2018 NFC North Champions---Daaaa Bears!

JAF-N72EX

Just now, Uncle Buck said:

The offense was fun to watch at times too though.  Sweetness was great of course, and Jim McMahon was a wildman too.  I heard somewhere that someone was spying on the Bears practice one time (I think it was in a helicopter), and McMahon got fed up with them and mooned them!   Then you had the Fridge running the ball in on goal line situations.  

I wrote a long post on that season with links one time.  

Ill go back and find it later.  

You had Ditka and Ryan, two ego maniac bigger than life personalities. Fridge storyline. Payton story line. McMahon story line.  Willie Gualt story line.

Star of show was the defense though and managed to make all those front page stories a back drop.  

You cant express how people woke up and went to bed talking about the Bears. How it dominated the landscape.  How city was decorated.  

So much was happening all at once.  Its no wonder it was such a flash in pan. It was gasoline on a fire. 

2 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

You had Ditka and Ryan, two ego maniac bigger than life personalities. Fridge storyline. Payton story line. McMahon story line.  Willie Gualt story line.

Star of show was the defense though and managed to make all those front page stories a back drop.  

You cant express how people woke up and went to bed talking about the Bears. How it dominated the landscape.  How city was decorated.  

So much was happening all at once.  Its no wonder it was such a flash in pan. It was gasoline on a fire. 

What's amazing too is that Mike Ditka took over as head coach just three years earlier and the team was a shambles.  He said "give me three years" and he backed it up too.

4 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Imagine you lived in NY when baseball was king and you are a boy during 1927 season of Ruth and Gerhig. 

That was what it was like in '85 in Chicago.  

5 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

What's amazing too is that Mike Ditka took over as head coach just three years earlier and the team was a shambles.  He said "give me three years" and he backed it up too.

Ditka was never a great coach.  He was a great and charismatic personality.  That only takes you so far though.  

5 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

Honestly just about every loss is really stinging.  All but maybe the pats game had one play if you changed the outcome the bears would have won.  But, this is where we are.

Agree, while there have been some losses that have really hurt, this team has outperformed way beyond anyone expected. Remember, this is year one of a new offense and new team, you aint seen nothing yet.

3 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

Honestly just about every loss is really stinging.  All but maybe the pats game had one play if you changed the outcome the bears would have won.  But, this is where we are.

Losses have been so close.  Some wins too.  

4 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

I would have to look, but off top of my head, I think every team has had a game this season where they were beat bad except Bears and Kansas City.  

1 hour ago, dafreak said:

Agree, while there have been some losses that have really hurt, this team has outperformed way beyond anyone expected. Remember, this is year one of a new offense and new team, you aint seen nothing yet.

I agree, and if all goes to plan, then next year the team is going to be a tremendous force. But, OTOH there are no guarantees. Perhaps next training camp, Mitch or Hicks is injured. Or, maybe the D can't generate the turnovers at such a rapid rate next season. The NFL rarely goes to plan (ex: MIN and PHI, both of whom were supposed to be unstoppable this season). Right now, the Bears have fortuitous health, cohesion, and a burgeoning self-confidence and they need to ride it as far as they can.  

7 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

I'm 54 and have been watching football since the early 70's.  I actually think I can barely remember watching the Vikings/Chiefs in 1969.  It's hard to believe, but there are probably a lot of people on these boards who weren't around to see the '85 Bears shuffle their way to immortality.   

I was 5, I remember it, but just barely.  Honestly at this point I feel like I'm a Bears Superbowl away from having seen all my teams win it all, even tho I was around for 85.

7 hours ago, yomyyo said:

I agree, and if all goes to plan, then next year the team is going to be a tremendous force. But, OTOH there are no guarantees. Perhaps next training camp, Mitch or Hicks is injured. Or, maybe the D can't generate the turnovers at such a rapid rate next season. The NFL rarely goes to plan (ex: MIN and PHI, both of whom were supposed to be unstoppable this season). Right now, the Bears have fortuitous health, cohesion, and a burgeoning self-confidence and they need to ride it as far as they can.  

You can add the rams to that list too

Archived