17-year-old Walmart employee quits over store intercom: 'Nobody should work here, ever'

TecmoSuperJoe

12 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I'm not defending retail here, I hate retail.  Retail sucks, it is a soulless, heartless, joyless place that kills spirits and cripples souls and I wouldn't wish a life in retail on anyone.  Fact remains... If you're  working there, it's because you're not doing what it takes to get out of it because you are lazy and unmotivated. 

I was with you until this right here.  I've worked my *** off over the last 7 years to make management at Academy Sports + Outdoors and Old Navy to earn a decent living.  Generalizing everyone who works retail as lazy and unmotivated is unbelievably incorrect.

8 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

I was with you until this right here.  I've worked my *** off over the last 7 years to make management at Academy Sports + Outdoors and Old Navy to earn a decent living.  Generalizing everyone who works retail as lazy and unmotivated is unbelievably incorrect.

Yeah, but you made manager through hard work and dedication, not getting on the intercom and quitting.  

8 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Wife worked in the Health and Beauty section and loved working there, then got promoted up into the Pharmacy and despised it due to the garbage pharmacists and how they allowed constant verbal abuse from customers.  Each place is different, especially the people you work for and with, but while I laughed the kid definitely didn't handle this well.

Exactly. He didn’t handle it well but gor all we know they might have been horrible mangers. Worked at McDonald’s and they called me dumb and useless all the time. Then went to pizza hut and got offered the assistant general manager position in 3 months. Work environments are different. Especially chain restaurants. Anytime someone says working at inssrt chain businesses is like this, there wrong. Working at one wal mart could be 1000% different then the next. Managers can turn a place toxic in a matter of weeks. Then crap managers hire crap managers who hire crap workers. 

Dont know the kid at all but i can feel for the kid if he truly was in a place with crap managers and got the crap advice of “just work hard and good things happen.” To many people are overly loyal to overly unloyal places. I had a talk with an excoworker who, by no exaggeration, was the only cook worth anything. He said “ya they said they couldnt give me a raise because of corporate so i guess i dont get one” to which i replied “then leave, the restaurant down the street hires in at more and you have enouh experience to go there” and he was concerned about leaving them with no cooks. He was loyal to a fault. No reason to be loyal to a place that treats you like crap because the managers fake being your friends. Young people are pretty easily manipulated and taken advantage of. They do things out of kindness and false friendships before realizing people are just taking advantage of them. Kid could be a turd and lazy or he could have had the world hit him in the arse and he handled it poorly. 

4 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Three months from now... he's gonna get REALLY upset when he doesn't get a favorable response from old managers at that Walmart when he applies elsewhere and they call on any old employers. 

Eh WalMart is a massive company. The new employer will call, get re-directed to HR, and all WalMart will do is confirm that he worked there from X to Y dates.

2 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Eh WalMart is a massive company. The new employer will call, get re-directed to HR, and all WalMart will do is confirm that he worked there from X to Y dates.

He's gone viral.  You can find out what the kid's name is.  All it will take is a Google search on the kid's name. 

14 hours ago, ET80 said:

Three months from now... he's gonna get REALLY upset when he doesn't get a favorable response from old managers at that Walmart when he applies elsewhere and they call on any old employers. 

But how many instagram likes did his video get?

On 12/16/2018 at 11:39 AM, Outpost31 said:

That kid is a moron.  Great way to set yourself up for future jobs and careers by blaming everybody for your own shortcomings.  I worked in retail for a few years.  Yeah, it sucked, but I worked hard and left on good standing from every job I've ever had and it led to me getting jobs I was not qualified to get based on my references and my work history, etc. 

It's pretty clear the kid wasn't a good worker.  You don't call someone a waste of time if they're not a waste of time, you don't get written up for nothing, and you're not loyal if you leave by telling your company to eff itself.  Loyal.  Lol.  He was loyal in so much as he needed the money and kept going back for that paycheck. 

I can't stand that type of employee.  Blames everyone else for their own eff ups and never takes accountability.  I could rant about that type of employee forever, but bottom line is that anybody who gets on a Walmart intercom and quits like that isn't the type of person anybody is sad to lose, and they probably wanted him to quit to avoid firing him with all that comes from firing someone. 

I hope his next job is at McDonald's. 

Former place of work: Walmart

May we contact your former employer: yes ☐ no ☒

On 12/16/2018 at 11:09 PM, Sugashane said:

Wife worked in the Health and Beauty section and loved working there, then got promoted up into the Pharmacy and despised it due to the garbage pharmacists and how they allowed constant verbal abuse from customers.  Each place is different, especially the people you work for and with, but while I laughed the kid definitely didn't handle this well.

Nothing belongs in a sentence more than “Walmart pharmacists” and “garbage”. They are probably responsible for my hair receding 

19 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:
19 hours ago, ET80 said:

He’s also 17. He can leave it off his resume and no one will care that he has a “gap” in his work history.

On 12/18/2018 at 12:51 AM, pwny said:

He’s also 17. He can leave it off his resume and no one will care that he has a “gap” in his work history.

Exactly, he can leave this job off his resune permanently and start work experience fresh, which is what you expect from a 17-18 year old anyways. 

Archived