Giants to pick #6 in 2019 NFL draft

Acgott

On 5/2/2019 at 6:52 AM, w4rrior723 said:

I just realized something. Daniel Jones is Alex Smith. They have near identical measurables, (size, combine numbers). They have the same strengths (intelligence, character, accuracy, good athleticism) and weaknesses (arm strength, big play ability). 

A turnover-prone Alex Smith... *shudders*

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/2/2019 at 8:19 AM, w4rrior723 said:

lol he's what Alex Smith is, not what people thought Alex Smith was. Still, even if he turns out to have a similar career to Alex Smith, that wouldn't be disappointing as a #6 pick. It just wouldn't be great. 

to be fair, Alex had a really strong arm and incredible deep ball accuracy until he separated his throwing shoulder, came back 3 weeks later, played through it for a month or so (with a terrible OL, taking a ton of hits) until he sought a second opinion, had surgery and missed the rest of the season plus the entire season the following year. After that his arm wasn't as good. 

Not to mention, the absolute worst position to be thrown into as a young QB. Those niners teams back then were a complete joke from ownership, to coaching, to supporting cast. Not many human beings could have made it through the way he did to be honest

• 4 weeks later...

Definitely not a fan of how this franchise have conducted its business to do what is now pretty obvious in a complete make over of this roster, cutting ties with any player that had any connection to past management.  Nonetheless, I think this GM is doing a solid job of drafting players.  

Anyone care to speculate on how many games this team might actually win with this young roster?  

On 15/07/2019 at 12:00 AM, ny92mike said:

Definitely not a fan of how this franchise have conducted its business to do what is now pretty obvious in a complete make over of this roster, cutting ties with any player that had any connection to past management.  Nonetheless, I think this GM is doing a solid job of drafting players.  

Anyone care to speculate on how many games this team might actually win with this young roster?  

Bro, I haven’t looked less forward to an nfl season since I’ve started watching football. Like I have 0 optimism for this season. Almost forgot that the season is approaching. 6 games at best for this team. 

21 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

Bro, I haven’t looked less forward to an nfl season since I’ve started watching football. Like I have 0 optimism for this season. Almost forgot that the season is approaching. 6 games at best for this team. 

LOL...I hear ya.  This GM could of done a rebuild without destroying it to get there.  He's set this team back a few years while burning bridges as he goes.  

I agree my optimism meter is pigged at zero too.  Basically just a lot of potential out there with basically the same issues from the last season...Offensive line is still in question and we have no pass rushers basically used this draft to replace the talent he traded or cut away.  However, he's so deep into this now that it would be pointless to hire someone else to fix it damage is done so lets see how it holds up.

What damage is actually done. They traded obj and replaced him with Tate. Tate can run block way better but obj is more talent. Where else did we really downgrade. Oline is way better d-line is better corners are young but talented  we have a future qb. Best running back in football.  Very talented receivers with room to grown. TE are good.  Peppers will be better then Collins.  Collins cant cover anybody but was a good in the box safety which isnt what they need.  Idk. I'm very excited about this season. Reminds me when tiki retired and yall know what happened then 

It wasn't that they just traded Odell, it was that they lost 16 million by giving him a massive extension and then turned around and traded him only to turn around and give Tate a 4 year 37.5 million dollar deal.  It's bad business.  

They have beefed up the offensive line by adding Kevin Zeitler but I still see issues with the Center and Right Tackle (waited to pick one up int he 7th round) spots and last year the left side wasn't playing amazing so there is work that needs to be done still.

We traded away our best and that isn't saying much defensive edge rusher in Vernon.  We addressed that with a 3rd round draft pick, who knows maybe he plays lights out.  

The team traded Snacks and our rush defense felt it, we used I believe the Cleveland first to fill that spot with Dexter, who I think is going to be a solid player but what was wrong with keeping Snacks?  

