16th Coach of the GB Packers (let the search begin)

squire12

Question for those who may know more about this process than I do. If during this process a candidate blows Gute away does he immediately cancel the rest of the interviews or do they go forward with them even knowing they already have their guy?  I am curious since it looks like the packers seem to want to interview everyone.

2 hours ago, Chili said:

Now we're starting to get a feel for what Gute and Murphy are looking for. They're clearly of mind to look for an offence orientated coach. Guys like Toub, Richard, Fangio are not getting a look in at this time.

The search seems to be split into two camps:

A young innovative offensive coach - McDaniels, LaFleur, and possibly Gase and Steichen.

and coaches that has leadership and motivation skills with a strong focus on culture -  Fitzgerald, Caldwell, Flores, Campbell, Pagano (LOL)

I'm not sure where Munchak fits in.  I won't be surprised to see if we will eventually look into Zac Taylor, Bieniemy and Sirianni. I'm surprised to hear very little about the college coaches.

Philbin has ties with Campbell and Pagano. Gute with McDaniels. Thompson with Munchak, Murphy with Fitzgerald. Sounds like Murphy and Gute are leaning on people they trust within the organisation. Also worthy of note is the request to interview Flores - a defensive coach. He's not a token Rooney Rule interview as they already fufilled this with Caldwell. They clearly heard good things about him as well as a number of other NFL teams who have requested an interview.

If what I've been reading about Flores is accurate, then I think there's a really good chance he's going to be a stud HC when he gets his shot.  I'm not sure that he's ready just yet, but when he is I'll be surprised if he's not successful.

41 minutes ago, Reaper said:

Question for those who may know more about this process than I do. If during this process a candidate blows Gute away does he immediately cancel the rest of the interviews or do they go forward with them even knowing they already have their guy?  I am curious since it looks like the packers seem to want to interview everyone.

The simplest explanation is you cancel remaining interviews and hire the guy IF there's competition for his services. Otherwise you keep things close to the vest and pick as many brains as possible.

41 minutes ago, Reaper said:

He could. But having conducted several high profile interviews, I can say that would be a serious mistake. 

1 minute ago, Mr Anonymous said:

The simplest explanation is you cancel remaining interviews and hire the guy IF there's competition for his services. Otherwise you keep things close to the vest and pick as many brains as possible.

If GB is a candidate's preferred destination, he will play the waiting game. 

I say hiring someone before interviewing all the top tier candidates is a mistake, because even though someone "blows you away" the next guy might even be better. I've seen that happen.

It is common for teams to "interview" coaches from rival teams to gain an insight into the inner workings of the team. So far we haven't brought anyone in yet such as Jim Bob Cooter, George Godfrey, Mark Helfrich, Vic Fangio, Jay Rodgers, Kevin Stefanski and Adam Zimmer. I hope we will do some of that.

29 minutes ago, FAH1223 said:

Matt LaFleur MIGHT be my top choice... he's the closest thing to a McVay or Nagy type. 

Where would we be without McVay or Nagy....

I mean thank god they came into HC positons, so fans on message boards can say that’s the type of coach we need.

can someone call Pete Carroll and ask him how he feels no longer be the “freshest” coach in the NFL?

Who do you guys think is the McVay of Defence? I think Kris Richard has a strong claim to that title. Not many people can claim coaching the Legion of Boom in their resume as well as winning the Superbowl with them. Still only 39. Excellent coach and excellent communicator.

Brian Flores is obviously the other one. Getting the best out of his position groups at safety and linebacker and winning two Superbowls. Responsible for putting Butler on for THAT interception and bringing out elite performances from Hightower. Smart too and had his fingers in many pies... Scout, Assistant offence and special teams, safeties coach, linebacker coach, defensive coordinator. He's well rounded with plenty of experience despite being only 38 years old.

As far as potential head coaches go these two are pretty good. They surpass many of the offensive head coaching candidates imo.

Archived