2018 draft thread - still sucking a decade later

Its A Sabotage

2 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Considering what has transpired this offseason I tend to agree (clearly showing a lesser value for the WR position than most, seem to be fine with more #2/#3's than a top end guy, etc.), but man has there been so many links. Most every person that has talked about us has us taking Moore/Sutton/Chark.

I don't think this team is completely averse to taking a receiver. The problem is this just isn't the year to do so. This WR draft could be just as deep as the 2014 draft, only without the top "stars" that 2014 had. Kind of similar to TE, Sutton/Moore/Ridley/Chark/Kirk any of these guys would be fairly similar grades it just depends on what you want, and there are still guys like Miller, Calloway, St. Brown, Washington (hello deep threat! the type the Jaguars seem to want in their wide receivers now)

Who knows? Maybe they really really have a high grade on one of those receivers. I think that player would have #1 potential on their board if they decide to pull the trigger at that spot. But I don't think they do.

Amazingly, and I know its not recent, but Tony Pauline had them taking Gesicki about a month ago. And I know there's that blurb out there that our scouts spent a lot of time in Penn State this past season.

It's quite possible this staff is playing some serious poker out there

Thinking about it, maybe...maybe there is some smoke to the receiver talk, I don't know. I'm trying to find the links, but I vaguely remember after the draft (of course it could be just GM speak) but I remember Caldwell bringing up that Lee had a 1st round grade on their board, and so did Allen Robinson (which is why they traded up to ****** him up).

So if those two players are their definition of 1st round receiver prospect, it certainly is quite possible that they would also have late 1st round value on guys like Moore, Ridley, Sutton, Kirk.

2 minutes ago, Speedyg said:

I don't think this team is completely averse to taking a receiver. The problem is this just isn't the year to do so. This WR draft could be just as deep as the 2014 draft, only without the top "stars" that 2014 had. Kind of similar to TE, Sutton/Moore/Ridley/Chark/Kirk any of these guys would be fairly similar grades it just depends on what you want, and there are still guys like Miller, Calloway, St. Brown, Washington (hello deep threat! the type the Jaguars seem to want in their wide receivers now)

Who knows? Maybe they really really have a high grade on one of those receivers. I think that player would have #1 potential on their board if they decide to pull the trigger at that spot. But I don't think they do.

Amazingly, and I know its not recent, but Tony Pauline had them taking Gesicki about a month ago. And I know there's that blurb out there that our scouts spent a lot of time in Penn State this past season.

One WR I'm a big fan of is Anthony Miller. I'd be totally happy getting him in round 2 or 3 if he's around.

Sutton and Moore are the two best guys from this class imo. Ridley is interesting as wel. I'm not a HUGE fan of Kirk but his style of play would line up with what our FO likes.

I hope they are though, because if we want to build a bully of an OL we still need a RG as Cann should honestly be replaced and Parnell is on the outs in the next couple years. That right side needs a stud, and there's several guys who could be exactly that who should be available at 29.

3 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

i think u can give him the dede westbrook talk

Based on all the reports this seems much more extensive/problematic than Dede and it isn't close.

He reportedly fired his agent who invited him to live with him and his family to help his situation.

3 hours ago, Speedyg said:

I think the assumption was that it was about loving Gesicki because of a perceived TE need...but I think there are two other aspects to that whole heavily scouting penn state thing from earlier that are at least as plausible, if not more so.

1.You don't practically live there looking at one guy if you're really sold on them. You'd maybe do that if you're having a really hard time getting a read on whether the guy is going to be a fit or not. Repeated scouting would seem to indicate uncertainty or something they're not sure on, more than necessarily being super high on a guy.

2.Probably the better explanation is that it's not even always about that one team. It could easily have been a convenience factor watching all the other teams coming through penn state.

Which makes even more potential sense when you think about what's there...especially with an elite RB, and that athletic mismatch TE.

What better way to see how say, a LBer might handle some things than to see how they fare against guys like Barkley and Gesicki? Gives you a reasonable baseline for comparison at the very least. 

Archived