16th Coach of the GB Packers (let the search begin)

squire12

John or Jim Harbaugh or Bruce Arian.

Anything else is a major risk. This isn’t a rebuilding team, this is a team that needs a experienced HC to take the team to the promise land.

Aaron cannot wait for a brand new HC to get his bearings straight.

No college football coach and no NFL assistants/coordinators please.

5 minutes ago, PackGymRat said:

Anything else is a major risk. This isn’t a rebuilding team, this is a team that needs a experienced HC to take the team to the promise land.

I still like Bruce Arians best .. despite the age thing.  I just get the idea he is the no nonsense type that can get this thing turned around quickly.  He's worked with big ego qb's before and had a ton of success.

The NFL is all about connections. What head coach candidates are Murphy and Gute connected to? Who are their agents? Who is Jed Hughes of Korn Ferry NFL connections? (we used him to search for new CEO and GM resulting in Murphy and Gute hires)

Murphy - Pat Fitzgerald (He hired him at NW)

Gute - Josh McDaniels (via 49ers interviews), Matt Campbell (Scouts are fond of Iowa State - Bulaga, Hyde, Jackson)

Jed Hughes - Jim Harbaugh (I think he helped the Michigan hire him)

12 minutes ago, PackGymRat said:

This is narrow minded ... Sean McVay seems on track to take the Rams to the promise land in his second year.

Its not about experience vs not experience. Age vs youth. It’s about getting the best coach with the best plan and the best staff.

If that is some 30 something I’m cool with it. I just want the best.

6 minutes ago, Chili said:

The NFL is all about connections. What head coach candidates are Murphy and Gute connected to? Who are their agents? Who is Jed Hughes of Korn Ferry NFL connections? (we used him to search for new CEO and GM resulting in Murphy and Gute hires)

Murphy - Pat Fitzgerald (He hired him at NW)

Gute - Josh McDaniels (via 49ers interviews), Matt Campbell (Scouts are fond of Iowa State - Bulaga, Hyde, Jackson)

Jed Hughes - Jim Harbaugh (I think he helped the Michigan hire him)

Iowa is not Iowa State, but I understand your line of thinking. The NFL is all about professional pedigree and connections. IMHO that's why there are so many failures. Mediocre people are promoted only because they have the right connections. (Person X is hired because he worked as a coaching intern back in the day with Person Y who is now the GM of Team Z. But not because he is the most talented candidate.) The whole thing is a lot of rot. Hopefully Murphy and Gutekunst (both of whom I'm gaining more respect for every day) will forget about connections and run an honest search that identifies the best fit candidate, no matter what his connections. 

25 minutes ago, chucknorris101 said:

I mean BR is just reporting the Vegas line. If Vegas knows anything who knows. Probably not.

Vegas knows as much as we do -- they throw together names that make sense and give them odds off of that and those odds fluctuate based on the bets people make and not insider knowledge. 

6 minutes ago, Green19 said:

This is narrow minded ... Sean McVay seems on track to take the Rams to the promise land in his second year.

Its not about experience vs not experience. Age vs youth. It’s about getting the best coach with the best plan and the best staff.

If that is some 30 something I’m cool with it. I just want the best.

Oh here we go another “Sean McVay arguement” just like 5-6 years ago when everyone was looking for the next Pete Carroll.

You and every other GM out there wants to find the next Sean McVay, good luck! if it was that easy you wouldn’t have so many coaches getting fired.

How many Sean McVays are hanging around just waiting to be picked up? If they existed they would have been picked up already.

Rams are a young team with a long term view. Packers are not.

You bring a McVay wannabe and he flounders (like many have) then you are going to waste the last years of Rodgers career.

If we had just drafted a young quarterback I would say go for it, but we don’t have the luxury of trying to find a needle in the haystack type coach.

25 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Iowa .. Iowa State ... what's the difference ;)

I don't follow college football and remembering Bulaga, Hyde and Johnson i assumed Matt Campbell was responsible for that program :$

47 minutes ago, PackGymRat said:

How is Jim Harbaugh not a major risk? He's the pure definition of a major risk hire.

3 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

How is Jim Harbaugh not a major risk? He's the pure definition of a major risk hire.

He has demonstrated major success at both professional and collegiate level.

He can both mentor young players and help Rodgers reach his full potential.

So in terms of experience and success he is not a “major” risk. I assume you are talking about his personality?

Archived