Week 17: Bears (11-4) at VIKINGS (8-6-1)

Vikes_Bolts1228

25 minutes ago, KeithVikings28 said:

Gotta grab a top flight DT in this draft.

I’m not against the idea, but it sure would’ve nice to not have to build the defense almost entirely out of high round draft picks and top level Free Agents. Correct me if I’m wrong, but Zimmer inherited 2 pro bowlers in Griffen and Smith, spent 4 first rounders on Barr, Rhodes, Waynes, and Hughes, and 2 seconds on Kendricks and Alexander. We have a couple JAGs at OLB and S, but Hunter seems like the only defender that has really been developed (although Hill is looking good). 

38 minutes ago, Snake Plissken said:

I’m not against the idea, but it sure would’ve nice to not have to build the defense almost entirely out of high round draft picks and top level Free Agents. Correct me if I’m wrong, but Zimmer inherited 2 pro bowlers in Griffen and Smith, spent 4 first rounders on Barr, Rhodes, Waynes, and Hughes, and 2 seconds on Kendricks and Alexander. We have a couple JAGs at OLB and S, but Hunter seems like the only defender that has really been developed (although Hill is looking good). 

Weatherly has turned into a pretty good player.

38 minutes ago, Duluther said:

Weatherly has turned into a pretty good player.

And Harris and Kearse looked good in stretches, but it's a good point. Hunter is the only guy that has really turned out of mid to late round defensive players. I love Zimmer and don't think he should be fired this year, but we really need to nail this year's draft/FA period or we could become the post Harbaugh niners pretty quickly. Aging talent that seemingly reached it's pinnacle last year and not a lot behind them. It's nerve-wracking.

1 hour ago, vikestyle said:

And Harris and Kearse looked good in stretches, but it's a good point. Hunter is the only guy that has really turned out of mid to late round defensive players. I love Zimmer and don't think he should be fired this year, but we really need to nail this year's draft/FA period or we could become the post Harbaugh niners pretty quickly. Aging talent that seemingly reached it's pinnacle last year and not a lot behind them. It's nerve-wracking.

The secondary is still strong and has a lot of young talent in Hughes, Waynes, Hill, Alexander and Harris.

Kendricks should be very good for awhile so that's half of your starting LB crew. 

Where a young infusion of talent is needed  to sustain the defense is in the front four. Hunter is the only set building block. Griffen and Joseph have peaked and should see a regression. Seems like we have already seen that regression this year. Who knows what happens with Griffen, he's not cheap. Weatherly looks good as a third DE but I worry he may just price himself out of MN. There really isn't much to feel good about at UT long term. 

2 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

The secondary is still strong and has a lot of young talent in Hughes, Waynes, Hill, Alexander and Harris.

Kendricks should be very good for awhile so that's half of your starting LB crew. 

Where a young infusion of talent is needed  to sustain the defense is in the front four. Hunter is the only set building block. Griffen and Joseph have peaked and should see a regression. Seems like we have already seen that regression this year. Who knows what happens with Griffen, he's not cheap. Weatherly looks good as a third DE but I worry he may just price himself out of MN. There really isn't much to feel good about at UT long term. 

Right. It will be interesting to see what happens there this offseason. Everson could very well be cut. Weatherly looked good, so hopefully Bower or Odenigbo could step into the third DE role.

If Barr leaves, can we start Wilson long term? It was encouraging that we had Downs on the 53 all year. It will be interesting to see if we have something in him. 

As for UT, if Richardson and Johnson leave it looks ROUGH. We can hope Jalyn Holmes becomes something, but we'd need at least 1 more guy regardless.

Assuming we cut Sendejo, Harris should step right in. However, how do we tender Harris? Second round? A smart team may sign him to a decent offer sheet and we don't have a ton to match with.

23 minutes ago, vikestyle said:

Right. It will be interesting to see what happens there this offseason. Everson could very well be cut. Weatherly looked good, so hopefully Bower or Odenigbo could step into the third DE role.

If Barr leaves, can we start Wilson long term? It was encouraging that we had Downs on the 53 all year. It will be interesting to see if we have something in him. 

As for UT, if Richardson and Johnson leave it looks ROUGH. We can hope Jalyn Holmes becomes something, but we'd need at least 1 more guy regardless.

Assuming we cut Sendejo, Harris should step right in. However, how do we tender Harris? Second round? A smart team may sign him to a decent offer sheet and we don't have a ton to match with.

I think Harris has already proven himself as an upgrade over Sendejo. A second round tender is fair.

Richardson is a solid piece but didn't seem reliable through the course of the year. It seems that Johnson and Holmes are supposed to be the same player, but if Richardson walks, you almost have to bring back Johnson. 

I don't know what to think with Barr. I'm just not convinced that his role is worth upwards of $12-$15 million per year.

Was Cousins trying to show Thelien how to run a route? That’s disrespectful. Goes back to what I said, Keenum last season had the chemistry and the team rallied around him. Is he more talented than Cousins? No, but there is a lot more than just talent that goes into a team especially from the QB position. Keenum was better for the Vikings than he is for the Broncos. I believe had Keenum still been on the Vikings they win at the very least 8 games (like Cousins led the Vikings this season). I honestly think the Vikings make the playoffs with Keenum.

The stunt Cousins pulled on the sideline I hope it don’t carry over to next season and everything is good because you don’t show up your receiver like that. 

Probably no thoughts to add that haven’t already been said. 

Entire team didn’t show up. 

No pass rush. 

Terrible defense on 3rd downs, penalties included.

Did we run one screen, draw, or play-action? 

Hopefully the team takes this as a *humbling season. Should be embarrassed  

Archived