16th Coach of the GB Packers (let the search begin)

squire12

8 minutes ago, PackGymRat said:

They started his first season with 6 straight wins including beating the Pats that year with potential to making the playoffs.

There was locker room issue (Brandon marshall) and too much power in his hands which led to his own demise. He was young.

But I like how when everyone talks about the Phins and their record everyone says “oh well its the Phins what do you expect” then when it comes to making a point about JMD “omg look at his record in Denver”.

But last I checked everyone is interviewing JMD and he was handed the Colts HC job last year.

But I guess everyone in NFL knows nothing and you have the inside scoop.

JMD is the best candidate on the board barring Bruce Arians.

Everyone else is a shot in the dark, just like MM was when he was hired.

Here are some notables for Gase 2018 season:

Notable Losses against: Bills, Lions, Bengals Jags 

Wins against: Titans, Jets, raiders, bears, pats, bills.

Outside of Bears and a miracle game against pats....who did Gase really beat? 

I mean I just don’t understand the Gase equation here....what am I missing?

The locker room issue was Josh McDaniels.  His front office hated him.  His coaching staff hated him.  His team hated him.  

Don't think anyone is drooling over Gase's record in Miami though it was a very talent deprived team, especially on offense.  He did win 10 games in his first year (McDaniels won 11 total in his 1 3/4 season).   On top of not being overly talented that 2016 team was in cap hell.  They lost Olivier Vernon, Lamar Miller, Derrick Shelby, Kelvin Sheppard, and Rishard Matthews to other teams during free agency.  They also cut their best CB and Gregg Jennings that offseason.  

Jim Caldwell is getting interviewed as well.... doesn't mean he's a great candidate.  

Given the talent in Miami, his 2018 season was extremely respectable IMO.  As far as rosters go, it's one of the worst in the NFL.

1 hour ago, PackGymRat said:

Wins against: Titans, Jets, raiders, bears, pats, bills.

Outside of Bears and a miracle game against pats....who did Gase really beat? 

I mean I just don’t understand the Gase equation here....what am I missing?

So, his team beat two of the top four seeds in the NFL, and those don't count?

He was offensive coordinator for a HOF QB who happened to have an MVP year that year.  Does that count?

All of these coaching candidates have potential downsides.  Best to let the Packers search committee sort it out, and trust that Murphy and Gutekunst will figure it out.

21 hours ago, Chili said:

Monken is interesting but i'm not a fan of the idea of a extremely pass heavy offence. This team is in need of some balance.

No, it's not.  It's in need of an improvement to the passing game schematically.  We should never be a balanced team.  The team should look balanced because we run up a lead in the 1st half then run the ball to kill the clock, giving the illusion of balance.  The only effective use of the running game is to shorten the game and to provide a counter-punch to your passing game.

Gase has exactly the personnel here with Graham and Adams and Jones to run the offense he loves.  3x1 sets with a single back like jones who can run the outside zone.

Graham is lethal and was lethal in Seattle in the 3x1 isolation they ran.  Get back to that!

McDaniels would do good things with this team as it stands, but would probably remake the image of the personnel a bit more than Gase.  Gase is the fastest track to improvement, and I would have to really believe McDaniels is the better coach by a good margin to pass on Gase over him.

5 minutes ago, IBleedGreen&Gold said:

Call me crazy but I hope they base the hiring decision on how they come across in the interviews and the vision they lay out for the team. Also, what assistants they feel they can bring and of course, how they are going to refocus the talent of AR.

This is the most important, and also a coach who will bring a focus to the run game more. Ryan Grant said before that McCarthy would barely practice the run game, not saying thats bad because of how effective our passing game was for years, but now I think its best to balance things out more as Rodgers gets older and older.

3 hours ago, ptisme said:

I would doubt most coaching candidates have EVERY assistant in the bag...   Couple key guys but they are going to have to find people ...

I never said they needed to have them all in the bag but they should know who they want. I highly doubt this coaching search is also being used to help their next coach find and put together a staff. Now he might say he wants coach X and Gute might say he heard disturbing things about him but in the end it’s stilm the head coaches choice. I’m also sure he will give them an idea of who he wants as a staff and if they don’t approve of the staff, that person will not be the next head coach. 

Archived