Like I said I think this GM can draft well, he's picked up a lot of talent but he's also kicked a lot of talent to the curb.  I understand the need to replace Collins because he's a better 43 defensive safety, needed a better coverage guy but did we really need to switch to a 34 defense?  We weren't missing much with what we had with that defense.  

All I'm saying is the front office didn't need to completely remove as much as they did to rebuild this team.  

I like the optimism thinking that this unit is going to win a ring, but this roster isn't the same roster the Giants had back in '07.  We had a slew of pass rushers that could rush all day long, a solid offensive line that gave Eli the time to get down field,  Just don't see the same with this unit at least not at this point.  Maybe next season when they address a little more of the issues that have plagued this team for the past 4 or 5 years.  Beef up the line and get some productive pass rushers back on this roster.

• Like 1

As talented as OBJ and Collins are, they were part of the Giants culture problem the past 4 years. This team needed a culture change and needed to be rebuilt from scratch.  Gettleman came in and did just that. Whether he made the right moves for the rebuild is TBD.  The defense is young, and obviously Jones will take his lumps early in his career.  But hopefully next year and beyond they can become competitive again. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/16/2019 at 2:45 AM, Kip Smithers said:

Your right, I'm not optimistic for this year either, but I think everything has been built towards 2020 since Gettleman took over.  We'll probably have another top 10 pick this year, and 90 million in cap space for the offseason.  I haven't agreed with everything Gettleman has done, but have always believe this.  

On a side note, I agree with Gmen.  Collins and OBJ, while talented, we're part of the problem in the locker room here.  Considering comments they've made since they both left, I don't even really think that's arguable anymore.  Simply can't have players like that when you want a young QB to take over this team in the next 2 years.

While I am optimistic for 2020, lets be honest, everything is going to hinge on whether Daniel Jones is going to be ready to be a good nfl starter next year.  If we get our next franchise QB for the next 10 years, I'll happily give up this season for 10 years of that.  

2 hours ago, Gmen19851 said:

Your right, I'm not optimistic for this year either, but I think everything has been built towards 2020 since Gettleman took over.  We'll probably have another top 10 pick this year, and 90 million in cap space for the offseason.  I haven't agreed with everything Gettleman has done, but have always believe this.  

On a side note, I agree with Gmen.  Collins and OBJ, while talented, we're part of the problem in the locker room here.  Considering comments they've made since they both left, I don't even really think that's arguable anymore.  Simply can't have players like that when you want a young QB to take over this team in the next 2 years.

While I am optimistic for 2020, lets be honest, everything is going to hinge on whether Daniel Jones is going to be ready to be a good nfl starter next year.  If we get our next franchise QB for the next 10 years, I'll happily give up this season for 10 years of that.  

Honestly spare me the locker room nonsense. I’m sick of tired of it. What exactly were the problems? If so, how can that in any way shape or form be tied to Landon or even Odell? The problem is that we sucked and were a bad team, and players weren’t happy about it. Winning creates the culture, culture doesn’t create the winning. 

Odell and Landon are unhappy on how things unfolded with management. Perfectly within their right. When players leave teams they typically don’t give kind words. “You can’t have players like that with a young QB”. Nonsense. Did you see the players the Rams brought in last season with a young QB like Goff? 

1 minute ago, Kip Smithers said:

Honestly spare me the locker room nonsense. I’m sick of tired of it. What exactly were the problems? If so, how can that in any way shape or form be tied to Landon or even Odell? The problem is that we sucked and were a bad team, and players weren’t happy about it. Winning creates the culture, culture doesn’t create the winning. 

Odell and Landon are unhappy on how things unfolded with management. Perfectly within their right. When players leave teams they typically don’t give kind words. “You can’t have players like that with a young QB”. Nonsense. Did you see the players the Rams brought in last season with a young QB like Goff? 

Yes, once again you just dismiss anything you don't agree with without any real points.  Why would I expect anything else

• Like 1