Week 13 GDT: Do we really have to go to Seattle?

N4L

Who wins?   

9 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Seattle
    • Seahawks

I have been defending Saleh all year but he really just has to go and with him this whole 4-3 under scheme. We simply don't have the players to execute that systems how its supposed to work and one offseason won't fix all the problems it has. Offesively i think we don't need to change that much with all the guys we are missing we are still putting up big numbers until we just screw ourselves but defensively its just a mess. 

Also Witherspoon seems to be on the referees hitlist because if he even breathes on a guy he gets a DPI called at this point. 

26 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

I have been defending Saleh all year but he really just has to go and with him this whole 4-3 under scheme. We simply don't have the players to execute that systems how its supposed to work and one offseason won't fix all the problems it has. Offesively i think we don't need to change that much with all the guys we are missing we are still putting up big numbers until we just screw ourselves but defensively its just a mess. 

Also Witherspoon seems to be on the referees hitlist because if he even breathes on a guy he gets a DPI called at this point. 

I really don't expect him to go anywhere tbh. I suspect this draft and free agency to be heavy on the defensive side of the football again. 

34 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

It's making me so mad. Like these are tricky tack calls that get called on no one else. He played last week's and this week's route perfectly and got called for DPI. Oh well, his overall play has certainly proved as of late and he's starting to flash. 

It may be time to start playing Thomas inside on early downs. I don't care about how he may not hold up in the run game as most teams are throwing on first down anyways 

Bosa or Polite or Ferrell or Allen and then sign someone like Trey Flowers? 

24 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

I have been defending Saleh all year but he really just has to go and with him this whole 4-3 under scheme. We simply don't have the players to execute that systems how its supposed to work and one offseason won't fix all the problems it has.

Offesively i think we don't need to change that much with all the guys we are missing we are still putting up big numbers until we just screw ourselves but defensively its just a mess. 

I agree with the latter sentiment, but and can certainly get on board with the former. I love the scheme, and wanted it in SF years ago, but it isn't meshing well. Two big problems I see that has been talked about many times over. You have to have a kick arse edge rusher, and you have to have a real plan for 3rd overall pick Soloman Thomas. 

Draft a top edge rusher as the LEO. Buck is awesome as the 3 tech next to him. Guys like MItchell and DJ Jones are fine for the 1 tech. 

Then figure out if Thomas can be that 5 tech next to the 1, because if not? he's one heck of a wasted resource as a backup 3 tech.

Then make adding LB a significant priority (thanks idiot Reuben). Figure out if you want Warner as MLB or WLB, he's fine for either. I like Marsh as the SAM, but you need to make sure a good plan B is there. 

Then, the secondary, ooooy. Going to need to hit big on a FA or draft pick yet again. Maybe some dudes already in-house can step up in their progression. Maybe the returning offense plus just half the needed upgrades can get things back on track as a playoff contender in 2019 until they build further. 

57 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

It's one of the more simpler schemes you're going to find. BUT it takes players who are smart, instinctive, and disciplined. AND it also requires a very good Leo, which we don't have. For watever reason, guys are just not playing sound football. It's baffling really because these same players seemed like they were finally getting comfortable with the scheme, towards the end of last season. But it's like everyone in the back 7 totally regressed this year. There seems to be breakdowns in coverage on almost every pass play. I'm not sure Saleh gets fired but I think you're going to see some changes to the defensive staff because whatever these positional coaches are harping on during the week, is not transferring over to Sundays. 

1 hour ago, Justone2 said:

I don't know about the 4-3 Under. It's not really the problem, I think. Changing scheme won't magically create edge pressure. We need edge rushers for that. We need talent. But yeah, I don't think Saleh should feel secure with his job. If we do change DC, do we make a big scheme change as well? I don't know. I just really want some pass rush, just so we can see what the secondary can actually do.

And yeah, Spoon's DPIs are getting ridiculous. I feel bad for him, because even when he has great coverage, he gets a flag. Earlier in the year, his utilization (and play) didn't help his confidence. But since then, I feel like he's played some good ball, and 2/3 of his penalties seem really weak. I know veteran receivers will often get the benefit of the doubt, but at some point, you can't call penalties every single time. I wonder how accountable are these referees held for some of these calls. At least in position meetings, I hope the coach tell Spoon what is and isn't a penalty, and at least two of his penalties today shouldn't have been, in my opinion. It's just that he's an easy target, and when you have a Baldwin on the other side, we get what we got...

Another great effort by Pettis. It's great to see him finish the year strong. He has some sweet moves. Just imagine if he was just a tiny bit faster. I mean, he was fast enough on the long TD, but barely. He has such great quickness and vision. 

