Antonio Brown missed wk. 17 game due to dispute w/ teammate

Apparition

26 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

One team saves a little more than $1 million and the other a little less than $5 million so I don't think the cap is a factor for either team if they want to trade AB or OBJ.

There isn't cap incentives to really keep or trade the players so I think both teams are in the same boat. If they want to move on they can, if they don't there is no financial incentive to do so.

Thanks for keeping me on my toes

The funny part is that now Florio is talking about the 49ers being interested in OBJ. Regular season is over 2 days and we are already getting talk about the Giants potentially moving on from OBJ? LOL. Silly season is starting early. 

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

The funny part is that now Florio is talking about the 49ers being interested in OBJ. Regular season is over 2 days and we are already getting talk about the Giants potentially moving on from OBJ? LOL. Silly season is starting early. 

There's nothing to really suggest NYG is unhappy with OBJ though.   Let's face it, NYG played hard, but the team was secretly happy they lost all those games at the end.  Kinda best of both worlds (team didn't give up, so character is intact, but they still moved up to pick at 1.6).   I think they're going to move up for Haskins IMO (to play keep-away from JAX) - GM Gettleman has flaws, but one thing he's not afraid to do - move up to get his guy.   I think Haskins to NYG at 3-5 range is happening, it's just a Q of how much does NYG have to move up to get him.   Nothing but gut feel here, before ppl ask.

Back to AB - I get that it's hard to axe Tomlin, given their current situation.   Big Ben only has a short time left.   Their team is built more to win now than later.  So staying seems like the right call.

But as much as Bell and AB own their part in the events of the deteriorating relationship in PIT, the one common element I really dislike seeing - how the locker room culture makes it ok for ppl to air dirty laundry in public.  Big Ben criticizing guys in public.  OL guys calling out Bell for exercising his right to hold out - and to boot, the 2 guys were NFLPA reps - the LAST guys who should be doing it in public (in behind closed doors, by all means, say F Bell, he can rot - but you don't do that in public as a NFLPA team rep).    The coaching staff have clearly enabled a culture where all of the dirty laundry is being aired publicly.    And that's destroying the chances to repair the relationship (I'll point out Bell's relationship damage started before this year, and both sides own their share).    But for this to happen 2x in less than 6 months, yeah, there's a problem here that lies in part with Tomlin & co.   By itself it's not enough to justify firing him, but man, it's pretty ugly in PIT right now.

As for AB & PIT, the one silver lining - at least teams who might be interested in trading for him don't have to worry about the knee now.  :D

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

There's nothing to really suggest NYG is unhappy with OBJ though.   Let's face it, NYG played hard, but the team was secretly happy they lost all those games at the end.  Kinda best of both worlds (team didn't give up, so character is intact, but they still moved up to pick at 1.6).   I think they're going to move up for Haskins IMO (to play keep-away from JAX) - GM Gettleman has flaws, but one thing he's not afraid to do - move up to get his guy.   I think Haskins to NYG at 3-5 range is happening, it's just a Q of how much does NYG have to move up to get him.   Nothing but gut feel here, before ppl ask.

Yeah, thats why I called it silly season. I have no idea what would have happened this year that would make them want to move on from OBJ unless there was something else going on with the injury that broke some level of trust between the two of them. 

But if we are going to go full on silly season for the time being here are my madden silly season moves for the 49ers:

#2 + additional pick / player to Jax for #7 & Ramsey (values Ramsey at pick #15 + mid rounder)

#7 and next year's first for AB + #19 (Values AB at basically two second round picks, but that's a high first and a future first as well, so I think it would be appealing - I am discounting the future first to a second rounder when considering the value). 

16 minutes ago, Forge said:

Yeah, thats why I called it silly season. I have no idea what would have happened this year that would make them want to move on from OBJ unless there was something else going on with the injury that broke some level of trust between the two of them. 

But if we are going to go full on silly season for the time being here are my madden silly season moves for the 49ers:

#2 + additional pick / player to Jax for #7 & Ramsey (values Ramsey at pick #15 + mid rounder)

#7 and next year's first for AB + #19 (Values AB at basically two second round picks, but that's a high first and a future first as well, so I think it would be appealing - I am discounting the future first to a second rounder when considering the value). 

