17-year-old Walmart employee quits over store intercom: 'Nobody should work here, ever'

TecmoSuperJoe

On 12/17/2018 at 1:18 AM, seminoles1 said:

I was with you until this right here.  I've worked my *** off over the last 7 years to make management at Academy Sports + Outdoors and Old Navy to earn a decent living.  Generalizing everyone who works retail as lazy and unmotivated is unbelievably incorrect.

I think he’s speaking more specifically to this individual and his actions, not people who work retail in general. 

Retail is a very polarizing job in that you can have an individual show you the utmost respect and gratification for the smallest gesture while another individual chews your head off for the smallest dumbest thing. 

The other aspect of it is that you really get to see who all are the dumbest individuals throughout that community. They stick out like a sore thumb. 

1 hour ago, theuntouchable said:

Retail is a very polarizing job in that you can have an individual show you the utmost respect and gratification for the smallest gesture while another individual chews your head off for the smallest dumbest thing. 

This week I’ve had a man give me a $20 tip for cutting the bones off his rib and tying them back on. Our sign right by the ribs says cut and tied free by request.

Another woman brought a rib she had purchased at a different store (she didn’t even take it out of their packaging) and then bitched at me when I wouldn’t cut it and tie it because our sign says “cut and tied free by request” and I told her that’s only for our customers and she said “well they won’t do it at, even if you pay”[Big Local Wholesaler]

”Well do they take returns?” Is not the answer she was looking for 

2 minutes ago, Dome said:

This week I’ve had a man give me a $20 tip for cutting the bones off his rib and tying them back on. Our sign right by the ribs says cut and tied free by request.

Another woman brought a rib she had purchased at a different store (she didn’t even take it out of their packaging) and then bitched at me when I wouldn’t cut it and tie it because our sign says “cut and tied free by request” and I told her that’s only for our customers and she said “well they won’t do it at, even if you pay”[Big Local Wholesaler]

”Well do they take returns?” Is not the answer she was looking for 

I really don’t understand how they can’t see the liability issues behind something like that. It’s pretty simple logic. 

The absolute thorn in my side is the bottle room. We’re given about 37 hours a week to maintain the bottle room. We go through about 44 full bins of bottles/cans a week and our machines are over 5 years old. We had a regular come in one day and there was a machine down and the others were being used. We are literally not allowed to actually work on the machines. We can only clean them and deal with the bins. 

The first time he called, I can understand if you wanted to ask someone for help. I can’t understand why a grown *** man (mid 50s) would throw a fit because he was told that there was nothing my bottle person could do except keep up with the other machines and make sure they can get out quicker. It was called in but we can’t do anything else about it. This guy was yelling at my bottle guy once he was told we couldn’t. He then demanded to see a manager and spoke with my grocery team leader. He was then given the same answer, of course, and he flipped out again and demanded to speak with someone else. 

I repeatedly apologized, I even looked at the machine and everything I can do to see if there was anything missed, even after all of that he was still complaining and yelling. He would hardly even let me get a word in before cutting me off and yelling. I was trying to get him towards the service desk to just do a quick manual count and send him away with a gift card but he literally would not let me say much at all. 

One of the other guys that was returning bottles offered to stop and wait so this guy could return his bottles. I brought that guy to the service desk and gave it to him instead. 

18 minutes ago, theuntouchable said:

One of the other guys that was returning bottles offered to stop and wait so this guy could return his bottles. I brought that guy to the service desk and gave it to him instead. 

Good call. 

We had a shipment of live lobsters get sent to Dallas instead of Portland. I was stuck calling 45 customers to tell them their lobster would be a day late, 44 of them said “Thanks for the heads up” and came and got it the next day. 

One lady said “No. You need to make this right.” I told her I could cancel her order (she hadn’t paid yet anyways) and we’d give her 20% off her next meat purchase. She said “No. I need a manager” I told her I am a lot easier to work with, she wouldn’t get anywhere that route, but she demanded a transfer anyways

2 minutes later she’s back on the phone with me, my manager told her “well you didn’t pay yet, sooooooooo?” She demands I find local lobsters from another store and go get them. Her and her husband planned a lobster dinner and she “was not going to settle for anything else.”

