Offseason Thread

ttitansfan4life

28 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

The most intriguing thing to me in that article is the idea of trading Conklin and extending Kelly.

I don't think we would, but it's an interesting thought depending on the compensation.

Jon Robinson isn't brain dead thankfully, so that's not going to happen.

59 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

The most intriguing thing to me in that article is the idea of trading Conklin and extending Kelly.

I don't think we would, but it's an interesting thought depending on the compensation.

I didn't consider it either... but it certainly does have some sense behind it.  Our drafting has gotten better, so now those 2nd contracts are being contested... who is going to earn those big extensions (as well as competing FAs). 

I'm in no way trying to debate that Conklin is bad/undeserving of a 2nd contract.  I can look at this year and chalk it up to the injury.  I also don't think he's traded this year.  He's still extremely cheap... as is Kelly.  He'll definitely get the option exercised.  But they could decide that Kelly at 5M/year presents more value than Conklin at 15M+/year... especially considering that Lewan is at 18M+/year.  It's not unprecented... at the turn of the century, we had Hop and Runyan, and let Runyan go.  Maybe Miller wasn't the quality player Runyan was, but he was definitely serviceable and a good value at a fraction of the cost (Runyan was made the highest paid OL ever when he received that contract with the Eagles).  We then did the same when Miller signed with the Bears for 22M+, and we went with the rookie Roos (then the rookie Stewart).  We don't have Munch to coach up our OL anymore, but the point is that teams may not be able to pull off carrying a team with 2 of the highest paid OL.  Titans will have to prioritize where they value him.

If they could get a 2nd or even a 1st for him... with the potential to keep Kelly for a few years while we groom the next guy up... that's definitely something to at least consider. 

16 minutes ago, 615finest said:

I’m really looking forward to how Vaccaro vs Cyp will play out.  Will we keep both or let one walk. It’ll be hard to keep both with KB needing an extension soon.

Robinson said the other day they will be negotiating with Vaccaro, so seems he wants him back.

Just now, TitanSS said:

What compensation would make the move not seem brain dead though? That's what I find interesting.

An out of this world offer that no team would ever make for a RT, even one as good as Conklin.

You win from the trenches. You have two franchise book end tackles. You don't ruin that, you've already got enough work to do on the interior. Kelly is a fine swing tackle, and played well enough this year(and I'm also more than fine with extending him for a few years, competent o-line depth is hard to come by), but has proven in his career he is not consistent and not a guy you want to rely on long term at tackle.

Building a dominant o-line and improving the pass rush should be the biggest priorities this off-season. Trading away Conklin kills the first part of that.

Derrick Henry running the way he did the last 6 or 7 weeks of the season behind a great o-line, and add a better pass rush to go with Dean Pees top tier blitz designs? If Mariota can actually stay healthy for 14-15 games we can do a lot of damage.

59 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

An out of this world offer that no team would ever make for a RT, even one as good as Conklin.

You win from the trenches. You have two franchise book end tackles. You don't ruin that, you've already got enough work to do on the interior. Kelly is a fine swing tackle, and played well enough this year(and I'm also more than fine with extending him for a few years, competent o-line depth is hard to come by), but has proven in his career he is not consistent and not a guy you want to rely on long term at tackle.

Building a dominant o-line and improving the pass rush should be the biggest priorities this off-season. Trading away Conklin kills the first part of that.

Derrick Henry running the way he did the last 6 or 7 weeks of the season behind a great o-line, and add a better pass rush to go with Dean Pees top tier blitz designs? If Mariota can actually stay healthy for 14-15 games we can do a lot of damage.

I don’t know kelly proved to me this year that he’s ready to be a starter. Maybe early in his career he didn’t get enough reps to develop but this guy move guys in the run game he’s physical at the point of attack. I would like to see Conklin at Guard only because he’s isn’t athletic or explosive as kelly. But I do think Conklin is a stud when healthy & his legs under him

6 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

I think Conklin is solid, but I never thought he was as good as he was made out to be. I don't expect him to be half as bad as he was last year, and I don't think he needs to be converted to an OG, but I would entertain getting a late 1st for him.

7 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

I think Conklin is solid, but I never thought he was as good as he was made out to be. I don't expect him to be half as bad as he was last year, and I don't think he needs to be converted to an OG, but I would entertain getting a late 1st for him.

that isn't remotely close to the realm of possibility, lol

Just now, -Hope- said:

that isn't remotely close to the realm of possibility, lol

A good OT in this league is certainly getting a late first. Maybe the injury concerns hurt it some, but so long as he physically checked out, he could easily pull that.

And we'd be stupid to take it cause the chances you're getting a player as good as Conklin with that late first isn't very high, and then you still have to replace Conklin, cause I'm sorry, Kelly isn't a long term answer at OT. Or, lets say he is, you then have to replace your swing tackle, and I don't think I need to talk about how bad offensive line depth is in this league.

I would run my head through a wall if we traded Conklin for any offer that isn't other worldly.

33 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

A good OT in this league is certainly getting a late first. Maybe the injury concerns hurt it some, but so long as he physically checked out, he could easily pull that.

And we'd be stupid to take it cause the chances you're getting a player as good as Conklin with that late first isn't very high, and then you still have to replace Conklin, cause I'm sorry, Kelly isn't a long term answer at OT. Or, lets say he is, you then have to replace your swing tackle, and I don't think I need to talk about how bad offensive line depth is in this league.

I would run my head through a wall if we traded Conklin for any offer that isn't other worldly.

I think we have different views on how good Conklin is. I think he's a good, not great, RT who's going to get paid a decent amount after 2019.

Kelly has been solid and consistently good for three years filling in. Obviously, that would be a huge risk and could backfire entirely. Also, someone is going to pay him to start. 2019 is his last year under contract. I think he gets too much to be brought back as a swing OT and have Lewan and Conklin making what they do, plus paying lower starter money for a backup. We're looking for a new swing tackle either way.

I agree entirely on wanting to build dominant fronts on both sides of the ball. If he's a dominant player for us it would be stupid to do, but I've always felt like the previous coaching staff had to do a lot to help him in pass pro. 

Even still, not saying I would do it, just that's when I would start considering it.

Edited by TitanSS

I don't think Conklin has been great... Just like some have argued that Mularkey's focus on max protect helped Mariota, it helped the Oline, and probably no one more than Conklin. 

He is good though... And the premium the league has placed on the position dictates his market will be inflated. If he bounces back from injury, and we get a good offer, we need to be smart, get the return for him and let someone else pay him that contract he's likely to get. 

If nothing else our scouts have shown a knack of hitting on OTs... For years now... Hopkins, Runyan, Roos, Stewart, Lewan, Conklin, and even the trade for Kelly. Kelly may only be a fill in while a young kid takes over, but his play this year definitely showed he can be an effective starter in this league (he may have been out best ol down the stretch). 

But it's really a business decision. It's not a question of how good Conklin is. It's a question of him being worth 18M+/year, which is probably what the market will dictate for him as long as he bounces back. Maybe he is... We face Watt and the Jags dline 4 times a year. 

This season will tell a lot about our future. If Mariota takes that step and we have to pay him... And we have to pay Byard, and we have to pay Henry, and we have to pay Ryan, and we're looking at Davis and Landry and Jayon the following year... Possibly Adoree and Evans. As we draft better we have to make those hard decisions. And if Robinson is really bringing the Patriot way to Nashville, there's going to be some moves that aren't going to be loved by the fan base. Conklin may be the first of those decisions next offseason.