Free ain't free in the NFL...

vike daddy

4 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Drafting Ponder was "trying" too. 

Yes it was. It's well known you have to devote resources to the QB position to succeed in the NFL. We hoped Ponder would come on and be a game manager. He wasn't. Is #12 high to take a game manager? Absolutely. But would we have been better off with McNabb? 

Could we have saved ourselves 8-10 million by signing Case this year? Yes. Would it have significantly changed the outcome of our season? I doubt it.

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

Yes it was. And I’ll take a failure from someone trying over someone who won’t try so they can temper expectations.

Case got the same team to the NFCCG. Cousins got us a seat on the couch.  Ponder and Cousins were both objectively terrible moves. One was a reach, and the other had a verifiable history of being meh. Plus history and football economics were against the signing from the very beginning. But cool. We tried. And when his contract is up in 2 more years, we'll be closer to a rebuild than a rebound. 

1 hour ago, wcblack34 said:

Case got the same team to the NFCCG. Cousins got us a seat on the couch.  Ponder and Cousins were both objectively terrible moves. One was a reach, and the other had a verifiable history of being meh. Plus history and football economics were against the signing from the very beginning. But cool. We tried. And when his contract is up in 2 more years, we'll be closer to a rebuild than a rebound. 

I'd argue that Diggs got us to the championship game. Keenum nearly blew it but at least didn't fold like Cousins does against competent competition . 

26 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I'd argue that Diggs got us to the championship game. Keenum nearly blew it but at least didn't fold like Cousins does against competent competition . 

That’s fair. But Cousins probably wouldn’t have even gotten that throw off. 

8 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

They probably look at Lamar Jackson instead of Mike Hughes in round one. Jackson replaced veteran Flacco and will be playing his first playoff game in a week. 

Possible. Would you go into the draft with no QB? With this roster? Or maybe someone trades up for him? I can't imagine taking that chance. 

3 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

Possible. Would you go into the draft with no QB? With this roster? Or maybe someone trades up for him? I can't imagine taking that chance. 

There’s absolutely no way the team was going to enter free agency without having a QB signed, let alone enter the draft without a QB. 

Heck, none of the teams that drafted a QB in the top 10 entered the draft without a starting QB.

Not to mention, with the 30th pick, you’re far from guaranteed a chance at getting a top QB. 

14 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

I'm sure they would have signed someone. Even Simien gets us as far as Cousins did (no playoffs).

19 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

There’s absolutely no way the team was going to enter free agency without having a QB signed, let alone enter the draft without a QB. 

Heck, none of the teams that drafted a QB in the top 10 entered the draft without a starting QB.

Not to mention, with the 30th pick, you’re far from guaranteed a chance at getting a top QB. 

Exactly. If we don't sign Kirk we probably have around $20 million devoted to Case or Sammy B anyway.

Archived