The Gun Thread

fotballer

Re: ammo shortage.  Years ago I got a laser trainer, and it sat around collecting dust.  While IMO you can never replicate the same thing, it has been a great tool to just work on the fundamentals in lieu of range time.  I believe I have the LasterLyte laser cartridge which works pretty well.  There are certainly better setups that include targets and such but drawing on some cardboard has worked out just fine for me. 

37 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

You can still find them for close to normal price, just not from some ballbags on Armslist or awful vendors.  Normally gen 4/5 Glocks are 550ish, unless you’re getting an MOS variant.  If I wanted one now I’d be fine paying an extra 50 or something, but that’s about it.

Tbh the cost of the gun isn’t the big expense.

Once you start milling slides, buying quality lights, optics, decent BUIS, extra mags, a holster or two and ammo, the gun is just a portion of the cost.

I think for my first go at this, I'm going to go cheaper. I would prefer a 9 but wife preferred the 22 when she shot it which should be no surprise to anyone as it's easier to handle.  Trying to stay below $350 if anyone wants to throw out recommendations. I won't be MODing this either if that has any influence on suggestions. 

3 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I think for my first go at this, I'm going to go cheaper. I would prefer a 9 but wife preferred the 22 when she shot it which should be no surprise to anyone as it's easier to handle.  Trying to stay below $350 if anyone wants to throw out recommendations. I won't be MODing this either if that has any influence on suggestions. 

Police trade in Glock or M&P.  

A 22 pistol isn’t generally reliable enough for a defensive firearm nor are the ballistics what most consider acceptable.  

buy once cry once tbh.

12 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Police trade in Glock or M&P.  

A 22 pistol isn’t generally reliable enough for a defensive firearm nor are the ballistics what most consider acceptable.  

buy once cry once tbh.

Thanks for the heads up. I might just go w/ the 9 and tell her to deal w/ it. What are your feelings on Taurus as a manufacturer?

Edited by BobbyPhil1781

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Recoil management, especially with 9mm, is technique, not strength.

Not my first choice.  Or second... or...

She's only shot once so maybe she just needs more time. Luckily I have many friends on the local force and we can use their range at any times as long as no other LEOs (as I guess they're called these days) are there.

I know your first two choices lol. You listed them. I just saw the G3 and the price point looks good and my boss said they're fine but not his favorite either. He suggested a Canik TP9sa as well.

Edited by BobbyPhil1781

2 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

She's only shot once so maybe she just needs more time. Luckily I have many friends on the local force and we can use their range at any times as long as no other LEOs (as I guess they're called these days) are there.

I know your first two choices lol. You listed them. I just saw the G3 and the price point looks good and my boss said they're fine but not his favorite either. He suggested a Canik TP9sa as well.

Yeah Canik’s have a good rep.  

If money is an issue, maybe ask a friend for loaner while you save up?

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah Canik’s have a good rep.  

If money is an issue, maybe ask a friend for loaner while you save up?

Good to know b/c I found a good price on that Canik. Never heard of it though until earlier today.

Money isn't an issue at all it's just me being frugal lol. My wife and I are DINKs but her spending habits need to be balanced out by my spending habits so I had to adjust mine over the years. Whenever I see anything close to the $500 range I always have to ask "is it really worth it"? lol. The joys of some people's marriages. 

• Like 2

On 1/13/2020 at 9:11 PM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Shot my first IDPA style competition tonight. I feel almost silly saying it, but I was friggin nervous. 😆 I’ve shot by myself probably 95% of the time with the exception being a friend or my kids and I’ve never had any formal training, just kinda self taught though videos and such so I was concerned I was gonna go in there and look like a damned fool (which is really not my personality, I’m usually pretty comfortable in most situations).

It was 2 stages, 37 total round.  First was 5 (5) round strings drawing while standing still from 10 yard, a mix of two handed and strong hand fire.  I dropped 4 out of the A zone.  

The second course was a low light (as in DARK, indoor range, lights off).  Use your light, identify which target has the gun, 4 rounds, light off mag change while moving to the second position behind a barricade.  4 shots on 2 targets with a “hostage”/no shoot target somewhat overlapping the edges of both.  Ran this course clean.

So I get done, realize I actually did ok and definitely didn’t make a fool of myself and all realized nobody there would have cared if I had.  

What I guess I’m getting at, is if you’ve ever thought about doing something like this and putting your skills to an actual test, DO IT! I had a ton of fun and learned more about where I stood as a shooter from those 37 rounds than you’d even think possible.  Low light/no light, on the move, behind barriers, on a timer with an audience was a different experience all together.

I really need to get into this stuff.  I for the first time am actually really nervous about some training I have coming up Monday/Tuesday as it is a combo of pistol/carbine work + field medical stuff and then it all ends with an active course drill situation.  Going to be exciting but being the first time I am combining all of these things at once, going to also be interesting. 

• Like 1