I told her “we have crab legs, or rib steak. That’s what I can offer unfortunately. I’d have to OK the 20% discount with my manager you just spoke with, but he might go for it.”

*click*

Havent had to deal with her ever since lol. 

We made a killing on that lobster sale lol 

@theuntouchable

dealing with vendors is great, because technically you’re the customer who’s always right.

getting snarky with them is fun cause they’ll do it back. Find a fun vendor to hate, it adds some spice to the workplace.

i saw the coke vendor packing up to leave with a pallet half unloaded pushed in the corner. I asked “is this one magic?”

”huh?”

”when you leave, does it put itself on the shelf?”

”yeah man. It’s ******* magic. C’mon dude”

”Can I watch?”

”yeah man. Go for it.”

”cool. Cause if it doesn’t work I’m telling my boss you lied to me”

i don’t know what happened after I left cause it’s not my department, but I’m pretty sure he unloaded it the way he was supposed to cause I never heard otherwise 

10 hours ago, Dome said:

@theuntouchable

dealing with vendors is great, because technically you’re the customer who’s always right.

getting snarky with them is fun cause they’ll do it back. Find a fun vendor to hate, it adds some spice to the workplace.

i saw the coke vendor packing up to leave with a pallet half unloaded pushed in the corner. I asked “is this one magic?”

”huh?”

”Can I watch?”

”yeah man. Go for it.”

i don’t know what happened after I left cause it’s not my department, but I’m pretty sure he unloaded it the way he was supposed to cause I never heard otherwise 

That’s pretty funny! I’m gonna have to use that

On 12/16/2018 at 9:39 AM, Outpost31 said:

That kid is a moron.  Great way to set yourself up for future jobs and careers by blaming everybody for your own shortcomings.  I worked in retail for a few years.  Yeah, it sucked, but I worked hard and left on good standing from every job I've ever had and it led to me getting jobs I was not qualified to get based on my references and my work history, etc. 

It's pretty clear the kid wasn't a good worker.  You don't call someone a waste of time if they're not a waste of time, you don't get written up for nothing, and you're not loyal if you leave by telling your company to eff itself.  Loyal.  Lol.  He was loyal in so much as he needed the money and kept going back for that paycheck. 

I can't stand that type of employee.  Blames everyone else for their own eff ups and never takes accountability.  I could rant about that type of employee forever, but bottom line is that anybody who gets on a Walmart intercom and quits like that isn't the type of person anybody is sad to lose, and they probably wanted him to quit to avoid firing him with all that comes from firing someone. 

I hope his next job is at McDonald's. 

I agree with everything here. If you don't like the job and feel like you're being treated unfairly, put in your two weeks and gtfo. No need acting like a child and trying to go viral for attention. If this kid is waiting for a job where everything is perfect, he's in for a rude awakening.

Don't agree with ho the kid handled his exit. I spent 6 months pushing carts for Walmart. You want to talk about a thankless job.100 degree heat to 32 below. Both cart machines were down, and they refused to fix them. So my buddy made a game out of it. We would alternate pushing and steering stacks up to the building. I think my record was 42. Anyway, one of the managers comes out. Word got around what we were doing. They told us to stop because we were going to hurt ourselves. Its a busy Saturday afternoon in the summer mind you. We were also short a guy. I told her there was no way we were going to keep up if we cut it down. That debate ended shortly, and we did it her way. Sure enough, 2 hours later, she comes back out and asks if we can pick up the pace because we were busy. I just laughed. So many similar conversations over my tenure there. Not a thank you or good job that entire time I was there.

The most vial work experience I ever had. I hit my breaking point, and put my 2 weeks in. I'm sure some have had solid experiences. For the most part it's mindless work with dbag managment

On 12/21/2018 at 11:43 AM, cddolphin said:
On 12/21/2018 at 6:59 AM, twslhs20 said:

Don't agree with ho the kid handled his exit. I spent 6 months pushing carts for Walmart. You want to talk about a thankless job.100 degree heat to 32 below.

you liar

Uphill both ways too!

