BDL Discussion Thread 2019

Jlash

Hockey - I'll go over the numbers tonight to show you the minimal difference in how the two contracts would have played out. I chose to use my 2018 cap space to sign Hunter early. He went from making $686 in 2018 to $9K+. I budgeted the cap for that purpose. Hunter was never hitting FA regardless.

Edited by SirA1

29 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

Yea when SirA used his 2019 3up in 2018 for Danielle Hunter last season to keep him from hitting Free Agency....

3ups are year round.  The cutoff date is prior to Free Agency, then the next year's 3 ups are usable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SirA1 said:

Hockey - I'll go over the numbers tonight to show you the minimal difference in how the two contracts would have played out. I chose to use my 2018 cap space to sign Hunter early. He went from making $686 in 2018 to $9K+. I budgeted the cap for that purpose. Hunter was never hitting FA regardless.

I'm curious to this break down because its essentially what I was trying to do (or should have done?) with Diggs and I just want to get it right for next time. Its frustrating because Diggs has been tagged for me as a 3up candidate since before last draft but using a 2019 3up in 2018 doesn't seem like it should be allowed?

2 hours ago, pheltzbahr said:

3ups are year round.  The cutoff date is prior to Free Agency, then the next year's 3 ups are usable.

So for clarification.....because he used a 3up AFTER 2018 FA started its technically a 2019 3up?

But then wouldn't he be locked as an RFA that was signed as to avoid FA?

18 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

So for clarification.....because he used a 3up AFTER 2018 FA started its technically a 2019 3up?

But then wouldn't he be locked as an RFA that was signed as to avoid FA?

You’re not obligated to tender him as an RFA. The other guys can go into detail about that.

2 minutes ago, pheltzbahr said:

I actually went back to the 2017 Sheet where he is listed as 686/2, so he was not an RFA in 2018.

Is this the rule that was used to resign him?

If a player is a free agent coming out of his BDL rookie contract and has signed a new deal IRL before the year of the 3up, then the owner has to pay 75% of the total IRL contract but end the contract the same year in BDL than IRL. For instance, player X has a BDL rookie contract from 2014 to 2019 at $2000 per year and signed a new deal IRL in 2018 at $10M per year for 6 years. You can either 3up him in 2018 at $7,500 per year for 6 years or in 2019 at $9,000 per year for 5 years. 

Seems like the last sentence amounts are reversed, but I'm so confused on this now it'll take Google maps to find my office chair that I'm sitting on atm.