16th Coach of the GB Packers (let the search begin)

squire12

I don't 

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

Man, I just do not see the appeal of Dan Campbell. Let someone else make that mistake. 

Agreed -- I don't know man it's either Gase or McDaniels for me or it's a bust. I'm just not overly enthused with the candidates that are available this year, unfortunately.

7 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

I don't 

Agreed -- I don't know man it's either Gase or McDaniels for me or it's a bust. I'm just not overly enthused with the candidates that are available this year, unfortunately.

A "mature" JMD is probably one of the best candidates in a long time IMO.

9 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

I don't 

LIS yesterday, it's either McD, Gase or LaFleur for me. I think LaFleur could be special given the right talent. Not much to work with in Tennessee on offense. Wish he would've been patient and waited for a little more talented offense lol.

I feel better about a failed head coach than I do one who has never been a head coach.  Getting fired I'm sure is a very humbling experience in which even the most stubborn people would have to reflect upon and learn from.

It's why I'm not so concerned about the past of McDaniels.

I don’t know about Gase.

Can anyone name a HC that was fired then hired shortly after by another team as HC that went on to be SUCCESSFUL in his first season?

Usually successful HC’s take a year off or two and don’t rush into the next available job.

I mean if Gase was such a gem he wouldn’t be fired by the Phins. They would be patient with him.

6 minutes ago, PackGymRat said:

I don’t know about Gase.

Can anyone name a HC that was fired then hired shortly after by another team as HC that went on to be SUCCESSFUL in his first season?

Usually successful HC’s take a year off or two and don’t rush into the next available job.

I mean if Gase was such a gem he wouldn’t be fired by the Phins. They would be patient with him.

what is the sample size of HCs that were fired and immediately rehired

33 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

I don't 

This is one of the reasons that I suspect GB is targeting JMD. They might not have let MM go without knowing who would be available that they actually wanted as a new HC. 

12 minutes ago, blueswedeshoes said:

This is one of the reasons that I suspect GB is targeting JMD. They might not have let MM go without knowing who would be available that they actually wanted as a new HC. 

I mean that could be but GMs constantly keep a list of coaching candidates they’re interested in. Gutey has publically said that.

1 hour ago, Nick_gb said:

I honestly don't think that is at all the case here. Murphy for most of his tenure in GB so far has actually been very "hands-off" he became more hands-on after the change to Gute and I suspect once we have our new Head Coach in place he will start to slowly become more hands-off again. He's just making sure we're building a solid leadership structure from top to bottom and he'll go back to doing Murphy things. He's not at all going to force a HC to hire specific assistants, he's not that ignorant.

I don’t either. I was responding to someone saying all these interviews could also be to get ideas about assistant coaches as well. I don’t think that. 

I question interviewing a dozen candidates though. 1) They should have a short list for a new coach but with so many interviews it appears that’s not the case, it’s a looong list. 2) If they really like someone, pull the trigger. With no word after interviewing JM, he might not be a slam dunk people think he was. Might have been high on their list but they were underwhelmed. 3) Interviewing or looking at so many candidates can also confuse you and or muddy the waters. Only way I would want to look at a dozen or so possibilities is that after each interview I thought, this guy sucks. 

They keep adding interviews so maybe that’s the case. These first 4-5 guys have not impressed them enough.  

59 minutes ago, PackGymRat said:

I don’t know about Gase.

Yeah, Andy Reid.

38 minutes ago, PackGymRat said:

I don’t know about Gase.

Andy Reid won 11 games the year after he was fired in Philly.

John Fox made the playoffs 4 straight times after getting fired in Carolina.  

Tony Dungy had success immediately after getting fired in Tampa.

Bruce Arians wasn't fired but he wasn't retained as HC.  He won 10 games in his first year at Arizona.

I'm not a huge Gase fan but I  don't understand why he isn't considered a good candidate but McDaniels is considered "one of the best in a long time".  Gase was a lot more successful as a HC despite having a substantially less talented team.  

Archived