentiment but right now you have to ask yourself what's  the upside of playing Rogers at this point? I get the money aspect but the season is over even if we win out.  Why keep putting Rodgers out there to continue take a beating just for pride and team morale.  Even putting him out there to make him earn his millions is risky at this point.

Do you want to see him end up like Alex Smith? That could happen with his playing style. We made too much of an investment in Rodgers to gamble with his health and career.

If I'm Gute Rodgers goes down in practice this week. I want to see both backups get some action. Next season they need to bring back Clements as Rodgers QB coach if available. Rodgers loved the guy and he hasn't been right since. His mechanics and footwork are horrible. Clements is a guy Rodgers respects and will listen to.  Apparently he was upset when McCarthy fired him.

Right now I'm all about draft position. I want a top 10 pick in a defensive rich draft. This draft could do for us what it did for the Saints in 2017. One good draft class turned that team around. That could be us in 2019, make us a perennial playoff threat and division champion again. Yes I'm in full tank mode.

If building a chemistry with the young WR is that important, then Rodgers needs to play with them, not have them play with Kizer.

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

To add, he can only change things to a limited degree based on the personnel on the field.  He does not get to decide what player package is in.

Based on his comments, I don't even think he can call a play from a blank slate with said personnel, unless it's the 2 minute drill.

I think Rodgers has to bare some of the blame for where we are. He's become to big for his own good. Having said that, McCarthy has been the enabler too. Look at teams like New Orleans. They get the ball out of Brees hands in 2.0 seconds. Rodgers holds onto it and is almost adverse to taking the check down.

I don't know who I want as the HC, but I know what I want.

-Someone who is not afraid to impose his will on Rodgers regarding their offense. 

-Someone who has some creativity on offense. 

-Someone who will go for the throat when they get a team down, rather than let them hang around. Like Woody Hayes said when stomping Michigan 51-13 on why he went for 2. Because I couldn't go for 3! That is the mentality we are missing. 

You've got about 30-35 guys you can work with. We are going to need to turn over a lot of guys this off season. McCarthy won't do that. 

This group of veterans needs to go next year, regardless of the plan to replace them on the day they are released or not pursued in free agency:

Randall Cobb, Clay Matthews, Nick Perry, Tramon Williams, Lance Kendricks, Jimmy Graham, Brian Bulaga, Byron Bell and maybe Corey Linsley. None of them have earned their paycheck this year other than maybe Bulaga. The problem with him is he's more likely than not to break down again next year. Might as well move on now. 

That would leave us with about 80 million in cap space (I didn't add it up but think I'm close). If not, apologies! We'd have 4 of the top 75 picks as it stands right now. You could get 2 higher end free agents (meaning 10-14 per year) and 3-4 second to lower tiered guys (meaning 7 or less per year) who could serve a purpose for a year or two. You would still have the funds to extend guys like Kenny Clark and Blake Martinez. 

3 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Jimmy Graham, Brian Bulaga, Byron Bell and maybe Corey Linsley.

Disagree with these 3 for sure and even a little with Bulaga. Bell is a good swing guard back up to have and doesn't cost much, Corey Lisley is a  above average center and the only bright spot on our interior this year, and who are we going to replay Jimmy with? He doesn't cost that much and should provide better production if utilized better. 

4 minutes ago, Golfman said:

This group of veterans needs to go next year, regardless of the plan to replace them on the day they are released or not pursued in free agency:

Randall Cobb, Clay Matthews, Nick Perry, Tramon Williams, Lance Kendricks, Jimmy Graham, Brian Bulaga, Byron Bell and maybe Corey Linsley. None of them have earned their paycheck this year other than maybe Bulaga. The problem with him is he's more likely than not to break down again next year. Might as well move on now. 

That would leave us with about 80 million in cap space (I didn't add it up but think I'm close). If not, apologies! We'd have 4 of the top 75 picks as it stands right now. You could get 2 higher end free agents (meaning 10-14 per year) and 3-4 second to lower tiered guys (meaning 7 or less per year) who could serve a purpose for a year or two. You would still have the funds to extend guys like Kenny Clark and Blake Martinez. 

I don't see the reasoning to cut/trade Linsley or Bulaga.  Especially if you are looking to spend in FA and pay the same amount for what those players are currently making.  

The rest I can see

Just now, Golfman said:

Bulaga. The problem with him is he's more likely than not to break down again next year. Might as well move on now.

Yeah, 11 starts in 11 games just doesn't cut it for me anymore.  92/123 games, 75% of his games and only one season missing more than 7 games. 

10 minutes ago, Golfman said:

How has Linlsey not earned his paycheck?

Don't want graham or Bulaga gone either.

8 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

Disagree with these 3 for sure and even a little with Bulaga. Bell is a good swing guard back up to have and doesn't cost much, Corey Lisley is a  above average center and the only bright spot on our interior this year, and who are we going to replay Jimmy with? He doesn't cost that much and should provide better production if utilized better. 

He doesn't cost that much? Jimmy Graham is the highest paid TE in the league. You save 5 million by cutting him. As much as we've used him you cut him to you don't have that cap money tied up into 2020. We have to do better than Bell on the interior and by moving on you force yourself to insure you get somebody. I'll just disagree with you on Linsley. He's not been good this year. 

Archived