2019 Offseason Preview/FA Rumors

jetskid007

27 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

I'm thinking leave it. As great as it would be to see an imposing player at EDGE, I'd like to see the Jets do what Macc said he would (but didn't): build a pipeline at the position.  

I think we should resign Leo; I truly think he will break out in this defense and he's only 24. After that, we're going to have to be careful how we spend our money. We won't have nearly as much as last year and we have a few players who may land big contracts based on this years play; namely Robby and Beachum. It could be determined that the offense has been to blame rather than both of them, and with both being reletively young with plenty of starting experience they'll likely be in line for big extensions. Hopefully Edoga takes steps and we can consider using him at LT, but I'd love to go after guys like La'el Collins, Daryl Williams, JC Tretter, Brandon Scherff if possible. Build a dominant OL with Sam and Bell... woof. Then use the draft to address the defense (and add a WR). 

I think Edoga is the future RT once he passes Shell who hasn't done enough to secure the job long term.

As for FA next year I love the idea of attacking those FA OL spots.  Winters guaranteed money is up so he's an easy cut if we landed an upgrade same with Beachum who should be upgraded too assuming we can lure a talent like Collins to play LT for us.

With a solid OL via FA we'd have the ability to target pass rusher, WR, CB, and C in the draft.

For sure, Douglas will attack OL next off season but who will Jets get is up in the air.  I kind of count on Alex Lewis to take over RT this season but I won't complain if he ends up at RG.   LT and C will be the biggest issue for next season.  No natural LT is available for 2020 FA class so drafting one is a must.

4 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

I think Edoga is the future RT once he passes Shell who hasn't done enough to secure the job long term.

As for FA next year I love the idea of attacking those FA OL spots.  Winters guaranteed money is up so he's an easy cut if we landed an upgrade same with Beachum who should be upgraded too assuming we can lure a talent like Collins to play LT for us.

With a solid OL via FA we'd have the ability to target pass rusher, WR, CB, and C in the draft.

The surprising thing is that Edoga already looks better that Shell. Shell’s a low end starter.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

I'm thinking leave it. As great as it would be to see an imposing player at EDGE, I'd like to see the Jets do what Macc said he would (but didn't): build a pipeline at the position.  

I think we should resign Leo; I truly think he will break out in this defense and he's only 24. After that, we're going to have to be careful how we spend our money. We won't have nearly as much as last year and we have a few players who may land big contracts based on this years play; namely Robby and Beachum. It could be determined that the offense has been to blame rather than both of them, and with both being reletively young with plenty of starting experience they'll likely be in line for big extensions. Hopefully Edoga takes steps and we can consider using him at LT, but I'd love to go after guys like La'el Collins, Daryl Williams, JC Tretter, Brandon Scherff if possible. Build a dominant OL with Sam and Bell... woof. Then use the draft to address the defense (and add a WR). 

Agreed on all accounts except Beachum. I think we need a new starting LT next year. I'd go hard after Collins in FA rather than pay Beachum at his age. Also C is still a hole. Kalil is just a stop gap for this season maybe.

As far as capitalism goes people usually do something stupid for money leverage. It is pointless to call former 1st round picks players who hold out stupid.

What do you think?

A) CBA should omit the July 15 deadline for new contract extension/no sign freeze.

B) Once 5th year option is exercised an original team can't exercise any form of tags on a certain player for 6th season.

C) The recoup for losing a 5th year exercised player to FA will be either 1st round pick (outside top 20) or 2nd round pick (inside top 20) in the upcoming draft.

Is it a good compromise for each party?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JetsandI said:

As far as capitalism goes people usually do something stupid for money leverage. It is pointless to call former 1st round picks players who hold out stupid.

What do you think?

A) CBA should omit the July 15 deadline for new contract extension/no sign freeze.

B) Once 5th year option is exercised an original team can't exercise any form of tags on a certain player for 6th season.

