52 members have voted

1. 1. Best tight end?

• Travis Kelce
    • Zach Ertz
    • Rob Gronkowski
    • George Kittle
    • OJ Howard
    • Other

It appears, at least to me, Gronk has been dethroned due to a myriad of debilitating injuries. It wouldn't surprise me if he retired this off-season. Who has taken the crown?

Is Kelce the easy answer?

Are George Kittle, OJ Howard or Zach Ertz on that tier?

Who's in your top 5/10?

Is the NFL currently devoid of TE talent?

It’s true, Gronk isn’t himself this year. He lost a decent amount of weight this offseason and isn’t separating much right now. He’s got a bad back and a bum ankle at the moment, so it likely has a lot to do with that, but he’s not the usual Gronk. 

The follow up has to be Kelce. He’s not the blocker Gronkowski is nor is he as physical, but he’s much faster and has at worst comparable hands. His gamebreaking speed (for a tight end) is what separates him from Ertz IMO. 

Kittle is coming. OJ is coming. Engram could be too.

Kelce and Ertz are the two best receiving TEs right now, but that's only if you look at it from a fantasy football perspective. TEs need to be able to block. To me, that knocks ertz down a peg and hes not really a factor in that department. Kelce is a pretty serviceable run blocker, but I think George Kittle is a far superior run blocker compared to the group of guys in consideration in this thread. 

If you want to say he needs to do it another year or two, fine, but he is the second best TE right now behind Kelce, and its pretty close imo. 

I do really like Kelce as a player

On 12/6/2018 at 4:33 PM, N4L said:

Kelce and Ertz are the two best receiving TEs right now, but that's only if you look at it from a fantasy football perspective. 

They’re the best receiving tight ends from any perspective right now. Ertz’s receiving ability was on display in the most important moments of the super bowl. It doesn’t get less fantasy than that.

I do not think tight end blocking has that much of an effect in the run game, but it is certainly a bonus.  Eagles have generally had an effective run game during Zach’s tenure.

I think Kittle will eventually pass Ertz as a receiver too though. He is physically dominant. It took Ertz a while to put everything together, Kittle should be Kelce/Gronk-like in a couple years.

1 hour ago, KellChippy said:

They’re the best receiving tight ends from any perspective right now. Ertz’s receiving ability was on display in the most important moments of the super bowl. It doesn’t get less fantasy than that.

You missed my point. I am saying that there is more to football than what shows up on the stat sheet. 

2 hours ago, KellChippy said:

I do not think tight end blocking has that much of an effect in the run game, but it is certainly a bonus.  Eagles have generally had an effective run game during Zach’s tenure.

Absolutely it does. Its not 'a bonus' its 40-50% of their job. Certain schemes are more TE centric than others, but having a guy that does both is where you can create personnel mismatches because you aren't tipping your hand run v pass, and allow one dimensional defenders to line up over them. 

For example if you have a TE who rarely catches passes you can line up a run thumper over them, even on third down (third and short). If you have a guy who doesn't run block or who isn't great at it, you can line up a S over them and take a LB off the field. 

Being able to do both is what separates the good from the great TEs because it forces the defense to stay in more of a base set and still have access to the whole playbook. 

Saying the TE doesn't have much of an effect in the run game is almost like saying a FB doesn't have that much of an effect in the run game. or a T. I mean, they are lined up on the end and the good ones can block DEs to free up your T to go get LBs. 

2 hours ago, KellChippy said:

I think Kittle will eventually pass Ertz as a receiver too though. He is physically dominant. It took Ertz a while to put everything together, Kittle should be Kelce/Gronk-like in a couple years.

That would be awesome, Ertz is a fantastic receiving TE. Soft hands and knows how to get open against zone coverage. I think Kittle is more of a 'weapon' who has more of a home run ability, but if you need a 12 yard catch on third and 11, hard to find anyone better at it than ertz right now.

@N4L

You have to be an adequate blocker.  Even Ertz can block a safety in short yardage situations. Well, maybe not a good safety.

I don’t think the difference between having an average and great blocking tight end is a major factor in the outcome of many games, whereas a great receiving tight end can take over a game.  Not that you said otherwise, just elaborating on what I said.

It’s interesting that most of the top tight ends are the playmaker types: Howard, Kittle, Kelce, Gronk. Ertz does not fit the mold.

I think the only answer can only be the easy answer.

It's Travis Kelce for me. He's having his 3rd 1.000 yards seasons in a row and is currently on pace to play by far his best season. He might not be the absolute best blocker on the planet, but he's still a pretty good one. You could argue that since his 1st 1000 yards season he was one of the best, if not the best TE in the league, if you factor in the health issues of Gronkowski, which i think you should do. He was really great in those past 2 seasons, but definitely seperates himself from the other TEs in the current season.

14 hours ago, KellChippy said:

@N4L

You have to be an adequate blocker.  Even Ertz can block a safety in short yardage situations. Well, maybe not a good safety.

I don’t think the difference between having an average and great blocking tight end is a major factor in the outcome of many games, whereas a great receiving tight end can take over a game.  Not that you said otherwise, just elaborating on what I said.

It’s interesting that most of the top tight ends are the playmaker types: Howard, Kittle, Kelce, Gronk. Ertz does not fit the mold.

A part of what separated Gronk from the rest was his ability to block like a 6th linemen. It depends on your scheme, but having a tight end that is an elite pass catcher and an elite blocker (both running and passing) is incredibly valuable and certainly effects the run game.

Archived