What prospect damaged himself the most?

BleedTheClock

2 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

Mitch Leinder was predicted a early first round pick by McShay...

I mean, every throw was basically a disaster.

Undrafted and just got signed by the Vikings today.

I think we have to separate players who were actually good and severely regressed (which is extremely rare) against players raised up artificially by national media like Mitch Leidner was. 

44 minutes ago, CalhounLambeau said:

I think we have to separate players who were actually good and severely regressed (which is extremely rare) against players raised up artificially by national media like Mitch Leidner was. 

I was more or less being a smart-*** because of the Vikings signing him.

I realized what we were looking for.

Arian Foster was viewed as a 2-4th round guy following his Junior season, but stayed for his Senior season where he fumbled all the way to UDFA status.

Michael Bush was being touted as a 1st round pick and could have been one had he declared his Junior year. He then broke his leg the first game of his Senior season, and dropped to the 4th round.

There was a list of QBs who were touted as stars but opted for a Senior season that caused them to drop:

- Matt Leinert was talked about as a lock #1 pick, and would have went ahead of Alex Smith and Aaron Rodgers in 2005 but stayed for his Senior season; He still went 10th overall, but Vince Young and Jay Cutler surpassed him.

- Brady Quinn was being hyped up as someone who would go ahead of Young/Cutler/Leinert, but stayed. Following draft, was sitting in the green room until the Browns picked him in the 20s, behind Jamarcus Russell.

- THAT year, Brian Brohm was viewed as a guy in that same stratosphere as Russell/Quinn, but opted for a Senior season at Louisville. He fell out of the first round entirely, getting picked by Green Bay in the 2nd round.

Drew Henson is a peculiar story as well - once upon a time, it was either Henson or David Carr who was viewed as the #1 pick for the Texans in 2002. Drew chose to pursue a baseball career instead, and after sputtering out in the Yankees farm system, opted to play football again. The Texans did select Henson in the 6th round of the 2003 draft, anticipating the baseball career to be short lived - the Texans then traded the rights to Henson to the Dallas Cowboys for a 3rd round pick. Henson never got going, finding himself as the 3rd QB behind Drew Bledsoe and little known backup Tony Romo. After stints in Canada and NFL Europe, Henson returned to the Yankees as a scout.

15 hours ago, jrry32 said:

There are better examples, but La'el Collins popped into my head. It wasn't all his fault (or mostly his fault). But he went from the first round to UDFA.

Didn't Collins and his team start telling teams not to draft him because he wouldn't sign? 

16 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Was it Cardale Jones that decided to forgo NFL entry for another year in college, then fell off a cliff, was replaced and his stock plummeted? 

Yeah - he had an epic run in the CFB playoffs, people were quick to state he was a top 15 prospect...if he declared. He went back to OSU as a RsJR, and promptly lost his starting gig to JT Barrett. 

Archived