Ohio State Buckeyes: The Urban Era is Over

OttoGrahamsGhost

36 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Day could easily be replaced in a year. Let’s not act like colleges have patience or loyalty. 

True but I see Day having a lot more success than Fickell. Im nervous about Day but I see him being successful. Gene Smith has nailed the aspect of hiring coaches for his programs. It’s the only thing he is good at 

5 minutes ago, buno67 said:

True but I see Day having a lot more success than Fickell. Im nervous about Day but I see him being successful. Gene Smith has nailed the aspect of hiring coaches for his programs. It’s the only thing he is good at 

Urban wanting to coach the team is how he because coach. Gene smith didn’t do anything but sign the contract. 

1 minute ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Urban wanting to coach the team is how he because coach. Gene smith didn’t do anything but sign the contract. 

He has nailed the coach for the wrestling program, he has nailed the coach for the basketball program. He has nailed the coaches for the other programs as well for the university. 

On 12/4/2018 at 12:11 PM, candyman93 said:

Gene Smith hit a home run hiring Holtmann for the men’s basketball team. However, other than him he hasn’t had to make any tough coaching decisions.

Big one when he hired Tom Ryan. He might of been one of the first couple of hires by Smith. Dude turned tOSU into one of the best wrestling programs in the nation, passing Iowa and Iowa st as #2 and  behind Penn St. heck Ryan might have developed the most decorated Ohio state Athlete ever or at least since Owens. He also nailed the hiring of the Women’s basketball coach. He has turned them into one of the better programs in the nation. 

18 hours ago, brooks1957 said:

Listening to Chris Carter talk about Urban, the man - not Urban the coach...............

Alright - who the hell is cutting onions in here again????????

I read that Carter spent a lot of time around the team during the week leading up to the Big10 title game. Watched a lot of practices, road with the team, and gave them the pregame speech 

1 minute ago, BleedTheClock said:

Ryan Day is a great coach, but I don't think he has the chops to recruit kids from all over the country like Urban did. OSU's recruiting is going to take a hit, but they'll still win a lot of football games next year and finish in the top 10 again.

If national recruiting takes a slight hit but they hit on the Ohio kids that Urban let leave the state, then it will be close to a wash IMO. Ohio is a top 4-5 state in the nation, so just don't let those kids leave.

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:
2 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Ryan Day is a great coach, but I don't think he has the chops to recruit kids from all over the country like Urban did. OSU's recruiting is going to take a hit, but they'll still win a lot of football games next year and finish in the top 10 again.

If national recruiting takes a slight hit but they hit on the Ohio kids that Urban let leave the state, then it will be close to a wash IMO. Ohio is a top 4-5 state in the nation, so just don't let those kids leave

Exactly, Day pretty much made it sound like he wanted to build a fence around the state of Ohio. Which is the smartest thing to do. You ignore Ohio kids, they go to Wisky, MSU, PSU, and scUM and hurt you. You miss on an Ohio kid, they go else where in the Big10 and kill you 2-4 years. You miss on a national kid, they might hurt you once. 

Not saying to ignore national kids but just don’t need to build your classes around them. Just recruiting the top Ohio kids and Landing them should give you a top tier class. If you want a top3 you will need to land a few national kids. 

16 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Exactly, Day pretty much made it sound like he wanted to build a fence around the state of Ohio. Which is the smartest thing to do. You ignore Ohio kids, they go to Wisky, MSU, PSU, and scUM and hurt you. You miss on an Ohio kid, they go else where in the Big10 and kill you 2-4 years. You miss on a national kid, they might hurt you once. 

Not saying to ignore national kids but just don’t need to build your classes around them. Just recruiting the top Ohio kids and Landing them should give you a top tier class. If you want a top3 you will need to land a few national kids. 

Also, those kids can help keep the fire, passion, and energy in the building that the last game in November is ALWAYS the most important game on the schedule and of the year. That is honestly one of the few things I am worried about with Day. He does not have a true emotional tie to Ohio that Woody Hayes, Urban, and Tressel had that allowed them to live and breathe the rivalry.

Archived