Star Wars Episode I is the best of the Prequels

MKnight82

On 12/23/2018 at 9:45 PM, fretgod99 said:

Machete order solves all your problems.

4, 5 (ending on the reveal), 2 (skipping 1 entirely), 3, 6.

It makes the six (five) movies turn into a really nice fall and redemption arc for Anakin. You miss a few decent/important things in 1, like QGJ and a bit of the exposition that would be nice, but cut all the really painful stuff like Jar Jar and midichlorians.

I'm aware of Machete Order. I was going to have my gf watch it that way but it turns out she's meh on the whole Star Wars thing (liked Rogue One, not so much ANH)

Those are some good points, OP. 

Unfortunately, for me, Jar Jar and having a kid actor in the movie completely ruined what could have been an otherwise decent movie.  I wish I had a more objective argument than that.  

I rewatched the movies this year.  Kind of a Star Wars marathon thing.  And, oddly, Jar Jar didn't annoy me as much this time around and I think I may know why.  Context matters. At the time of the release of the movie, Jar Jar was freakin' everywhere.  Toys, posters, commercials, and even people walking around talking like him for probably 6 months or longer.  It was Frozen level bad.  I'm sure some parents out there know what I mean by that.  lol

19 hours ago, Ataal said:

Those are some good points, OP. 

Unfortunately, for me, Jar Jar and having a kid actor in the movie completely ruined what could have been an otherwise decent movie.  I wish I had a more objective argument than that.  

I rewatched the movies this year.  Kind of a Star Wars marathon thing.  And, oddly, Jar Jar didn't annoy me as much this time around and I think I may know why.  Context matters. At the time of the release of the movie, Jar Jar was freakin' everywhere.  Toys, posters, commercials, and even people walking around talking like him for probably 6 months or longer.  It was Frozen level bad.  I'm sure some parents out there know what I mean by that.  lol

There was even a Gungan game if I recall correctly.  They hit it right with the N64 podracing game, but The Gungan Frontier was a Sim-Life esque game that never ended.  

I did the same thing and recently watched all of them, and you are correct, he isn't nearly as annoying as he was throughout the entirety of the prequel trilogy.  

On 12/25/2018 at 12:15 AM, Mr Bad Example said:

I'm aware of Machete Order. I was going to have my gf watch it that way but it turns out she's meh on the whole Star Wars thing (liked Rogue One, not so much ANH)

so where does Solo A Star Wars story fit in the machete order?

2 hours ago, Malfatron said:

, Solo, Rogue One, Rebels AS, 4, 5,  Clone Wars AS, 3, 6, Resistance AS, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 

Then for terribleness, Holiday Special, *insert your most hated movie here*, The Ewok movies,  

6 minutes ago, SwoleXmad said:

, Solo, Rogue One, Rebels AS, 4, 5,  Clone Wars AS, 3, 6, Resistance AS, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 

Then for terribleness, Holiday Special, *insert your most hated movie here*, The Ewok movies,  

maybe Solo should come after TFA to give some backstory on Han while his death is fresh in the mind

also, rouge one being first wouldnt make any sense to people. that should go between 4 and 5.

10 hours ago, Malfatron said:

maybe Solo should come after TFA to give some backstory on Han while his death is fresh in the mind

also, rouge one being first wouldnt make any sense to people. that should go between 4 and 5.

I can see that, it's probably a better fit there given it probably shouldn't be the 1st star wars movie. 

Rogue one leads directly into a new hope, like straight up the closest movie game between movies save for 7&8, probably would have more impact after 4 no doubt. Plus release order is king among all things, but fair point.

18 hours ago, Malfatron said:

I haven't seen it yet. I'd assume those listing it as pre-R1 are probably dead on, though I think someone else suggested viewing it post TFA to further salt the wound of Han's death which may not be a bad idea, either. 

Tbh I suspect some day Episode 1 will be viewed very favorably. 

Its like the On Her Majesty's Secret Service of the Star Wars movies.  People couldn't handle the next level 3d chess of intergalactic diplomacy and jedi biochem, they were like BRING BACK THE CAMP, which Lucas did to a certain extent with attack of the clones.  Some day people will realize Phanton M is among the best Star Wars movies.

Archived