16th Coach of the GB Packers (let the search begin)

squire12

52 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

what is the sample size of HCs that were fired and immediately rehired

Unknown

I did find this tid bit in an article:

“Since the 2005 offseason, there have been 75 new coaches hired in the NFL. Of those, 49 (65 percent) already have been fired. Of course, 10 seasons is a lot to expect from any new coaching hire, but the majority of coaches hired every season from 2005–12 have since been canned. The 49 that were fired lasted fewer than three years on average, and 30 of them never even made the playoffs before being canned.”

I cannot support a Gase or Monken as a candidate. It’s either McDaniels or bust at this point.

I can’t see McDaniels leaving NE unless he wants the GB job. He stands to inherit the Pats from B.B., so he will only leave to a playoff caliber team.

Just now, PackGymRat said:

Unknown

“Since the 2005 offseason, there have been 75 new coaches hired in the NFL. Of those, 49 (65 percent) already have been fired. Of course, 10 seasons is a lot to expect from any new coaching hire, but the majority of coaches hired every season from 2005–12 have since been canned. The 49 that were fired lasted fewer than three years on average, and 30 of them never even made the playoffs before being canned.”

I cannot support a Gase or Monken as a candidate. It’s either McDaniels or bust at this point.

I can’t see McDaniels leaving NE unless he wants the GB job. He stands to inherit the Pats from B.B., so he will only leave to a playoff caliber team.

You're again assuming that BB is nearing retirement and isn't leaving JMD with empty cupboards in NE to coach with -- something I'm sure that JMD is well considering -- at least with Green Bay he has 4-5 years with some really strong pieces as a building block in his first coaching experience since Denver. This is something we can't say will for sure be the case when BB retires and hands over the reins.

1 minute ago, SSG said:

Andy Reid won 11 games the year after he was fired in Philly.

John Fox made the playoffs 4 straight times after getting fired in Carolina.  

Tony Dungy had success immediately after getting fired in Tampa.

Bruce Arians wasn't fired but he wasn't retained as HC.  He won 10 games in his first year at Arizona.

I'm not a huge Gase fan but I  don't understand why he isn't considered a good candidate but McDaniels is considered "one of the best in a long time".  Gase was a lot more successful as a HC despite having a substantially less talented team.  

Great info....only one problem all those head coaches were “tenured” coaches. 

Andy went to a stable Chiefs Team (Alex smith at the helm).

Dungy landed a HOF and one of the best QBs of all time in Peyton.

And I have a recent counter point that negates that...Tom Coughlin. 

I wouldn’t put Gase in the same paragraph as those (possible) HOF coaches.

McDaniels is an offensive mind and can easily put together a staff who would die at the opportunity to be with him and AR. Can’t say the same for Gase.

2 hours ago, MantyWrestler said:

This is the most reasonable response so far. As others have said interviewing more guys to find assistants as well to me is futile. The coach should pick his guys. 

To your point, if the guy I pick to coach, doesn’t know who he wants to pick as assistants, then he’s not the guy. If those assistants don’t want to come with him then also, we may have picked the wrong guy. 

I would doubt most coaching candidates have EVERY assistant in the bag...   Couple key guys but they are going to have to find people ...

2 hours ago, Nick_gb said:

I actually agreed they may offer the advice but that the advice wouldn't matter at the end of the day if the HC they hired had other names in mind. Murphy nor Gute will force the next HC to "keep" or "hire" anyone specific. 

Never suggested otherwise.

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

A "mature" JMD is probably one of the best candidates in a long time IMO.

Based on what?  It's crazy that this exact opinion seems to regurgitated every single year (Matt Patricia just last year).  "Insert New England assistant name" is the best candidate in a long time".  There is absolutely not different between Josh McDaniels and Charlie Weis or Eric Mangini or Matt Patricia or Romeo Cremmel or Bill O'Brien   Just one of many New England assistants that other fan bases get infatuated with based on very little other the need to be like New England. 

4 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

You're again assuming that BB is nearing retirement and isn't leaving JMD with empty cupboards in NE to coach with -- something I'm sure that JMD is well considering -- at least with Green Bay he has 4-5 years with some really strong pieces as a building block in his first coaching experience since Denver. This is something we can't say will for sure be the case when BB retires and hands over the reins.

True,

But is rumors are to be believed BB and Brady aren’t on the best of terms anymore. BB wanted to keep Golpaapapapapapos as backup QB and eventually replace Tom, Tom wasn’t having that.

