16th Coach of the GB Packers (let the search begin)

squire12

Conspiracy theory:

McDaniels’ dream job is to work with Gutekunst. That’s why they were linked to San Fran together. He didn’t think that McCarthy was going anywhere though. When McDaniels accepted his position with the Colts, Murphy sent a message over to Kraft letting him know we were moving on from MM after this season and asking if he could talk to McD. He agreed knowing McD’s true desire. Kraft did and it led to McDaniels backing away from Indy.

Of course this is all nonsense. Just trying to figure out why McD would interview/accept a job somewhere else after everyone assumed he was the heir apparent in NE.

1 hour ago, deathstar said:

Conspiracy theory:

McDaniels’ dream job is to work with Gutekunst. That’s why they were linked to San Fran together. He didn’t think that McCarthy was going anywhere though. When McDaniels accepted his position with the Colts, Murphy sent a message over to Kraft letting him know we were moving on from MM after this season and asking if he could talk to McD. He agreed knowing McD’s true desire. Kraft did and it led to McDaniels backing away from Indy.

Of course this is all nonsense. Just trying to figure out why McD would interview/accept a job somewhere else after everyone assumed he was the heir apparent in NE.

I dont think everyone assumed he was the heir apparent in NE until NE make special effort to stop him from moving on  -  and that would appear to include McDaniels who sought the interview (or accepted its offer).

Now - could NE just be serving short term interests? Aging QB / HC in a somewhat set system not wanting to rock the boat until one or both recede from the scene and it doesnt jeopardize SB possibilities? Could be. Though they supposedly extended some "promises" or organizational enhancements alluding to a "next in line" status in his current contract - they'd have little trouble cutting him loose should they chose later. 

7 hours ago, cannondale said:

A leader of men. 

You can't point to McDaniels successes and disregard his failures. His failures scare the hell out me because they point to NOT being a leader of men. Just because you are a great coordinator does not mean you will be a great head coach. I keep hearing snippets about McDaniels 'greatness' with regard to x's and o's. The only snippets I've heard about McDaniels the man have been horrid. Don't you dare defend his being a bad human being because he was 'only' 30.. Are you serious ? He was also a bad human being last year. What have we heard time and time again about how stressful situations reveal character ? I think McDaniels character has been revealed enough for me. Why have we not heard anything good about McDaniels the man ? McDaniels the teacher ? McDaniels the leader ? Crickets. The problem with hiring McDaniels is that you are getting McDaniels, not Belicheck.

Ask yourself this. When we hear about great head coaches, what are some of their common traits ? How many of those things does McDaniels have ? I'm still at zero.

So much this.

1 hour ago, deathstar said:

Conspiracy theory:

The personalities of those two guys are in such opposition, I think it's far more likely that it's the opposite. 

That McDaniels is disgusted by Gutekunst's "Doing it the right way" mantra and similarly Gutekunst is grossed out by McDaniels "At any cost" philosophy. 

3 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

I have no idea how I would feel about a McDaniels hire, but I am buying the buzz. I think it's McDaniels and everyone else on our radar at this point. 

I can warm up to this hire ... the offense he runs year in and year out is excellent.  He's worked with a franchise Qb for years who I assume isn't the easiest guy in the world to get along with .. that should translate well to Rodgers.  You gotta love how they use the running backs to stress a defense, and also the fact that it isn't a start studded array of pass catchers.  Yet .. it's always an offense that produces results.  I just hope McDaniels has matured as a leader over the years.  He was a mess in Denver, and then last years fiasco with Indy raised more red flags.  

3 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I can warm up to this hire ... the offense he runs year in and year out is excellent.  He's worked with a franchise Qb for years who I assume isn't the easiest guy in the world to get along with .. that should translate well to Rodgers.  You gotta love how they use the running backs to stress a defense, and also the fact that it isn't a start studded array of pass catchers.  Yet .. it's always an offense that produces results.  I just hope McDaniels has matured as a leader over the years.  He was a mess in Denver, and then last years fiasco with Indy raised more red flags.  

You answered your concern.  The answer is obviously a big fat huge NO

5 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I mean, New England was a well tuned machine long before McDaniels arrived. Not that I think McDaniels is a bad OC, but I feel like this doesn't get mentioned when people talk about his work. 

Broncos and Browns reportedly requested to interview Brian Flores. Those guys are going to be in demand. McDaniels in Denver not so much.

Rapsheet said the Packers Mcdaniels interview is official and that McDaniels is going to be selective about where he interviews, so you would assume his interest in GB is real.

Just now, Arthur Penske said:

Adam Gase available as he was just fired.

Beat me to it.  (How the heck?  That was fast.)

Gase, McDaniels, Brian Flores, and Fitzpatrick seem to be the frontrunners at this point, No?

I'd be OK with any of those four options.

1 minute ago, Cheech said:

Beat me to it.  (How the heck?  That was fast.)

Gase, McDaniels, Brian Flores, and Fitzpatrick seem to be the frontrunners at this point, No?

I'd be OK with any of those four options.

I haven't seen anything linking Gase to GB and it would be hard since he was just canned, but I would think he'd get an interview if the search is as extensive as its rumored to be.

4 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I mean, New England was a well tuned machine long before McDaniels arrived. Not that I think McDaniels is a bad OC, but I feel like this doesn't get mentioned when people talk about his work. 

McDaniels was the OC in NE starting in 2006, prior to that from 2001 to 2005

2001 PPG 6th

2002 10th

2003 12th

2004 4th

2005 10th

I would say good offense, but far from the well tuned machine it has been with him as OC

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

McDaniels was the OC in NE starting in 2006, prior to that from 2001 to 2005

2001 PPG 6th

2002 10th

2003 12th

2004 4th

2005 10th

I would say good offense, but far from the well tuned machine it has been with him as OC

6th, 1st, and 3rd in 2009-2011 while McDaniels with the Broncos and Rams

Archived