16th Coach of the GB Packers (let the search begin)

squire12

I watched the Titans at Wembley this year and came away very unimpressed. Its a limited offence built around short passes and an unimpressive running game. There wasn't a whole lot of creativity or making big plays. They weren't easy on the eye to watch which surprised me considering the background LaFleur came from.

He coached and learned under both Shanahans and McVay. He coached McNabb, RG3, Cousins, Ryan, Goff and Mariota. Thats fairly impressive in its own right.

When Gruden was hired he chose to retain McVay and make him his offensive coordinator. McVay went from coaching TE to coordinator whilst LaFleur who was the QB coach was let go. Ouch! He bounced around a bit continuing his QB coaching and tasted some success coaching Ryan to a superbowl appearance under Kyle Shanahan. He finally got the OC gig under McVay for one year parlaying that to a playcalling OC gig at the Titans which so far has been very average at best.

There's main 4 knocks on him imo.

1. Gruden chose McVay over him for offensive coordinator.

2. Success at Falcons is mainly due to Shanahan rather than him.

3. Did not get hired as Atlanta coordinator when Shanahan went to SF

4. Success at Rams is mainly due to McVay rather than him. The fact the Rams offence has not skipped a beat without him is evidence of that,

I'm not convinced he is the right guy for us. Nice resume but we would be hiring based on Shanahan and McVay successes/reputations rather than his actual abilities imo. In the last 4 years McVay has been coordinator and head coach. LaFleur in the last 4 years only managed to get his first playcalling OC gig this year. Why was no-one around the league jumping on LaFleur to give him a coordinator gig in the last four years? He had to rely on the successes of his mates to get to where he is now and I think that speaks alot about his standing in the NFL and his capability to be a head coach. He might be a head coach one day but I don't think he's ready now, its too early for him,

Chris Petersen from Washington and Pat Fitzgerald from NW are still my 2 favorites by far. I don't think the college thing matters. You look for the guys that get the most out of the talent they have. I think a coach, especially a head coach, needs to be a leader and a teacher. Someone who can communicate and get players to buy in. Not in a rah rah Rex Ryan kind of way, but believing in the system and the process.  They also need the expertise in their side of the ball, but it's easier to lean on coordinators for scheme if needed. Both of these guys run a fair amount of NFL concepts in their offenses.

I really don't like any of the likely NFL candidates right now. McCarthy is the best on the market by far. It was time to make a change, his message and systems got stale here, but I expect good things from him.

28 minutes ago, spilltray said:

I really don't like any of the likely NFL candidates right now. McCarthy is the best on the market by far. It was time to make a change, his message and systems got stale here, but I expect good things from him.

Not contesting your opinion per se but I read an interesting statistic the other day put our by the NFLPA.
The average career length of an NFL player is 3.3 years. Those drafted in the first round - 6 years.

Hard for messages to get stale when the player turnover / movement is so great. I think this concept is overblown.
People fill theaters today to watch Broadway shows written in the 50's, view movies from the 60's or buy products based on ad slogans from the 70's.

Message carries.

MM with a top notch OC would have been fine in my book. Actually "update" the playbook (where necessary and I dont claim to have that insight) and move on.
Philbin as OC didnt represent an update IMO.

What I think of Fitzgerald would depend entirely on who filled the OC and DC roles.  I could live with something like Fitzgerald as HC, Gase as OC and Pettine as DC.  I just have no idea what kind of staff Fitzgerald would put together, given his limited ties to the NFL.

Just now, Leader said:

MM with a top notch OC would have been fine in my book. Actually "update" the playbook (where necessary and I dont claim to have that insight) and move on.

That's the entire problem.  MM will never defer to a separate OC.  Never.

11 hours ago, Slinky said:

My thoughts as well. But he seemed pretty adamant about it, finishing up by saying he isn't going anywhere and it's just the beginning. We shall see. Like you said, why even interview then? 

Well like they tell you in any line of work, you never turn down an interview because the experience is so valuable. Plus he probably feels like he owes it to Murphy as he has that job due to him. 

Guess we'll find out what kind of salesman Murph is, and how many commas the check would have if Fitz is his guy.

My guess is they will interview Fitzgerald as an informal consultation- get his views on what he would do with the team, even though he is not interested in the job.

Often times that is why people get interviews even though they are not real candidates- it can help clarify issues and clarify the direction the team should go.

If we're all perfectly honest, none of us have a clue who the Packers will hire, but I think there are some qualities that all leaders must have, whether CEO of a company, President of a college, or NFL HC. Let's explore some of those qualities. Here are my thoughts.

(1) Organizational skills. The new HC has to be able to organize team meetings, practices, etc. so they run effectively and efficiently.

(2) Credibility. He must have demonstrated he can be successful as a coach. The new HC also has to understand all three phases of the game, offense, defense, and special teams. He will have a specialty area, but must understand all three. This may be even more important with a super smart, experienced QB like Rodgers. Without credibility the players won't buy in. 

(3) Motivational skills. The NFL season is a long grind. Keeping people (players and coaches) enthusiastic and fired up is important. Some charisma might help with this too.

(4) Ability to Delegate. The ability to delegate responsibility in such a complex environment will be another key skill. Many people who rise to the top in organizations are control freaks. Trying to do this as an NFL HC would be a disaster. Identifying competent and trustworthy people to do some of the work will be important for success.

(5) Game Management skills. McCarthy made this obvious.

(6) People Management skills. I suspect there are lots of strong personalities in an NFL organization (players and coaches). Keeping everyone pulling together and harmonious is another key to success. Conflict resolution know how is a must. I suspect lots of great X and O guys (coordinators) fail on this point. 

(7) NFL Connections. This is needed to attract quality assistants.

Find the guy who checks all these boxes and we've got our man. Maybe.

8 minutes ago, Leader said:

Not contesting your opinion per se but I read an interesting statistic the other day put our by the NFLPA.
The average career length of an NFL player is 3.3 years. Those drafted in the first round - 6 years.

Hard for messages to get stale when the player turnover / movement is so great. I think this concept is overblown.
People fill theaters today to watch Broadway shows written in the 50's, view movies from the 60's or buy products based on ad slogans from the 70's.

Message carries.

I don't think the message gets stale, but after 10 years it becomes harder to create new ways to use the same players, and other teams have enough film to plan for what you do.  It will happen to combos like McVay and Goff too.  Just give it a few years.

8 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

That's the entire problem.  MM will never defer to a separate OC.  Never.

This could be true - but we'd never be sure until it was mandated from above - which to my knowledge it never was.

5 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I am actually curious how Mac's new team performs on offense.  I don't think it's unreasonable to think Mac's new team could be very successful on offense by playing within Mac's system as designed.

Interesting thought and would be interested your thoughts as to why/how - when it supposedly couldnt here.

1 minute ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

I don't think the message gets stale, but after 10 years it becomes harder to create new ways to use the same players, and other teams have enough film to plan for what you do.  It will happen to combos like McVay and Goff too.  Just give it a few years.

Thats where the next and improved OC comes into play.............

And again - the "stale message" concept has to be put into context of how long a player is hearing it. Most of them arent around long enough to finish the meal - no less have it go stale on them. Now.......if your 14year QB decides to tune you out.....that could be problematic. But thats the 14year vet actions - not the message getting stale. There's a difference.

Archived