Jerry Rice vs Don Hutson?

ZenoRazon

Just now, Norm said:

Would he play college? I need to know. Of the maybe 12 plays that exist of him publicly, not all are offense and some he's barely in frame. Just how good would he be? How good is a guy nobody here has seen play a snap. I'm dying to know.

Okay, semi kidding, it's all very very very likely true. But still. 

200 is an exaggeration. He'd be in the Top 50 probably. Not a #1, but still a very solid #2 IMO.

8 minutes ago, Danger said:

200 is an exaggeration. He'd be in the Top 50 probably. Not a #1, but still a very solid #2 IMO.

See I actually don't think he'd be top 50 lol. I'm a weirdo who watches pre merger football for fun, there's very little you can find of him, little **** in college was around when I looked for this stuff. This is sacrilegious but I'm not sure Jeff Janis or whatever can't do what he did placed in the 30s/40s. His legend comes from being so far ahead of his time. There's only one player from that era I'm convinced without a doubt could play now and that's Motley. Hutson probably becomes a pro in this era under our training methods though, I think? Who ******* knows

12 hours ago, ZenoRazon said:

Yep, that would be me. Do I know you, from where?

You used to call him the other f word every day on that Spurs site when you weren't telling stories about committing crimes overseas with minor girls lol

Here you go Norm....for your reading pleasure

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/alabama-football/25-facts-about-alabama-legend-don-hutson/

• Hutson scored a touchdown once every 4.5 catches in the NFL. For perspective, Jerry Rice scored once every 7.9 catches and Randy Moss once every 6.3.
  • He accomplished all of that as a two-way player who also played safety for the Packers, intercepting 30 career passes, and often handling kicking duties as well.
  • Hutson came to the University of Alabama on a partial baseball scholarship. Baseball was his childhood love, and then he became an all-state basketball player in high school, but he was a football walk-on.
  • The basketball coach doubled as the athletic director and asked Hutson to join the track team. The three-sport standout said he didn’t have time, and the coach asked him to at least practice for a day so that the team would have someone to push its to sprinter. The next afternoon, Hutson ran 100 yards in 9.7 seconds. He never practiced, but finished second at the conference track meet, running the same time.

Defenses often double- and triple-teamed Hutson in the NFL. He modernized all sorts of common receiving routes — he was the first to run a slant in a       straight line while others did it in rounded fashion — but perhaps his most famous was inventing the post route.

In 1942, Hutson played in 11 games and caught 74 passes for 1,211 yards and 17 touchdowns.

32 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Here you go Norm....for your reading pleasure

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/alabama-football/25-facts-about-alabama-legend-don-hutson/

• Hutson scored a touchdown once every 4.5 catches in the NFL. For perspective, Jerry Rice scored once every 7.9 catches and Randy Moss once every 6.3.
  • He accomplished all of that as a two-way player who also played safety for the Packers, intercepting 30 career passes, and often handling kicking duties as well.
  • Hutson came to the University of Alabama on a partial baseball scholarship. Baseball was his childhood love, and then he became an all-state basketball player in high school, but he was a football walk-on.
  • The basketball coach doubled as the athletic director and asked Hutson to join the track team. The three-sport standout said he didn’t have time, and the coach asked him to at least practice for a day so that the team would have someone to push its to sprinter. The next afternoon, Hutson ran 100 yards in 9.7 seconds. He never practiced, but finished second at the conference track meet, running the same time.

Defenses often double- and triple-teamed Hutson in the NFL. He modernized all sorts of common receiving routes — he was the first to run a slant in a       straight line while others did it in rounded fashion — but perhaps his most famous was inventing the post route.

In 1942, Hutson played in 11 games and caught 74 passes for 1,211 yards and 17 touchdowns.

I'm aware of all this though Shane lol

He didn't get triple teamed though lol. Load of ****.

1 hour ago, Norm said:

I'm aware of all this though Shane lol

He didn't get triple teamed though lol. Load of ****.

Maybe he did but the were farmers and lord knows what else. Same with old arse nba players. Yeah they were tough and fouled and played dirty. But the skill these boys have today goes far beyond any of that era. 

7 hours ago, Pugger said:

Yes, all of this is true but it took DECADES before most of his NFL records were broken so it wasn't just the war and pre-integration.   If he were in his prime today would he have had the training and conditioning players have today?  Perhaps.  He wouldn't be the top WR in the league but he wouldn't be the worst either.

His volume records (catch-yds-tds) were bound to be broken, given the trajectory of the game....what former GB WR took over for him as the all time catch and yardage leader in the 1963 season? 

2 hours ago, El ramster said:

Maybe he did but the were farmers and lord knows what else.

This **** is overrated as **** and puts a giant "I'm clueless" sign on your head. The idea they were just random ****s like you and I is just repeated over and over by people who don't know the first thing about that era, let alone anything before they were 13 and found out about fantasy

41 minutes ago, Norm said:

This **** is overrated as **** and puts a giant "I'm clueless" sign on your head. The idea they were just random ****s like you and I is just repeated over and over by people who don't know the first thing about that era, let alone anything before they were 13 and found out about fantasy

What the hell are you saying. Dirty truck driver language. 

40 minutes ago, El ramster said:

What the hell are you saying. Dirty truck driver language. 

I'm in a bad mood for some reason lol

I didn't reply to it last time but the crazy violence of the old football stuff is overrated too. I've seen Lane play a few times now and he never clotheslined anyone, stuff like that. There's so many things like that, just don't seem true but it's just been repeated for decades. Nitschke is one as a GB fan. No way in ******* hell he was more dominant than Sam Huff, he was probably the 3rd or 4th best player on the D a lot of years but he was white and not black and his appearance obviously blew him up for those who never saw him play.

Archived