Raiders hire Mike Mayock as GM

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

He does not need the experience.  You can tell with how he interacts with with his co-workers and what people say about him.  I have not seen how he manages but how he controls himself, others, and a panel.  That lets me know he has what it takes.

Ok so when you say Mayock is good at managing people it is based from how he interacts on tv....9_9

2 minutes ago, Dessie said:

Ok so when you say Mayock is good at managing people it is based from how he interacts on tv....9_9

The simple answer is we don't know what to expect from him.  He's never held the position before.  That could be either good or bad.  We just don't know yet.  We do know he's a to tier talent evaluator.  When you hold as many picks as we do, and lack the talent we do, you need to hit in those picks.  I love this outside the box thinking.  

3 minutes ago, Dessie said:

Yes because that is what I have to go off of.  I do not know if you have ever been in a position to mange and make personnel decisions but I have.  A good leader does not have to be the smartest and the best at everything.  They need people around them that they trust and give good advice.  They need to be committed and willing to do what is best.  Most of all they need people to be willing to follow them and believe in them.  Mayock has that.  You watch him for a little while and you begin to root for him.  President Bush had that but decided to surround himself and trust the wrong people.  My only concern about Mayock is his demeanor in negotiations.  Will he blink?

7 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Yes because that is what I have to go off of.  I do not know if you have ever been in a position to mange and make personnel decisions but I have.  A good leader does not have to be the smartest and the best at everything.  They need people around them that they trust and give good advice.  They need to be committed and willing to do what is best.  Most of all they need people to be willing to follow them and believe in them.  Mayock has that.  You watch him for a little while and you begin to root for him.  President Bush had that but decided to surround himself and trust the wrong people.  My only concern about Mayock is his demeanor in negotiations.  Will he blink?

Mayock can only be judged on his managerial skills once he has actually done it, your statement that he was good at managing is worthless as evidently you have no idea whether he is or not. 

1 hour ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Yup and fwiw mike has a lisp 

You equating Reggie's manner of speech to his negotiating style is tone deaf. Comes off as a thinly veiled attack on his intellect. To think that other teams shied away from dealing with Reggie because of this is asinine. To think that his style of speech somehow affected his judgement of value and or negotiating tactics is laughable. It's more of a reflection on you then on Reggie.

• Like 3

Just now, Dessie said:

Mayock can only be judged on his managerial skills once he has actually done it, your statement that he was good at managing is worthless as evidently you have no idea whether he is or not. 

Managing people.  You do not need to be an actual manager to show this.  Is a game managing QB an actual manager or a gun slinging QB an actual cowboy?  When I promoted people to higher positions I saw some ability to do that job without them actually doing it.  His skill set matches what we are missing for the position.  Gruden and other FO personnel are there to fill in the gaps and he will be learning on the fly.  It is risky but I think he will be fine based on what I have seen.

5 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Managing people.  You do not need to be an actual manager to show this.  Is a game managing QB an actual manager or a gun slinging QB an actual cowboy?  When I promoted people to higher positions I saw some ability to do that job without them actually doing it.  His skill set matches what we are missing for the position.  Gruden and other FO personnel are there to fill in the gaps and he will be learning on the fly.  It is risky but I think he will be fine based on what I have seen.

You do have to show that you are a good manager first before someone says you are. E.g You have no idea if Mayock is good at managing people, you are projecting that he could be. Although now you say ‘you think he will be fine’.

Edited by Dessie

3 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

You equating Reggie's manner of speech to his negotiating style is tone deaf. Comes off as a thinly veiled attack on his intellect. To think that other teams shied away from dealing with Reggie because of this is asinine. To think that his style of speech somehow affected his judgement of value and or negotiating tactics is laughable. It's more of a reflection on you then on Reggie.

I agree that it would be idiotic to judge RM based on this but human beings do stupid things.  It is easily possible that RM's speech had a negative effect on our team when dealing with other teams and free agents.  It is unfair but it is reality.

Just now, Dessie said:

You do have to show that you are a good manager first before someone says you are. E.g You have no idea if Mayock is good at managing people, you are projecting that he could be.

I am saying he interacts with people in such a way that makes him a lot more likely to be successful at managing people from a GM position because he has shown on TV that he is good at managing people on a peer to peer level.  This, I believe, is the most important and hardest to learn aspect of managing.  He already does it naturally under those circumstances.  Now he may get the job and turn into a control freak that nobody can talk to because the power has gone to his head.  It happens sometimes but his boss needs to be able to control that.  This also rarely happens for those who naturally interact the way he does on TV

3 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I am saying he interacts with people in such a way that makes him a lot more likely to be successful at managing people from a GM position because he has shown on TV that he is good at managing people on a peer to peer level.  This, I believe, is the most important and hardest to learn aspect of managing.  He already does it naturally under those circumstances.  Now he may get the job and turn into a control freak that nobody can talk to because the power has gone to his head.  It happens sometimes but his boss needs to be able to control that.  This also rarely happens for those who naturally interact the way he does on TV

You said he was good at managing people that’s why I asked what you were basing it off, now you are saying ‘likely to be successful at managing people’ which is completely different. 

45 minutes ago, Dessie said:

You said he was good at managing people that’s why I asked what you were basing it off, now you are saying ‘likely to be successful at managing people’ which is completely different. 

Good at managing people on a peer to peer level.  You do not have to be a manager to manage people.  I am clearly doing a poor job of it with this conversation.  How he interacts (manages) with people leads me to believe he can handle and control it the same way with a general managers title.  Is this really that hard to understand.

Manage: To dominate or influence (a person) by tact, flattery, or artifice. He manages the child with exemplary skill.

You can respond but I would like to get back to the discussion of Mayock and away from what is managing.

Edited by drfrey13

2 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

I agree that it would be idiotic to judge RM based on this but human beings do stupid things.  It is easily possible that RM's speech had a negative effect on our team when dealing with other teams and free agents.  It is unfair but it is reality.

Explain how you think that would go...

Just ridiculous.

5 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

Idk he never seemed like the type who eat sleep n shi football. Gruden n mayock are insanely locked into football. You know reg track record with us (draft/ coaches/ fa) is spotty. Im just not sold on him being sharp enough to keep up with todays game. I’m just saying me personally if I’m doing business I want the sharp guy. Granted I wasn’t in any negotiating rooms with reg but from pc’s and interviews I was never impressed with his vocabulary or coherence. Just me. 

Edited by NCOUGHMAN