1. 1. Best tight end?

• Travis Kelce
    • Zach Ertz
    • Rob Gronkowski
    • George Kittle
    • OJ Howard
    • Other

On 12/8/2018 at 12:33 PM, Yin-Yang said:

A part of what separated Gronk from the rest was his ability to block like a 6th linemen. It depends on your scheme, but having a tight end that is an elite pass catcher and an elite blocker (both running and passing) is incredibly valuable and certainly effects the run game.

That's why Gronk is the GOAT... but generally speaking, and look around the league at most TEs, as the above poster said you just need to be an adequate run blocker, and with the considerable size advantage they have over the men they are generally tasked with blocking (DBs, ocassionally LBs or double teaming) it really comes down to effort from what I've seen. Unless you are a real difference maker in the run game like Gronk, then it's pretty much a wash as far as I'm concerned, and I'm judging you primarily on your pass catching. 

8 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

That's why Gronk is the GOAT... but generally speaking, and look around the league at most TEs, as the above poster said you just need to be an adequate run blocker, and with the considerable size advantage they have over the men they are generally tasked with blocking (DBs, ocassionally LBs or double teaming) it really comes down to effort from what I've seen. Unless you are a real difference maker in the run game like Gronk, then it's pretty much a wash as far as I'm concerned, and I'm judging you primarily on your pass catching. 

This is why I never thought Jordan Reed should be that high on TE lists. He's basically a receiver. 

I just wanna say. That me and a few miner homer fans were on the Kittle wagon before any of y’all. 

Hes what a consistent Cooks looks like. When I see a dude like ertz put up fake numbers I just see a Edelman type player. Not the fastest, strongest but a smart dude. But easily replaceable IMO. Just isn’t special at all IMO.. 

On 12/10/2018 at 7:20 AM, C0LTSFAN4L1F3 said:

Just like Dallas Clark except with physicality and athletic ability. 

Kittle blows Dallas out the water. Dallas Clark was a watered down version of Jason Witten. Kittle has Prime Gates play making ability and explosiveness. 

1 hour ago, El ramster said:

Kittle blows Dallas out the water. Dallas Clark was a watered down version of Jason Witten. Kittle has Prime Gates play making ability and explosiveness. 

I know I was making a joke. Somebody said "like a young Dallas Clark" and then I said "yeah just like Dallas Clark except for *insert actual good qualities here*" 

Obviously Dallas Clark doesn't hold a candle. We wouldn't even know his name if not for Peyton. 

The true value of a TE in the NFL is that he's a double threat. Defenses know that a WR is there to catch passes and so you deploy your pass defense vs the WR

For a good TE, the defense doesn't know if he's going out or setting up in pass pro or run blocking. That hesitation and moment of confusion is what confers the advantage to the TE position and good coaches use it to maximum effect. A TE who can "control" a DE at the point of attack is worth his weight in gold.
A TE who just catches passes, is another WR on the field with some advantages in leverage and the ability to run over people.

Fans and fantasy players love the pass catchers, but coaches love the dual threat guys

2 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

The true value of a TE in the NFL is that he's a double threat. Defenses know that a WR is there to catch passes and so you deploy your pass defense vs the WR

For a good TE, the defense doesn't know if he's going out or setting up in pass pro or run blocking. That hesitation and moment of confusion is what confers the advantage to the TE position and good coaches use it to maximum effect. A TE who can "control" a DE at the point of attack is worth his weight in gold.
A TE who just catches passes, is another WR on the field with some advantages in leverage and the ability to run over people.

Fans and fantasy players love the pass catchers, but coaches love the dual threat guys

This is all fine for the 90s. Today’s game is much more diff. and it’s the QBs who has to sell the play not the TE. 

Archived