So once Tom falls off (and he will). Does BB want to start all over with no clear franchise QB? I doubt it. If they don’t win a Super Bowl this year or next, it’s hard to see how B.B. keeps going.

10 minutes ago, PackGymRat said:

Unknown

Boy I wouldn't want to follow Bellichick...  Esp if there's no Brady at the helm....

3 minutes ago, SSG said:

Based on what?  It's crazy that this exact opinion seems to regurgitated every single year (Matt Patricia just last year).  "Insert New England assistant name" is the best candidate in a long time".  There is absolutely not different between Josh McDaniels and Charlie Weis or Eric Mangini or Matt Patricia or Romeo Cremmel or Bill O'Brien   Just one of many New England assistants that other fan bases get infatuated with based on very little other the need to be like New England. 

Josh McDaniels did well enough in Denver with what he had. Was young and bit naive. 

McDaniels is clearly in another league compared to other assistants before him.

But if you guys rather go to DeFliipo, Gase, or Monken Be my guest. That’s a bigger shot in the dark. Obviously the Phins saw something in Gase that made them question wether he would be the long term solution. They made the same conclusion with Joe Philbin and I don’t think anyone is questioning that decision.

LaFleur is McVay type dark horse, that might sneak through.

5 minutes ago, ptisme said:

Boy I wouldn't want to follow Bellichick...  Esp if there's no Brady at the helm....

Brady excels in the system at his age. Look at the plays they ran against GB, short passes. 5-10 yard plays opening up room for running game and some 15 yarders mixed in.

Its easy to be a QB in that system where they are not relying on your pinpoint accuracy or arm strength anymore (which Brady is starting to lose).

Brady takes what the defense gives him, AR is a West Coast gun slinger Who on 3rd and 5 was attempting 40 yard pass where as Brady would throw a checkdown for 5-10 yarder.

Two different philosophies.

BB has shown with Cassel and Glapopososos that they can excel in the system.

If BB opens the vault for McDaniels upon retirement, hard to see how it’s still a bad job.

Hes got a great owner in Kraft, solid scouting for drafts and FA, and great assistants.

2 minutes ago, PackGymRat said:

Great info....only one problem all those head coaches were “tenured” coaches. 

Andy went to a stable Chiefs Team (Alex smith at the helm).

Dungy landed a HOF and one of the best QBs of all time in Peyton.

And I have a recent counter point that negates that...Tom Coughlin. 

I wouldn’t put Gase in the same paragraph as those (possible) HOF coaches.

McDaniels is an offensive mind and can easily put together a staff who would die at the opportunity to be with him and AR. Can’t say the same for Gase.

You didn't say anything about tenured coaches.  I  also wasn't putting Gase in the same category as anyone, just answering your question.

The Chiefs won 2 games prior to the arrival of Reid who I'm sure had something to do with KC bringing in Smith.

McDaniels is no better of an offensive mind than Gase who was an OC for a record setting offense.  It's pure assumption that McDaniels will be any more successful bringing in assistant coaches.  Coaches will be lined up to coach in Green Bay regardless of who they bring in as HC.

1 hour ago, Nick_gb said:

I don't 

Agreed -- I don't know man it's either Gase or McDaniels for me or it's a bust. I'm just not overly enthused with the candidates that are available this year, unfortunately.

I'm not wowed by the candidates either.  Mike Florio and Peter King were doing a fantasy draft for Packers head coach a while back .. one of Florio's picks was Sean Payton .. seemed to think for the right compensation he could be had.  I doubt it could happen, but I'd ship them back pick #30 whatever and a middle round pick to bring Payton to GB.  They have a couple decent candidates in house, and maybe Payton is ready for a new challenge.  He was crushed when the Packers chose McCarthy over him back in '06 .. wonder if he still has that Packers itch.  He was apparently was really thrilled with being there and seeing all of the Packers history first hand.  If he wasn't having such a great run this year I think we'd hear more about him maybe being available.  He has two years left on his contract .. that pays him around 9 mil per.

5 minutes ago, SSG said:

You didn't say anything about tenured coaches.  I  also wasn't putting Gase in the same category as anyone, just answering your question.

The Chiefs won 2 games prior to the arrival of Reid who I'm sure had something to do with KC bringing in Smith.

McDaniels is no better of an offensive mind than Gase who was an OC for a record setting offense.  It's pure assumption that McDaniels will be any more successful bringing in assistant coaches.  Coaches will be lined up to coach in Green Bay regardless of who they bring in as HC.

THIS IS MY POINT!

*point refuted*

NO, THIS OTHER THING IS MY POINT!

Gotta love the innerwebs. 

Archived