Week 13 GDT: Do we really have to go to Seattle?

N4L

Who wins?   

9 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Seattle
    • Seahawks

33 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

I'm certainly not criticizing him for a lack of speed. He has plenty. I'm just saying he could be in the upper tier of WRs if he had just that extra gear. But I feel like our offense will be coming from every direction, next year, it will be more diverse, and we don't need an Antonio Brown to make it work. I was just watching the game today, and I felt like Pettis might already be a 1000 yards receiver if he was on the Seahawks. A guy who always ends up being open on a team whose QB always ends up with extra time to throw (unless Ronald Blair is left unblocked). 

Can't wait for next year. Imagine all we could do with a McKinnon. He's a former QB, too, so we could see him throwing him the ball at some point. Add all our other weapons. Kittle being a stud. Pettis coming on strong. Goodwin, if he returns to 2017 form. Juice. And Breida and now Wilson, who are looking great. Even Mostert was looking great. Bourne has been solid. Celek has been invisible this year, though. But who cares... I prefer to consider Juice as TE2, since he's splitting out wide so much, and doing a mighty fine job of it. That's the flexibility. With Kittle's flexibility of pretty much having WR speed, McKinnon being as good a receive, or greater, as he is a runner (and the ability to throw, don't forget). So many possibilities. We only need a good Maestro to conduct this orchestra of unique talents. 

We certainly have enough weapons where we don't need to go WR early in the draft. I'd still like to take one as I don't trust the durability of our WRs, at least not yet. Goodwin also has had a few concussions which worry me. But you could do much worse than Kittle/Pettis/Goodwin/Juice Check/McKinnon/Breida. Still probably could use a WR with more size than the ones we currently have. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

We certainly have enough weapons where we don't need to go WR early in the draft. I'd still like to take one as I don't trust the durability of our WRs, at least not yet. Goodwin also has had a few concussions which worry me. But you could do much worse than Kittle/Pettis/Goodwin/Juice Check/McKinnon/Breida. Still probably could use a WR with more size than the ones we currently have. 

Absolutely agree. Not a requirement, but I'm eyeing that second round pick as a possible wide receiver target because I just don't trust the receivers to stay healthy, and I honestly don't think I want Garcon on the roster next year

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Absolutely agree. Not a requirement, but I'm eyeing that second round pick as a possible wide receiver target because I just don't trust the receivers to stay healthy, and I honestly don't think I want Garcon on the roster next year

Oh, I think Garcon is gone for sure. Not worth keeping him, especially when he won't be starting. Want a solid size WR though. I think we can get one in the 3rd or 4th round....Wait do we even have a 4th rounder???? Lol, but first two rounds I want edge rushers and that's it. If we go with Williams or Oliver in the first round, then second round gotta be edge. Even if we go Bosa first round then I think long and hard about doubling up there....Unless we sign someone like Flowers or Ansah then Bosa or edge rusher in the first round is fine. I'd like to then take a secondary player early in the 2nd round. Could be a corner, but would love a FS with range in that area. I mean I prefer Earl Thomas over anything but not sure he wants to come to such a terrible team (record wise). May prefer to go elsewhere, though not many teams run the system he has been running for his entire career. 

Need another LB but we can get one in free agency. Always some solid LBs that are available. But man we have to spend early draft capital and money in free agency on edge rushers. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

I think we can get one in the 3rd or 4th round....Wait do we even have a 4th rounder????

I believe the picks we are missing are 5th (for Tomlinson) and 7th round pick, depending on the terms of the Coleman trade. KC has the option to swap our 7ths this year from the Streater move, so they will obviously do that, and then the trade for Coleman was a conditional 7th, but I have no idea what the conditions were. If it were a 7th if he played a game, then we still have it I think, if it's anything else, it'll go to Cleveland. 