As long as the SF rumors are for players like AB or Ramsey, at least there you have real smoke the team is unhappy with them.  There is nothing with OBJ & NYG.  Doesnt' mean it won't happen, but at least with AB/Ramsey, it's very plausible the team's exploring options for life without them in 2019 (who both also fit the criteria of moving a star out of conference, something a team always prefers doing to mitigate the risk of the deal blowing up in their faces, at least then it's only 1x every 4 years they get directly reminded of that mistake).  You don't publicly sell your players out if you aren't at least considering that.

FWIW I don't think Ramsey has juice yet, but that AB scenario is very plausible.

29 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Isn't everything suggesting that Haskins is returning to school? Like literally his teammate made the announcement he was declaring for the draft and Haskins asked him to stay one more year ... that's pretty telling.

1 minute ago, Nick_gb said:

Isn't everything suggesting that Haskins is returning to school? Like literally his teammate made the announcement he was declaring for the draft and Haskins asked him to stay one more year ... that's pretty telling.

That tweet to Mike Weber is the one item that suggests Haskins is staying.  And yeah, it's not a lock he's coming out, as he's never said he's coming out.   I should have said "provided he's in the draft".     It should be noted that Haskins hasn't said he's returning, either.    His radio silence ever since Herbert announced he's staying in school suggests he's rightfully waiting until after the Bowl game to announce his intentions - but that also increases the chances he's declaring.  Such a tease...lol.

I suspect we'll find out shortly after today's game, this week at the latest obv.

Just now, Broncofan said:

That's the one item that suggests Haskins is staying.  And yeah, it's not a lock he's coming out.   I should have said "provided he's in the draft".     It should be noted that Haskins hasn't said he's returning, either.   Such a tease...lol.

I suspect we'll find out shortly after today's game, this week at the latest obv.

Agreed, I honestly hope he comes out. It's his best chance. He'd be passing up millions to stay one more year. This is an extremely weak QB class and that alone plays well into his favor. Next year is an entirely different story if he stays the 2020 QB class would be absolutely insane. 

5 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

Agreed, I honestly hope he comes out. It's his best chance. He'd be passing up millions to stay one more year. This is an extremely weak QB class and that alone plays well into his favor. Next year is an entirely different story if he stays the 2020 QB class would be absolutely insane. 

Well, while I'm ambivalent about him being a NFL success with only 1 year of competition in the can, if he repeated what he did this year next, he'd remove all doubt, and then could easily make the argument for being 1.1 next year (Tua has a ton of hype, but 2 years of Haskins level performance in Big 10 will match it IMO).   I think Herbert made a huge mistake by not declaring TBH, I think he's going to be well behind those 2, and Eason/Fromm could match him.   But yeah....loaded 2020 class.   I'm REALLY hoping DEN doesn't invest too hard this year, so they can hit 2020 hard at QB - that wish would go up 10x if Haskins joined that loaded group.    I do agree that Haskins is the top QB in this class, but it might "only" be 1.5 or 1.6 (which is still nothing to sneeze at) - versus 1.1 next year (remember, alpha QB's don't think "hey Tua will beat me next year", he's thinking "I stay, I'm balling out and going 1.1 next year").

Anyways, enough hijacking of the AB thread.....lol.

9 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

At this point, trade him. Trade him to some bottom feeder with a young QB like the Jets and then laugh after he freaks out in week 5 and becomes the first WR to ever try and strangle his QB on live TV.

Get the Steelers and jags on the phone for me for the 49ers. I can find a way to make my proposal work

I always find it interesting when players ask to be traded (and Brown, while I do feel he bears some responsibility in this as well, may well have an argument for doing so here), yet you never see them so eager for that trade that they're willing to re-do their contract.  He accounts for something like $20m in dead money against the 2019 ledger for the Steelers if he's traded due to the deferment of cap hits from his signing bonus and restructuring of his contract that occurred previously to convert salary to bonus monies and prorate that over future contract years at ~$3.25MM annual.

Archived