C) The recoup for losing a 5th year exercised player to FA will be either 1st round pick (outside top 20) or 2nd round pick (inside top 20) in the upcoming draft.

Is it a good compromise for each party?

I agree that something needs to be done. These franchise tags are not working and more and more players are threatening to sit out. Bell actually did it. Let’s see what Clowney does.

5 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

I agree that something needs to be done. These franchise tags are not working and more and more players are threatening to sit out. Bell actually did it. Let’s see what Clowney does.

It is Bell's fault that younger (contract-wise) players start to follow his strategy.   I don't like that.

Woke up this morning with the thought that the Jets need to be all in. Haha. We have 3 years with Darnold on a rookie contract. We need to be aggressive. 

My wild GMing. Trade Shell and a 2nd for Clowney. Trade a 3rd for Rasul Douglas or another starting caliber corner if available. Resign Robby, Osemele, and Leo. Massage the cap for this year since it’ll be tight. Maybe I’m dreaming, but if we add a starting caliber corner and Clowney, I don’t see why we are not a team that competes for the playoffs. Then go into next year with a first round pick to add another premium player (LT if possible or WR). I would resign Beachum as a stop gap. Im sure this won’t be too popular but I think the Jets need to ramp this thing up to try and win in the next 3 years. All these guys are just entering their prime. So it’s not like we are an old team.

1 minute ago, JetsandI said:

It is Bell's fault that younger (contract-wise) players start to follow his strategy.   I don't like that.

Teams have too much power. It needs to be more balanced. I think your suggestions would help. I don’t fault Bell for doing what he did. 

Edited by SDotNova

1 minute ago, SDotNova said:

Woke up this morning with the thought that the Jets need to be all in. Haha. We have 3 years with Darnold on a rookie contract. We need to be aggressive. 

My wild GMing. Trade Shell and a 2nd for Clowney. Trade a 3rd for Rasul Douglas or another starting caliber corner if available. Resign Robby, Osemele, and Leo. Massage the cap for this year since it’ll be tight. Maybe I’m dreaming, but if we add a starting caliber corner and Clowney, I don’t see why we are not a team that competes for the playoffs. Then go into next year with a first round pick to add another premium player (LT if possible or WR). I would resign Beachum as a stop gap. Im sure this won’t be too popular but I think the Jets need to ramp this thing up to try and win in the next 3 years. All these guys are just entering their prime. So it’s not like we are an old team.

7zK6iz.gif

heh.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

We don't have a lot of money for the future. So we cant go spending a ton. Are you letting Leo walk? Cutting Tru and Anderson? Fact is we aren't like we are most years we have plenty of money. We spent a lot of that money this last offseason and have to pay 2-3 players this offseason. Adding Clowney would really tie us down and would IMO make us have to choose between Leo and him. Having both probably cant happen.

3 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

Teams have too much power. It needs to be more balanced. I think your suggestions would help. I don’t fault Bell for doing what he did. 

Yeah..   If it were me as HC, I won't frequent one RB too much to carry the offense. That way the value for RB stays low. lol.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

We don't have a lot of money for the future. So we cant go spending a ton. Are you letting Leo walk? Cutting Tru and Anderson? Fact is we aren't like we are most years we have plenty of money. We spent a lot of that money this last offseason and have to pay 2-3 players this offseason. Adding Clowney would really tie us down and would IMO make us have to choose between Leo and him. Having both probably cant happen.

In my scenario, we definitely won’t be players in FA. It would definitely put us tight against the camp, but I think we can make it work. Leo $14, Robby $11, Clowney $20. And Beachum as a stop gap at $8.  Currently, the Jets are $40 mil under the cap next year. I would make room by cutting players like Winters, Williamson, and Roberts. Nice players but they arent moving the needle. That gets us close $60 of cap space. Typically cap hits trend up during a players contract. So that $60 mil should give us enough to sign those 3 guys, and draft picks. 

Edited by SDotNova