16th Coach of the GB Packers (let the search begin)

squire12

Regarding McDaniels - given that he's still under contract with the Patriots next year, it actually makes more sense that Belichick would be available and interested in moving to the Packers than McDaniels, unless Bill just flat out wants to retire.  But I could see him wanting to prove to the world that it's his master-mind that's the reason for all of his and the Patriots past success and not Brady - which he could prove by taking a declining Rodgers to the Super Bowl and winning.

10 hours ago, Gopher Trace said:

Question!!  Leave aside the job McDaniels did with personnel-management and maintaining players' respect, what did you think of the job he did w/r/t coaching duties (game-planning, play-calling, etc) -?  I am under the impression that he was okay in those respects, maybe even more than okay, and it was the other two things I mentioned that did them in... but I'd be interested to hear from someone who actually watched the games under him unlike me.

He was an unmitigated disaster. I don't know how the narrative got started that he was a good, or even passable coach, but a bad de facto GM. The truth is he was equally-disastrous in both roles. 

One of his biggest problems, and this will still be an issue for him in his next HC role, is that he has exposure to only one system under one head coach in one franchise that just happens to have one of the greatest QBs to ever play the game. He is not his own man in any way, everything he does or will do is a direct copy of what New England does. It's all he knows. He flat-out said when he came here that he was installing the Patriots offense and 3-4 defense, whether or not we had the personnel for it, because that's "what I know so it's what we're doing." This is not a problem unique to him (though he is more rigid and set in his ways than most) but one to any "hot coordinator" type HC candidate who gets their first HC job, they are going to do everything they can to replicate what made them successful in their prior job. 

He refused to make in-game adjustments no matter what the score was or what the opposing team was doing. He told the Denver Post he does not believe in making in-game adjustments because he puts in so much work in preparation and trusts his before-game game-plan and sees no reason to make changes in-game. He also refused (or was simply unable) to make any changes once the league caught up with him, see the 6-0 start followed by the 5-17 finish to his tenure here.

He is also an unrivaled control freak that has to have final say and get his way exactly on everything, no matter how minute. He surrounds himself with lackeys and yes-men, our QB coach was his younger brother and he told well-regarded DC Mike Nolan how to do his job, even though Nolan had over a decade's worth more experience in the league than he did, Nolan quit after one year. He does what a lot of New England assistants turned HCs do - fill as many roster spots with former New England players as possible so he has spies in the locker room whose loyalty is to him, not their teammates, the organization or the former regime. If you look at other teams that have or have had Patriot influence, you see it (look at Houston, Tennessee and Detroit today or Denver, Cleveland and New York in years past). 

He is also something of a despicable human being. Fans of all teams have had a coach here or there they don't like for one reason or another but its almost always job-related, i.e. ineptitude, poor play-callings, game-planning, bad clock management, lack of innovation, etc. We have that right now with Vance Joseph, who I don't believe is NFL HC material, despite our recent run of wins, but if I had a beer with him I would probably like him. McDaniels is a different story, he treats subordinates, the media, his players, support staff in the organization (from secretaries to equipment guys to IT people to marketing people, etc) with disdain and contempt. 

He is also so terribly insecure he disregards an organizations history and identity and does everything to make the team/franchise a clone of New England. In Denver, a franchise with a proud and storied history, he attempted to do just that, going so far as to attempt to take down pictures in team headquarters of former Broncos legends like John Elway, Terrell Davis, Karl Mecklenburg, etc., and replace them with players currently on the team, most of whom followed him over from New England, guys like Jabar Gaffney, LaMont Jordan and Jarvis Green. 

He is very much a my way or the highway type and I cannot envision any scenario where he and Aaron Rodgers (who is one of my all-time favorite NFL players) being able to co-exist. Rodgers has 3-4 years left as an elite player, do you want to waste two of them with someone like McDaniels who would totally poison the well of your proud franchise? I sure wouldn't. 

5 hours ago, Nick_gb said:

Urban Meyer suffers from an arachnoid cyst in his brain. It's incurable and is progressing to the point it's causing him some serious health issues and family problems. He literally collapsed on the field during a game this season. Honestly, he's in no position to be on the sidelines imho. He's got a lot to sort through both medically and family speaking.

