Antonio Brown missed wk. 17 game due to dispute w/ teammate

Apparition

21 minutes ago, The LBC said:

I always find it interesting when players ask to be traded (and Brown, while I do feel he bears some responsibility in this as well, may well have an argument for doing so here), yet you never see them so eager for that trade that they're willing to re-do their contract.  He accounts for something like $20m in dead money against the 2019 ledger for the Steelers if he's traded due to the deferment of cap hits from his signing bonus and restructuring of his contract that occurred previously to convert salary to bonus monies and prorate that over future contract years at ~$3.25MM annual.

To be fair though, that 22M dead money isn't coming off the books with any renegotiation.  PIT already paid that $ out, they just delayed the cap hit for 2017 & 2018 for other contracts to get under the team cap - AB agreed to that to get PIT under the cap, it obviously didn't hurt him, but it wasn't like he can do much now - even the 12M 2019 salary (which is a bargain for his production), that goes to the team acquiring him.  The dead money is from the past.

AB can't really do much to help them lower the cap hit now.   I agree with your sentiment, but in this case, there's nothing anyone can do to help reduce the hit.   

33 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

may well have an argument for doing so here

What would that be, out of curiosity? He's underappreciated despite getting more targets per game this season, having more targets over the last 6 years than any other WR, and more catches than anyone else? Or that he was being shown up by his QB because he was asked to run a play again during practice?

7 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

What would that be, out of curiosity? He's underappreciated despite getting more targets per game this season, having more targets over the last 6 years than any other WR, and more catches than anyone else? Or that he was being shown up by his QB because he was asked to run a play again during practice?

I edited it already - the reason to accept a pay cut would have been if it helped make AB more tradeable, but it didn't apply in AB's case, so it was removed.   It certainly can't be argued for production otherwise, the annual $ for 2019 is a bargain relative to production - why it was removed 40 minutes ago lol (I think you had an older version saved).

7 hours ago, game3525 said:

AB is wrong for his reaction. It was a selfish move to put his teammates in this situation and it is unfair to the coaching staff. 

However, I can see why he is frustrated. Brown has been the most consistent player in the NFL since 2013. It has to be annoying to have to listen to someone like Ben, who hasn't been consistent the last several years, criticize you. If Ben was as consistent as he was in 2014 and 2015, I doubt Brown would have had this reaction. 

WILDLY inconsistent....crazy, I tell you...Passer Ratings of 94.5 / 95.4 / 93.4 / 96.5 (Span of 3.1), with Comp% of 68 / 64.4 / 64.2 / 67 (Span of 3.8)...I see what you mean...poor Brown, I mean, if he only had someone as consistent as Rodgers and his ratings from 92.7 to 104.2 (Span-11.5) and Comp % from 60.7 to 65.7 (Span-5), or Brady's Span of 14.5 in Passer Rating, or Brees increase of 14 pts, while decreasing his YPG of 59 YPG , while Ben increaased his by 47 over the past 3 years??

Whew...Brown has had it really rough with a QB who goes out of his way to target a 5'10 WR in RZ over and over...more and more, year after year...You mean, Ben doesn;t have a 75% Comp%???  It's only 67%...man, Ben just really stinks...

1 hour ago, Ward4HOF said:

WILDLY inconsistent....crazy, I tell you...Passer Ratings of 94.5 / 95.4 / 93.4 / 96.5 (Span of 3.1), with Comp% of 68 / 64.4 / 64.2 / 67 (Span of 3.8)...I see what you mean...poor Brown, I mean, if he only had someone as consistent as Rodgers and his ratings from 92.7 to 104.2 (Span-11.5) and Comp % from 60.7 to 65.7 (Span-5), or Brady's Span of 14.5 in Passer Rating, or Brees increase of 14 pts, while decreasing his YPG of 59 YPG , while Ben increaased his by 47 over the past 3 years??

Whew...Brown has had it really rough with a QB who goes out of his way to target a 5'10 WR in RZ over and over...more and more, year after year...You mean, Ben doesn;t have a 75% Comp%???  It's only 67%...man, Ben just really stinks...

I'm 99% sure he was talking about consistency game to game, not season to season. Ben has definitely been up and down the last few seasons, with several high peak games but some games where he completely sucks. Believe what you will, but he's been streaky.

Also, passer rating is a horrible metric to use for just about everything.

21 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

There's no chance they trade Brown. They got another couple years of Ben's title window and they're going to have to keep it all in and hope the prodigious talent they have breaks through one time against all the drama.

Dunno... they benched him in a meaningful Week 17 matchup. If his relationship is indeed completely irredeemable, they  may have no choice but to trade him.

Plus, the Steelers seem to have no issue in developing WR talent... Juju has shown he's more or less ready to be the WR1.

1 hour ago, wackywabbit said:

There's no chance they trade Brown. They got another couple years of Ben's title window and they're going to have to keep it all in and hope the prodigious talent they have breaks through one time against all the drama.

See, I actually don't think that comes into play all that much if only because as great as AB is, I really don't know how much he changes the title window. I simply don't know that he's a requirement for that team to be good enough to win the super bowl. Obviously, I'm not saying that he's not beneficial, any time you have that kind of production and talent, it's a boon to a team. But who's to say that his removal from the offense doesn't make it run smoother? Who's to say the locker room isn't more cohesive. 

Yeah, I'm totally going Ewing theory here, but I don't know. While it certainly affects the team in some regards, they can also get a solid return for him potentially and maybe adding other pieces, a more harmonious situation, etc makes the team better? 

3 hours ago, Ward4HOF said:

Assuming he means game-by-game. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

See, I actually don't think that comes into play all that much if only because as great as AB is, I really don't know how much he changes the title window. I simply don't know that he's a requirement for that team to be good enough to win the super bowl. Obviously, I'm not saying that he's not beneficial, any time you have that kind of production and talent, it's a boon to a team. But who's to say that his removal from the offense doesn't make it run smoother? Who's to say the locker room isn't more cohesive. 

Yeah, I'm totally going Ewing theory here, but I don't know. While it certainly affects the team in some regards, they can also get a solid return for him potentially and maybe adding other pieces, a more harmonious situation, etc makes the team better? 

From what I heard, the Steelers would take a $20 million dollar cap hit next year if they trade Brown. I think it would get reduced if he's traded after June first, but most teams would want to be set by that point. At least in terms of who is going to be your number one receiver. 

4 hours ago, Ward4HOF said:

Ben was actually pretty lackluster this year. Especially the first third of the season. Shuster and Brown were doing the heavy lifting. Both had good years in spite of accuracy issues from Ben. And that is with the Steelers having arguably the best offensive line in the league. 

6 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

From what I heard, the Steelers would take a $20 million dollar cap hit next year if they trade Brown. I think it would get reduced if he's traded after June first, but most teams would want to be set by that point. At least in terms of who is going to be your number one receiver. 

It would be reduced for the current year, but they'd still have 21 million total in dead money. It'd just be split 7 million in 2019, 14 million 2010 (if they trade him after june 1) 

Archived