Raiders hire Mike Mayock as GM

RaidersAreOne

6 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

I agree that it would be idiotic to judge RM based on this but human beings do stupid things.  It is easily possible that RM's speech had a negative effect on our team when dealing with other teams and free agents.  It is unfair but it is reality.

I really doubt Reggie picks up the phone and negotiates with anyone they have people to do this for them.

This is a billion dollar business were talking about there’s professional negotiator, accountants and lawyers to take care of most of the stuff.

3 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Idk he never seemed like the type who eat sleep n shi football. Gruden n mayock are insanely locked into football. You know reg track record with us (draft/ coaches/ fa) is spotty. Im just not sold on him being sharp enough to keep up with todays game. I’m just saying me personally if I’m doing business I want the sharp guy. Granted I wasn’t in any negotiating rooms with reg but from pc’s and interviews I was never impressed with his vocabulary or coherence. Just me. 

Haha...you can't argue with prejudice.

7 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

Explain how you think that would go...

Just ridiculous.

By others making judgments based upon characteristics they have preconceived ideas about and using that as a factor in their decision making.  You think just because someone is a professional that they do not use stereotypes.  Everyone does in many ways throughout our typical day.  It is an evolutionary characteristic to make decision making easier.  Sometimes it works against us or causes us to unfairly judge people.  Have you ever been interviewed for a job that you thought your prospective boss did not know as much as you?  Do you think that would impact your decision just like pay, location , facilities, benefits, etc...  Some may value this more than others and at the margins be a deciding factor in a decision.

3 hours ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

I really doubt Reggie picks up the phone and negotiates with anyone they have people to do this for them.

This is a billion dollar business were talking about there’s professional negotiator, accountants and lawyers to take care of most of the stuff.

To think that a GM never directly talks to outside members and negotiate is crazy.  They may have others guiding and coaching them through it to stop them from making a mistake (Austin Howard)but they do get directly involved.

2 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

By others making judgments based upon characteristics they have preconceived ideas about and using that as a factor in their decision making.  You think just because someone is a professional that they do not use stereotypes.  Everyone does in many ways throughout our typical day.  It is an evolutionary characteristic to make decision making easier.  Sometimes it works against us or causes us to unfairly judge people.  Have you ever been interviewed for a job that you thought your prospective boss did not know as much as you?  Do you think that would impact your decision just like pay, location , facilities, benefits, etc...  Some may value this more than others and at the margins be a deciding factor in a decision.

Everything you are saying is true in a general sense but I just don't buy that people in NFL circles would hold that against Reggie. I believe the majority don't think like you thankfully.

I like this hire.

From Mayock's point of view it is a great position to be in. The Raiders have plenty of cap room, we are financially well positioned with the move to Vegas, we have little wasted or dead cap and no bloated contracts and we also have 5 first round picks in the next 2 years and already have our franchise QB and a couple other building blocks.

From our point of view I think Mayock could be the Yin to the Yang that is Gruden, he come across as very methodical, level headed and calm. Someone who's not likely to make knee jerk reactions or overreact out of emotion unlike some of our FO. He's also a good source of knowledge on the draft and draft prospects and I've liked his opinions over the years, provided he actually gets a say in the proceedings I think this could work out very well and be just what we need to get the best out of Gruden also. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

Haha...you can't argue with prejudice.

Lolol come on prejudice Race has nothing to do with the ability to communicate clearly See : DeMaurice Smith, Jerry Jones etc

You can’t argue reg’s poor track record either. If he was doing his job well he’d still have a job.

Edited by NCOUGHMAN

9 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Exactly the nfl is a business but it’s families involved also. As a player it’s no guarantee that you’ll make it through the season alive. Often times fa is more than just picking a team it’s about picking a place to move your family too. Agents know this and every aspect of a deal imo is scrutinized down to the gm orchestrating the deals. 

I worked for a law firm for 10 years and my uncle is a lawyer who respresented entertainers who signed deals with Quincy Jones in the 80’s and early 90’s. I saw / heard a lot of behind the scenes talk between lawyers, agents, ceos, managers etc. Trust me when you’re dealing with lawyers or agents you have to speak a certain language aka use a certain vocabulary or you won’t be taken seriously. 