We have pieces. Can't wait for next year. And I hope we get off to a quick start. I don't want to see Jimmy struggle for 2.5 weeks before finding his groove (although he'll be coming off his injury and will be rusty). I don't think we can afford early struggles. We have to win early, so that we finally get the calls on our side. A 2-10 team doesn't get any respect. But still, we're fighting. It's good to see these guys take pride in their play, even when the breaks don't go our way.

And quietly, Buckner will reach double digit. He's had an uneven year, but he's legit one of the better defender in the league. Let's just get him a complementary edge rusher. And corners who can actually catch the ball...

9 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

I don't know about the 4-3 Under. It's not really the problem, I think. Changing scheme won't magically create edge pressure. We need edge rushers for that. We need talent. But yeah, I don't think Saleh should feel secure with his job. If we do change DC, do we make a big scheme change as well? I don't know. I just really want some pass rush, just so we can see what the secondary can actually do.

And yeah, Spoon's DPIs are getting ridiculous. I feel bad for him, because even when he has great coverage, he gets a flag. Earlier in the year, his utilization (and play) didn't help his confidence. But since then, I feel like he's played some good ball, and 2/3 of his penalties seem really weak. I know veteran receivers will often get the benefit of the doubt, but at some point, you can't call penalties every single time. I wonder how accountable are these referees held for some of these calls. At least in position meetings, I hope the coach tell Spoon what is and isn't a penalty, and at least two of his penalties today shouldn't have been, in my opinion. It's just that he's an easy target, and when you have a Baldwin on the other side, we get what we got...

Another great effort by Pettis. It's great to see him finish the year strong. He has some sweet moves. Just imagine if he was just a tiny bit faster. I mean, he was fast enough on the long TD, but barely. He has such great quickness and vision. 

We have pieces. Can't wait for next year. And I hope we get off to a quick start. I don't want to see Jimmy struggle for 2.5 weeks before finding his groove (although he'll be coming off his injury and will be rusty). I don't think we can afford early struggles. We have to win early, so that we finally get the calls on our side. A 2-10 team doesn't get any respect. But still, we're fighting. It's good to see these guys take pride in their play, even when the breaks don't go our way.

And quietly, Buckner will reach double digit. He's had an uneven year, but he's legit one of the better defender in the league. Let's just get him a complementary edge rusher. And corners who can actually catch the ball...

Spoon was only called for one penalty today, but the penalty today and last week were laughably bad. And then I even disagree with the one against the Giants. That was another bad call. Ball wasn't even close to Beckham and Spoon got his head back at the last second. It is funny how reputations work. Sherman still is a super physical player and has been called for like two penalties all season while Spoon seems to get one called on him every week? Lol.

Pettis does lack the extra speed but his route running is so smooth he will always stay getting open. He is just one of those guys you have to stick with one a route for a bit longer than other receivers as at times he won't be initially open but once he makes his move he will get open. You could definitely tell he's been working with Mullens quite a bit as they are starting to develop a nice chemistry. 

My thing with Saleh is his unit has way too many breakdowns and he's not really a good in game caller. What I mean is he sits back when he should be bringing the blitz and in other times tries to get more creative than he should. Just quite frankly looks overwhelmed out there. And he calls a stunt on most 3rd downs that opposing offenses have caught on. I don't think he called as many this week but last week was terrible. 

15 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Pettis does lack the extra speed but his route running is so smooth he will always stay getting open.

I'm certainly not criticizing him for a lack of speed. He has plenty. I'm just saying he could be in the upper tier of WRs if he had just that extra gear. But I feel like our offense will be coming from every direction, next year, it will be more diverse, and we don't need an Antonio Brown to make it work. I was just watching the game today, and I felt like Pettis might already be a 1000 yards receiver if he was on the Seahawks. A guy who always ends up being open on a team whose QB always ends up with extra time to throw (unless Ronald Blair is left unblocked). 

Can't wait for next year. Imagine all we could do with a McKinnon. He's a former QB, too, so we could see him throwing him the ball at some point. Add all our other weapons. Kittle being a stud. Pettis coming on strong. Goodwin, if he returns to 2017 form. Juice. And Breida and now Wilson, who are looking great. Even Mostert was looking great. Bourne has been solid. Celek has been invisible this year, though. But who cares... I prefer to consider Juice as TE2, since he's splitting out wide so much, and doing a mighty fine job of it. That's the flexibility. With Kittle's flexibility of pretty much having WR speed, McKinnon being as good a receive, or greater, as he is a runner (and the ability to throw, don't forget). So many possibilities. We only need a good Maestro to conduct this orchestra of unique talents. 

Archived