Trubisky and the end of the season

WindyCity

I want what I am about to say to be preface by the fact that I am a Trubisky supporter and someone who has been pleasantly surprised with his development and where he is this season. 

But it seems like there is a strong contingent of people who seem to think that this season is not going to end in a Super Bowl because our QB is not good enough.

I wanted to say, you are 100% correct.

If this season is going to end before we want it to, it will be because of Mitch Trubisky. He will either not play well, like he did against the Rams, or he will not be able to save the defense from a bad performance by out scoring a top team. This is all true if the Bears do not win the Super Bowl. Someone today wrote that his numbers are not good enough to win the Super Bowl and they more than likely are not.

I just do not feel the angst or anger that some people seem to be, more so on Twitter than on here. This was always going to be a learning year for Trubisky. The offense was never going to be a well oiled machine, and the Bears were not suppose to be this good. It is awesome that they have a chance. Being a year ahead of schedule is awesome experience for the team and it is fun for the fans. But it is unrealistic because the team is better to expect Trubisky to morph into a more experienced and polished QB over night and win us the Super Bowl.

I hope that Trubisky goes on a Flacco like playoff run, but I am not expecting, nor will I be disappointed if he does not play like Brees or Russell.

Long story short.

The end of the season is going to fall on Trubisky and it is okay that he is not ready for the big time right now. This experience will be super valuable and my guess is he will attack the offseason when he realizes what is possible if he takes a big step.

Part of the process.

I equate this season of Mitch's to Goff's last year in that it's his first year in a new system putting up good numbers and getting valuable game reps.  He has already exceeded my expectations.  The playoffs are a bonus and will be invaluable experience that goes a long way, win or lose.

Only way I can see Bears winning SB this year is if they have homefield.  That looks like a stretch because I expect Rams to win their remaining 3 and I reckon playing them in LA will be a different story.

I agree with what you’re saying. Mitch is only in his second year and is learning on the job. He will not be Russell Wilson leading us to the SB.

He needs reps and experience. The media will blame him when we eventually lose in the playoffs, but we weren’t suppose to be ready.

i expect us to be competing for HFA next year and Mitch leading the way.

Yeah but it's correct... the Bears look like a playoff team for the next couple years, but unless Trubisky gets at least average they're likely not going to string together games like last nights game to make it all the way.

I feel for the guy, I don't think there has been a QB under more pressure than him, and now he's on an overperforming team that has everyone's expectations sky high.  It's not helping him.

I think he's going to play better next week, and calm us obsessives down a bit. 

39 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

Yeah but it's correct... the Bears look like a playoff team for the next couple years, but unless Trubisky gets at least average they're likely not going to string together games like last nights game to make it all the way.

I feel for the guy, I don't think there has been a QB under more pressure than him, and now he's on an overperforming team that has everyone's expectations sky high.  It's not helping him.

I think he's going to play better next week, and calm us obsessives down a bit. 

He’s been better than “at least average” all season. He had a bad game coming off of 21 days rest. It’ll be fine.

The analogy I've been using is that this feels like the 2015 Cubs. Nobody expected them to be as good as they were and the whole season felt like we were playing with house money. The icing on the cake for me that year was beating the ******* Cardinals in the NLDS -- it felt like we had exorcised a demon.

To me, this Sunday's game is a demon for us to exorcise: beat the ******* Green Bay Packers on our home turf to LOCK DOWN the NFC North as Champions and punch our ticket to the playoffs. I want this win, BAD.

10 has been better than average, but he has lacked consistency, that's fair criticism.  He played the worst game of his career, and still got the W. Yes the Bears will win/lose the SuperBowl bc of Trubisky, that's also true for every other QB in the playoffs, save Mahomes who will lose bc of his defense.

13 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I want what I am about to say to be preface by the fact that I am a Trubisky supporter and someone who has been pleasantly surprised with his development and where he is this season. 

But it seems like there is a strong contingent of people who seem to think that this season is not going to end in a Super Bowl because our QB is not good enough.

I wanted to say, you are 100% correct.

If this season is going to end before we want it to, it will be because of Mitch Trubisky. He will either not play well, like he did against the Rams, or he will not be able to save the defense from a bad performance by out scoring a top team. This is all true if the Bears do not win the Super Bowl. Someone today wrote that his numbers are not good enough to win the Super Bowl and they more than likely are not.

I just do not feel the angst or anger that some people seem to be, more so on Twitter than on here. This was always going to be a learning year for Trubisky. The offense was never going to be a well oiled machine, and the Bears were not suppose to be this good. It is awesome that they have a chance. Being a year ahead of schedule is awesome experience for the team and it is fun for the fans. But it is unrealistic because the team is better to expect Trubisky to morph into a more experienced and polished QB over night and win us the Super Bowl.

I hope that Trubisky goes on a Flacco like playoff run, but I am not expecting, nor will I be disappointed if he does not play like Brees or Russell.

Russell may be most overrated QB ever. 

What would you expect if someone told you a team was going to use their first rounder to draft a one year college starter onto a terrible team with a lame duck coach?

Most rational people would say at best they are going to suck for awhile and its going to take QB 3-4 years to develop into anything good. 

What if we surround him with an influx of talent?

The rational folks would say that will help win/loss for sure. NFL history shows teams can be good without good QBs if rest of team is very good.  The actual QB will still need to develop.  Being a good QB in NFL is about talent of course, but for those with talent it is about calmly, but very quicky, processing information. If you are nervous or rushed or overly excited you can't deliver accurately and/or to the right place.

How do you get better at processing information quickly? Only way is study, reps, coaching and experience. 

What if you had a tremoundous running game? That would make a huge difference for any QB. 

Okay what do irrational people say? He is a bum because he isn't good right now all the time.  

Could they be right? Yes. Maybe. But they are just guessing or making an emotional or perhaps snarky judgment. He has had very bad games. He has also had games where he is very good.  At this point in time it is unfair to say he is a bad player because he hasn't had sufficient time and reps to develop. 

Archived