Week 13: VIKINGS (6-4-1) at Patriots (8-3)

swede700

42 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

An interesting discussion taking place on Twitter about the possibility of hiring McCarthy in the offseason as the OC. 

Reading some of the comments, color me intrigued. 

Wouldn't it be ironic if DeFilippo replaced MM in GB, and MM replaced DeFilippo here as OC?

43 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

An interesting discussion taking place on Twitter about the possibility of hiring McCarthy in the offseason as the OC. 

Reading some of the comments, color me intrigued. 

I can only imagine that McCarthy will get a ton of interest. I think he ends up in Cleveland. McCarthy's resume is just too strong to not get serious looks as a HC.

Im hoping that Shurmur gets fired and comes back as the OC. DeFilippo needs to go, he's been a bad hire. I have no clue what he's trying to do offensively. Just seems there is no offensive identity and if Thielen or Diggs aren't making brilliant catches, the offense doesn't go.

46 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I have no clue what he's trying to do offensively. Just seems there is no offensive identity and if Thielen or Diggs aren't making brilliant catches, the offense doesn't go.

I agree. I too have no idea what he's trying to do. At times we look like a dink & dunk team. Then the next series we're aggressively throwing past the sticks. Then we go back to dink & dunk. Then try and run. Then back to aggressive.

Cook had great rush yards in the first half (80+ I think?) and looked like we were establishing the run then Cook gets 3 total carries in the 2nd half and we use Murray on a crucial carry. WHY?!?!?!?!?

JDF is honest to God pressing the "Ask Madden" button for his plays. There's no rhyme or reason to them it seems. We don't run the ball to set up the play-action. We don't dink & dunk to get the defense cheating to open the field. We don't throw past the sticks to open up the run or screens.

He doesn't stick with one thing long enough for it to be successful and he doesn't make the opposing defense think.

1 hour ago, joru1000 said:

3 of our 5 first draft picks need to be an offensive lineman, and if we draft a defensive back before we draft and offensive lineman than I'm petitioning to have Spielman and Zimmer removed. Who's with me?

In a game where the corners were Holton Hill and Marcus Sherels, you're upset that they drafted a corner in the first round?

2 hours ago, perrynoid said:

Wouldn't it be ironic if DeFilippo replaced MM in GB, and MM replaced DeFilippo here as OC?

I would be more than happy with that trade.  I could see Zim doing it too because he has had a lot of former head coaches on his staff.  My guess, though, is that McCarthy will more than likely be picked up by someone to be a head coach and not just a coordinator.

I just finished watching the game against the Patriots and wanted to really concentrate on what differences there were between the two teams.  It was interesting because the Patriots didn't really do anything all that earth-shattering to beat us.  What I came away from watching the two teams was that the Patriots were just more consistent than we were.  They took what our very good defense would give them and they just did what they needed to do to get the job done.  They made very few mistakes.  They had a good game plan and executed it very well.  

The best way I can describe this Patriots team is to compare them to a locomotive.  Not a speeding locomotive, but one that, once it took off from the station, it maintained a deliberate, steady pace.  Like a locomotive, they were very difficult to stop once they pulled out from the station at the opening kickoff.  The Vikings played a fairly good game, and were somewhat the same, but the difference was that they just weren't as steady.  We had more stops and starts.  It was those few stops that killed drives and ultimately cost us the game as the Patriots wore us down with their consistent effort.

They say that Bill Belichick usually tries to take away your strengths, and he did do that to us on the defensive side of the ball.  We normally have a very good pass rush but I don't remember seeing one sack on Brady today.  He got rid of the ball quickly, and we couldn't get home to sack him.  When he had more time, that was when he would take a deep shot downfield.  They are a well-run organization and it showed in their performance today. 

The Vikings are also a good, consistent, well-coached team.  We were beaten by a team that was just a little better than we were in that regard today.

10 hours ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

I agree. I too have no idea what he's trying to do. At times we look like a dink & dunk team. Then the next series we're aggressively throwing past the sticks. Then we go back to dink & dunk. Then try and run. Then back to aggressive.

Cook had great rush yards in the first half (80+ I think?) and looked like we were establishing the run then Cook gets 3 total carries in the 2nd half and we use Murray on a crucial carry. WHY?!?!?!?!?

JDF is honest to God pressing the "Ask Madden" button for his plays. There's no rhyme or reason to them it seems. We don't run the ball to set up the play-action. We don't dink & dunk to get the defense cheating to open the field. We don't throw past the sticks to open up the run or screens.

He doesn't stick with one thing long enough for it to be successful and he doesn't make the opposing defense think.

I tend to agree.  I'm extremely disappointed at how he's handling the offense.  There just seems to be no actual philosophy and it's "madden"ing to watch.  It's like he's trying to run the gimmicky offenses that McVay, Reid and Nagy run, but without the personnel to run it.  (And yes, I call them gimmicky, because I don't think they'll last all that long...the defenses will catch up).    

11 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I tend to agree.  I'm extremely disappointed at how he's handling the offense.  There just seems to be no actual philosophy and it's "madden"ing to watch.  It's like he's trying to run the gimmicky offenses that McVay, Reid and Nagy run, but without the personnel to run it.  (And yes, I call them gimmicky, because I don't think they'll last all that long...the defenses will catch up).    

I really don’t think there is too much gimmicky about them. Just more of a spread option offense with a solid running back and continuing to try and get their weapons in space...

our offense is trying to get Dalvin in space by throwing him screens inside the 25 and abandoning ship on it. 

There just hasn’t been anything to keep the defense honset. 

I’m fine with passing more than running, but completely bailing on the run game when slightly trailing or after a 1 yard run and putting the whole workload on the offensive line and our QB rarely works in any situation. It almost becomes predictable. Nothing deep will ever become open and all we will see are dump offs. 

The Pats and Brady have sort of a dink and dunk offense, but they are by design, ours are teams are shutting down the deep and middle parts of the field forcing us to go to our short stuff not by design. 

I'll be extremely dissapointed if JDF is not fired at seasons end. The game plan against New England was abysmal. They spent almost the entire half dumping the ball to Cook and Ham. Why weren't we attempting to stretch the field, get Thielen and Diggs open deep. It's not like the Patriots have a particularly strong defense like the Bears, where it's understandable to play conservative. I liked running the ball early but they should have mixed in more shots to the WRs. They played scared which shows that this team has no business going to the playoffs. 

I can’t imagine JDF being here next year. There just seems to be a disconnect between him and Zimmer. Their philosophies/styles just don’t work together. 

When the head coach comes out almost every week and talks about how they should have run more, and the team continues to throw the ball 40 times a game, there’s a problem. 

Archived