5 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

My thing with Saleh is his unit has way too many breakdowns and he's not really a good in game caller. What I mean is he sits back when he should be bringing the blitz and in other times tries to get more creative than he should. Just quite frankly looks overwhelmed out there. And he calls a stunt on most 3rd downs that opposing offenses have caught on. I don't think he called as many this week but last week was terrible. 

I agree with this. He looks like he's really struggling out there and second guessing himself. 

I would like to see us bring in someone with experience who can put together a full staff. I honestly don't care what type of scheme they run if we can get someone who is good. Who fits that mold? Wouldn't mind someone from college honestly if they've been around the pro game in the past. 

I have mentioned a few times that it's possible to out scheme people on offense if you don't have talent. You can't really do the same on defense and I understand why it's not a sure thing that Saleh gets fired. I'm sure he will eventually be a good DC but I think he is in a little over his head right now and I think it's best if we make a change. 

Will this job even be desirable? 

Who are the defensive players that will be around long term? Buckner and warner. That's it right now. Tartt Thomas armstead could all be solid and Witherspoon still has upside, but I don't know if that is enough to lure anyone here. 

Todd bowls? He's a 34 guy 

2 hours ago, N4L said:

Will this job even be desirable? 

Who are the defensive players that will be around long term? Buckner and warner. That's it right now. Tartt Thomas armstead could all be solid and Witherspoon still has upside, but I don't know if that is enough to lure anyone here. 

It's a good question. As of now, we also have the #1 overall pick, and everyone knows that will be the top defensive player. I'm sure that will help.

3 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

It's a good question. As of now, we also have the #1 overall pick, and everyone knows that will be the top defensive player. I'm sure that will help.

Not only do we have the #1 overall pick or let's say at worst #2 overall pick, I'm guessing we also spend fairly big this offseason on the defensive side of the ball. End of the day there are only 30 defensive coordinator jobs in the league so the job itself will always be desirable to someone decent. I don't know if Shanny wants to change the system, but he should be looking at getting someone with more experience. More than anything, he may need to look at upgrading the positional coaches as well. They are the ones that are responsible to developing these young players. 

If you want someone experienced as DC you will need to get away from this system. Don't think anyone that has experience in this system will be hitting the market as a DC or it must be Kris Richard but i believe there is a chance he will be in the HC market.

Yesterday I said did it seems like there are more pass rushers than ever with more than double digit sacks. Like damn near every team had one. So I checked back from the prior two years and last year there were 18 players with 10 or more sacks. In 2016 that number was 16. Through 12 games, there are already 13 defenders with 10 or more sacks. Then there is a good chance you may have 8 or 9 more players that reach that double digit mark before season's end. 

At least we have someone on our team that will reach that mark???? 

2014 was super impressive though with Willis getting hurt before the half way point, Aldon suspended for more than half the season and being a shell of his former self, no Bowman, Justin Smith no longer in peak form and yet we still finished top 5 DVOA that year. That was some peak Vic Fangio coaching right there. Heck, I forgot but we pretty much replaced our starting corners from the prior season as well. 

Fangio is the master at getting the most out of the secondary. The cover 2 man system hides the corners weaknesses a bit but you need some damn good LBs. 

We can't get Fangio, how about instead going after Ed Donatell? Though we would have to completely change our defensive system. 

53 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

2014 was super impressive though with Willis getting hurt before the half way point, Aldon suspended for more than half the season and being a shell of his former self, no Bowman, Justin Smith no longer in peak form and yet we still finished top 5 DVOA that year. That was some peak Vic Fangio coaching right there. Heck, I forgot but we pretty much replaced our starting corners from the prior season as well. 

Fangio is the master at getting the most out of the secondary. The cover 2 man system hides the corners weaknesses a bit but you need some damn good LBs. 

We can't get Fangio, how about instead going after Ed Donatell? Though we would have to completely change our defensive system. 

I brought up donatel before. I think he's still under contract and the bears would have to give permission. Position coach to DC is actually considered a lateral move I'm pretty sure

Archived