On 12/16/2018 at 12:17 PM, Outpost31 said:

I'm not taking management's side.  I was in retail working at 4 o'clock in the morning Mondays-Fridays at Home Depot and I got written up for not attending a store meeting scheduled at 10 PM on Sunday night (after the store closed).  I told them beforehand, they accepted it, told me okay and wrote me up for it because it was store policy that anyone who wouldn't come in for the store meeting would get written up for it.  I told them it was BS, they agreed, but I still got written up for a reason.  Did I get on the intercom and quit?  Nope. 

I got scheduled for mornings, nights, mornings, nights at Home Depot because they kept having their freight team members quit and couldn't get anybody.  I was treated like **** due to their inability to hire people and get their own **** sorted. 

I was the best operations worker at two different Home Depots.  Never had a single random call out the day of, wasn't late once over 4 years, switched schedules between three different departments, had to work 16 hour shifts, all of it.  Didn't get nearly the credit I deserved, got written up for not showing up when I said I wouldn't show up, I could go on and on.

The bottom line was that it was incumbent upon ME to either find something somewhere that treated me better or get out.  Once I'd had enough, once they'd finally broken my spirit, I put in my two weeks notice, thanked them for the opportunity and went on to different and better things and got a job I was wildly unqualified for and was told in the interview process that my former bosses had spoken glowingly of me.  You think I get that recommendation if I stormed out and blamed them and called them a whole host of bad names?  Nope. 

There are two sides to every story, yes.  True.  You think management is going to call someone a waste of time if they don't have a valid reason for it?  You think they're going to call a hard-working kid who is eager to learn and who comes in with a positive attitude each day, shows up on time, doesn't call out... You think that kid gets called a waste of time by anybody?  Even an especially ****y boss?  Sorry, but it doesn't happen.  If all of management seemed to be against the kid...

It's like these people my sister gets involved with.  She got involved with this guy who has three brothers, two sisters... Not a single one of his brothers will speak to him.  Not a single one of his sisters will speak to him.  His 18-year-old son has stopped speaking to him.  The man's own mother stops speaking to him.  I bring this up and my sister assures me it's because they're all ***holes.  I'm like... What's more likely?  If 6 people are pointing their finger at one person and one person is pointing their finger at 6 people, which side is the most likely to be right? 

I'm not defending retail here, I hate retail.  Retail sucks, it is a soulless, heartless, joyless place that kills spirits and cripples souls and I wouldn't wish a life in retail on anyone.  Fact remains... If you're  working there, it's because you're not doing what it takes to get out of it because you are lazy and unmotivated. 

To quit like that shows a lack of accountability.  If (GIGANTIC IF CONSIDERING WHAT HE DID) the kid really was written up for no reason, if he was actually not a waste of time, if he was actually a good employee, he could just as easily have put in his two weeks notice, left on good terms and set himself up for some solid references from people he worked with. 

Now?  How do you think management at Walmart is going to respond if potential employers call them to ask about the kid? 

I'd like to see the paperwork involved in that not working off the clock write up.  If that happened just like that, I'd like to know which employee didn't take that to some kind of somebody.  A hotel I worked at in North Carolina tried automatically taking half an hour out of employee checks regardless of whether or not they took a lunch.  All it took was one person to bring it to the attention of the appropriate parties and the hotel had to back pay every single worker who worked there that 30 minutes back regardless of whether or not they actually took the lunch break. 

There are appropriate actions for every situation.  If you're being unfairly treated, you can definitely leave and look for something else.  What if I told you you could do that without burning bridges in life and being immature enough to get on an intercom and swear like a petulant little child and quit? 

Life isn't fair and you can either respond in mature, appropriate ways or you can place all the blame on external factors and act like things will be given to you without working for them. 

Maybe it’s just me, but I’ve been told HR doesn’t check your references unless something looks fishy on your resume.

2 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Maybe it’s just me, but I’ve been told HR doesn’t check your references unless something looks fishy on your resume.

I’d imagine this is true for 99% of jobs ol’ Joe Schmoe is walking in from off the street to apply for. We don’t check them where I work unless like you said, the resume is funky. 

I‘n sure jobs that have more at stake will check you out more in depth.

On 12/20/2018 at 8:58 PM, Dome said:

@theuntouchable

”huh?”

”Can I watch?”

”yeah man. Go for it.”

/r/thathappened

Archived