If you’re selling a used car who cares what language you use but trying to sell a player/agent on multi million dollars deals requires more imo. 

43 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Lolol come on prejudice Race has nothing to do with the ability to communicate clearly See : DeMaurice Smith, Jerry Jones etc

You can’t argue reg’s poor track record either. If he was doing his job well he’d still have a job.

PREJUDICE - preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience.

I didn't say anything about race.

38 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Exactly the nfl is a business but it’s families involved also. As a player it’s no guarantee that you’ll make it through the season alive. Often times fa is more than just picking a team it’s about picking a place to move your family too. Agents know this and every aspect of a deal imo is scrutinized down to the gm orchestrating the deals. 

I worked for a law firm for 10 years and my uncle is a lawyer who respresented entertainers who signed deals with Quincy Jones in the 80’s and early 90’s. I saw / heard a lot of behind the scenes talk between lawyers, agents, ceos, managers etc. Trust me when you’re dealing with lawyers or agents you have to speak a certain language aka use a certain vocabulary or you won’t be taken seriously. 

If you’re selling a used car who cares what language you use but trying to sell a player/agent on multi million dollars deals requires more imo. 

And I'm sure Reggie spoke and presented himself it just fine when he helped recruit Peyton Manning to UTenn...

...and when he worked his way from first time scout to director of football operations in 8 years with the Packers.

...and when he was hired as our GM and led a team from roster hell to Executive of the Year, as voted on by the Pro Football Writers of America.

I'm not saying that the ugly culture of prejudice toward someone that doesn't sound the same as you doesn't exist. What I'm saying is that doesn't seem to have hurt Reggie in his career, because I surmise most people in NFL front office circles are evolved enough to not see this as a detriment as you do.

20 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Good at managing people on a peer to peer level.  You do not have to be a manager to manage people.

Manage: To dominate or influence (a person) by tact, flattery, or artifice. He manages the child with exemplary skill.

I agree and Nate B. is showing this skill and it's why his TV presence is expanding. MM has it and it's subtle. It's harder to manage peers because EGO gets in the way. He knows when to speak and when to listen. It is a skill that many don't have and are horrible managers. My boss tells me to do something and I know it's a choice to keep things as they are or when to 'rock the boat'  I had a boss like that and she lost 75% of her staff and she lost her job and will probably never be hired to manage again. She lacked the skill and took things personally so she was the 'control freak' and it didn't work. I'm a control freak normally but when I've managed people I follow the guidelines from books by Bristol, Carnege and Hill. 

On the articulate subject, I didn't notice it with RM. However I do know we ALL are judged on our appearence. When I had a shaved head I had faicial hair I had a kid run up to me at the park and spit on my foot as he said something in Spanish. My first thought was WTF but when I got to the bathroom I saw my reflection in the mirror and I think he thought I was a 'skinhead' When I go hiking if I waer a hat backwards I get less smiles and hi's from passer by's compared to hair down hiking. So we ALL are judged off how we look and come across. Reggie trading down for Hayden and getting less value is why Zona gave us peanuts to trade up for Rosen. Once teams know you will accept less, they offer less. Gruden has shown the NFL all is for sale so who knows what happens with Carr.

Edited by G
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

And I'm sure Reggie spoke and presented himself it just fine when he helped recruit Peyton Manning to UTenn...

...and when he worked his way from first time scout to director of football operations in 8 years with the Packers.

...and when he was hired as our GM and led a team from roster hell to Executive of the Year, as voted on by the Pro Football Writers of America.

I'm not saying that the ugly culture of prejudice toward someone that doesn't sound the same as you doesn't exist. What I'm saying is that doesn't seem to have hurt Reggie in his career, because I surmise most people in NFL front office circles are evolved enough to not see this as a detriment as you do.

I agree but the league is constantly evolving and like I said initially I’m not sure reg can keep up with the current nfl. 

It will be interesting to see where reg’s next stop is.

35 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

I haven't ignored your "reason". I just choose to believe, from the evidence we can gather, that it hasn't been a meaningful impediment in his career.

Agree just my opinion. Just Spit balling trying to make sense of reg’s moves (trades compensation/draft picks/ coaching hires & fires/ fa) etc. Again I’m not a nfl executive so I’m just spit balling.