Oh wow, really?  That is really sad to hear.  I can't imagine hearing that kind of news...   :(

3 hours ago, PackGymRat said:

John or Jim Harbaugh or Bruce Arian.

Anything else is a major risk. This isn’t a rebuilding team, this is a team that needs a experienced HC to take the team to the promise land.

Aaron cannot wait for a brand new HC to get his bearings straight.

No college football coach and no NFL assistants/coordinators please.

How do you know hiring a college or NFL assistant would be a major risk?  Just because a candidate never was an NFL HC shouldn't be a mark against him.  Heck, do we really want a retread?  McCarthy was never a HC before we hired him and he did okay.

2 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Regarding McDaniels - given that he's still under contract with the Patriots next year, it actually makes more sense that Belichick would be available and interested in moving to the Packers than McDaniels, unless Bill just flat out wants to retire.  But I could see him wanting to prove to the world that it's his master-mind that's the reason for all of his and the Patriots past success and not Brady - which he could prove by taking a declining Rodgers to the Super Bowl and winning.

McDainels isn’t locked because of the contract. As long as it’s a position above OC he can’t be blocked by New England to interview.

So it doesn’t make any more or less sense. He is able to find a HC job if McDaniels wants it.

With all this "we need someone who can set Aaron Rodgers right" talk, it's almost a damn shame that Aaron Hernandez was arrested and later committed suicide. His thug mentality would have been great for Aaron Rodgers. "Ball out or fall out boy, you aint dropping dimes I aint making dollars" it could be the Green Bays version of Beyond Scared Straight. 

1 minute ago, Nick_gb said:

With all this "we need someone who can set Aaron Rodgers right" talk, it's almost a damn shame that Aaron Hernandez was arrested and later committed suicide. His thug mentality would have been great for Aaron Rodgers. "Ball out or fall out boy, you aint dropping dimes I aint making dollars" it could be the Green Bays version of Scared Straight. #Logic

The bigger issue is Rodgers is too smart for the traditionalist football coaches good.

It was the same talk with Rosen this year and why Rodgers likes him. You want Rodgers on board? Get a guy smarter then him... not just having more experience. But legit smarter.

Rodgers is going to say “f u” to any guy he thinks he is smarter than. It’s why I think the QB coach they hired was bad... because he screams, just do your job type. Don’t ask questions, because honestly I don’t have answers... just that’s how they use to do it and they won championships that way... so it’s proven.

They need a guy that is going to challenge Rodgers in the classroom. Because Rodgers will feel like he has something to learn.

6 minutes ago, Green19 said:

The bigger issue is Rodgers is too smart for the traditionalist football coaches good.

It was the same talk with Rosen this year and why Rodgers likes him. You want Rodgers on board? Get a guy smarter then him... not just having more experience. But legit smarter.

Rodgers is going to say “f u” to any guy he thinks he is smarter than. It’s why I think the QB coach they hired was bad... because he screams, just do your job type. Don’t ask questions, because honestly I don’t have answers... just that’s how they use to do it and they won championships that way... so it’s proven.

They need a guy that is going to challenge Rodgers in the classroom. Because Rodgers will feel like he has something to learn.

Bet he doesn't mutter "Stupid fuc*ing play call" with Hernandez as the coach though. He may mutter the words stupid fuc*ing while furiously staring over at the sideline but when Aaron brandishes that gun he's got tucked in his waistline bet he quickly changes playcalling to arm talent and apologizes to the coach #BeyondScaredStraight

3 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

Bet he doesn't mutter "Stupid fuc*ing play call" with Hernandez as the coach though. He may mutter the words stupid fuc*ing while furiously standing over at the sideline but when Aaron brandishes that gun he's got tucked in his waistline bet he quickly changes playcalling to arm talent and apologizes to the coach #BeyondScaredStraight

And Rodgers would also withheld his services and demand a trade.... and you’re out a HoF QB that makes your job of coaching a winning team a million times easier.

2 minutes ago, Green19 said:

And Rodgers would also withheld his services and demand a trade.... and you’re out a HoF QB that makes your job of coaching a winning team a million times easier.

I bet you're the type of guy who hosts a party with chips soda and a little c-span. I'm going to need you to take that less seriously and live a little thanks.

Archived