Oakland sues Raiders, Raiders rescind offer to rent Oakland Coliseum for 2019 season

DigInBoys

33 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

Counter-sued for what?

"Damage to the NFL Brand" or something along those lines

I mean honestly it wouldn't matter the NFL would just throw whatever back and Oakland isn't going to win jack here.

The NFL will pay oakland back in some way or "PERSUADE" them to drop the lawsuit. 

55 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

San Diego, St Louis, and San Antonio make the most sense, as they all have NFL-quality stadiums.

I'm not sure the 49ers would allow the Raiders to use Levi's Stadium, but due to being the closest NFL stadium to Oakland it's possible they try to share for a year.

Unfortunately for the Raiders, Sam Boyd Stadium is not up to NFL standards, reportedly, so there's little probability of moving to Vegas before 2020.

If the Raiders play at Levi’s, I WILL SUE

2 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Unfortunately for the Raiders, Sam Boyd Stadium is not up to NFL standards, reportedly, so there's little probability of moving to Vegas before 2020.

How is Sam Boyd any worse than the soccer field the Chargers are playing on?

5 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

San Diego, St Louis, and San Antonio make the most sense, as they all have NFL-quality stadiums.

I'm not sure the 49ers would allow the Raiders to use Levi's Stadium, but due to being the closest NFL stadium to Oakland it's possible they try to share for a year.

*Insert the Michael Scott please God no gif*

This would be the worst thing to happen since... Since the niners built that fcuking stadium 

(Disgruntled season ticket holder who hates everything about the stadium other than the fact it's where my favorite team plays) 

On second thought, they can have Levi's stadium permanently, as long as the niners build another stadium somewhere in San Francisco lol 

Seriously though, I would be livid if we do this. Even if it's just for a season. 

Jed York was adamant that the raiders would not move into Levi's permanently when the raiders were looking for a long term solution to their stadium issues, but I don't think he has the balls to fend off the NFL on a temporary status. I know that it would greatly anger his fanbase, and he does not have enough capital built up to be able to make an unpopular move like this without repercussions 

Kudos to the city of Oakland for standing their ground. They have serious monetary issues and cannot afford to cut basic services like education spending so that a stadium can be used 10 days out of the year. The Oakland As are going to get public funding for a stadium because they are actually going to provide services to the community and build a smaller stadium that will get used 81 times a year.

Why should billionaires have stadiums subsidized by poor cities where a large portion of the population is uneducated and below the poverty line? (That is, if you want to count mark davis as a billionaire lol) 

5 hours ago, N4L said:

*Insert the Michael Scott please God no gif*

This would be the worst thing to happen since... Since the niners built that fcuking stadium 

(Disgruntled season ticket holder who hates everything about the stadium other than the fact it's where my favorite team plays) 

On second thought, they can have Levi's stadium permanently, as long as the niners build another stadium somewhere in San Francisco lol 

Seriously though, I would be livid if we do this. Even if it's just for a season. 

Jed York was adamant that the raiders would not move into Levi's permanently when the raiders were looking for a long term solution to their stadium issues, but I don't think he has the balls to fend off the NFL on a temporary status. I know that it would greatly anger his fanbase, and he does not have enough capital built up to be able to make an unpopular move like this without repercussions 

Kudos to the city of Oakland for standing their ground. They have serious monetary issues and cannot afford to cut basic services like education spending so that a stadium can be used 10 days out of the year. The Oakland As are going to get public funding for a stadium because they are actually going to provide services to the community and build a smaller stadium that will get used 81 times a year.

Why should billionaires have stadiums subsidized by poor cities where a large portion of the population is uneducated and below the poverty line? (That is, if you want to count mark davis as a billionaire lol) 

I agree with most of what you said but it's important to note that Mark Davis isn't a billionare. He's the only non-billionare NFL owner. He literally can't afford to make a stadium himself. Sucks for Oakland but there's nothing Davis can do about it. As far as the recent NFL franchise moves, it's hard to blame this one on the owner... the Coliseum is a dump and he doesn't have the money to replace it, and Oakland doesn't want to spend money on replacing it. His only option was to move the team to someplace where the city or investors could build him a stadium.

I agree with this, to a degree. It does have to be noted that sports teams, specifically football teams, bring a good deal of social cohesion to many cities. Lots of people from otherwise non-interacting walks of life find common discussion over sports. Its a social good that cant really be quantified in monetary terms.

Should billionaires get public funding for stadiums? No, at least not unless that public funding came with some sort of stipulations that positively affected the fan base (Price fixes on food for X number of years, ticket subsidy, sections for underserved kids, etc). There can be a sort of middle ground where public funding can be used, not as the majority of funding ideally, and the fans get something out of it. That's at least my take. You want public funding? Then the owner has to make concessions on services that help affordability, community, etc.

There should be no free lunch. Public funding should be an option but the owners need to shake some booty back in reciprocation.

14 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I'd be willing to bet that no matter where they play they keep the name "Oakland Raiders" for 2019. But who knows.

Or they just go by "Raiders" without a city affiliated to them. It'd be strange, but it's the most sensible thing IMO.

1 minute ago, Danger said:

Or they just go by "Raiders" without a city affiliated to them. It'd be strange, but it's the most sensible thing IMO.

That would be the worst thing they could possibly do.

I'd be willing to wager the Raiders will be known as the Oakland Raiders or Las Vegas Raiders next season, despite not playing in either city.

Just now, TheKillerNacho said:

That would be the worst thing they could possibly do.

I'd be willing to wager the Raiders will be known as the Oakland Raiders or Las Vegas Raiders next season, despite not playing in either city.

I don't know about that. I can't imagine given the circumstances that they'd be permitted/willing/on terms to keep Oakland in their name given current circumstances. I can not in any way see them going with that next season. And do they really want to do a premature rebranding before they're actually able to debut in Las Vegas? It'd kill the hype a bit.

Either they go with a 1 season placeholder name, or they change the name to Las Vegas early, and save all the uniform tweaks until they move to Vegas for real. 

Archived