Packers to Hire Titans OC Matt LaFleur as Head Coach

49erurtaza

Excited to have an intelligent, rejuvenated mind running this team and working with the offense. I'm really excited to see LaFleur work with the young talents of Aaron Jones, Davante Adams, Equinemous St Brown, Marquez Valdez-Scantling, J'Mon Moore and even a guy like Jimmy Graham. LOTS of untapped potential in that group! 

6 hours ago, topwop1 said:

So then are you one of the few Packer fans who think McCarthy was a good coach and shouldn't have been let go or did he just ride the coattails of Rodgers?

McCarthy was a good coach but the last couple of years his offense became stale and he lost the locker room (and I'm not just talking about his relationship with Rodgers).   I appreciate all he did but it was time to move on.  Most of us are excited about what LaFleur will bring and how the team will respond to him going forward.

21 hours ago, Ketchup said:

You conveniently left out this part of my post.. “Is it possible with his ego? Sure it is but let’s give it a season before condemning the situation.“ Obviously I don’t know him and obviously it’s possible he pushes back at a younger coach but let’s see it play out for a season before trashing Rodgers as this huge diva who can’t be coached anymore. 

I'm not trashing Rodgers as anything. Just pointing out the hypocrisy and absurdity in your post. I see no reason Rodgers won't thrive with LaFleur. 

21 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I'm not trashing Rodgers as anything. Just pointing out the hypocrisy and absurdity in your post. I see no reason Rodgers won't thrive with LaFleur. 

What absurdity? The poster was making an assumption passed off of a perception that Rodgers is now hard to coach. He may or may not be, my point is we don’t know. I don’t see how that’s absurd. 

4 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

What absurdity? The poster was making an assumption passed off of a perception that Rodgers is now hard to coach. He may or may not be, my point is we don’t know. I don’t see how that’s absurd. 

If that was your point, it certainly didn't come off that way. For what it's worth, I doubt Rodgers is hard to coach--just got to a "fed up" level with McCarthy. 

On 1/7/2019 at 3:21 PM, KingOfTheDot said:

Nah son he's from the Vrabel coaching tree

/sarc

The irony is, while people are quick to attribute him to McVay because McVay gave him his first pro OC gig, he's as much as branch off the Kyle Shannahan coaching tree (QB coach under Kyle in two different spots: Washington and Atlanta).  Arguably, I'd say Green Bay's personnel fits what I'd anticipate is the offense LaFleur would like to run.

12 hours ago, KingTitan said:

This is true. He is more of a Shanahan guy than McVay. I think McVay just liked him from when he was brought on in Washington. If you look into his background, he spent more time with Dad and Son Shanahan (ATL, Wash) than McVay. 

Or, McVay liked what LaFleur was able to do with Ryan (he definitely helped Ryan clean up some stuff that helped led to that MVP season) and was optimistic (and right) that he'd be able to do the same with Goff.

But otherwise, I agree with you... as my last post drove home.

Also, let's not pretend like all this started with McVay - he's just one of the more recent success cases.  Adam Gase is 1 year older than LaFleur, had similar credentials to LaFleur when hired by Miami, and - perhaps more to the point - was 37 when Miami made him their HC.  McDaniels was 32 when Denver made him their HC in 2009.  There were "young hires" before that.  This is far more a trend of the last 5-10 years than the last 2-3 years.

20 hours ago, Kiltman said:

Think expecting Rodgers to just make up his own Offense is kinda missing what's been wrong in GB all these years.
It's the problem sometimes with the playcalling and team around tremendously gifted QB talent.

The staff doesn't dial in and scheme fit, they leave everything open and gameplanning gets stale. Instead of focusing on 30 plays/variations mostly the whole playbook stays open and it's hard to find rhythm. Happened this year with Carson and the Eagles, little bit last year too. Saw it a lot with the Colts the last 20 years. You saw this year Reich schemed to Andrew Luck to tremendous results.

The reason the Eagles have stepped up when Foles game in the last two years is because the Defense knew it'd be more on them now and stepped up and the staff narrowed the playbook and got back to finding rhythm in drives. Green Bay has seemed to lack that for years.

I think a good scheme for Rodgers is one that focuses his amazing release and arm, build a running game and let him kill people with playaction. 
The bonus there is yea sometimes he can run it and extend plays. But that won't be every single play like it has seemed to have been for 6+ years.

There is some of that in Lafleur's background, if they can get a back and use him like the Rams do Gurley they can look even better than that offense looks in LA.
But we'll see...this was probably too soon for him, but worse looking hires have worked out.

I don't think @dtait93 was referring to Rodgers "making up his own offense" so much as Rodgers calling his own plays or having "final say" on the play in a similar manner in which we probably haven't fully seen since Peyton.  I'm not saying it's not capable of blowing up in their faces, but we could be looking at a scenario wherein LaFleur establishes a system as a whole (I'd be expecting something similar to the Shanahan WCO with maybe some tweaks to the blocking scheme) and gives Aaron plays in clusters, letting him call them from the line (and thus, I'd expect more hurry-up offense) based upon what he reads from the offense.

Now, I can't be sure, but I thought I remembered one of the Packers fans noting that Rodgers wasn't one often making pre-snap adjustments, so that would likely have to be something to change (at least a little) in order for this concept to succeed, but it's definitely doable.

Kinda weird.  I know it's not Cleveland, but i'd have thought the Packers HC job would be pretty attractive to some pretty qualified folks.

I kid mostly.  I'm surprised by it, and don't exactly see the reasoning there.  But who knows...maybe it's one of those situations where the people "in the know" see more than meets the eye there?  Somehow?  Somewhere?

5 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Kinda weird.  I know it's not Cleveland, but i'd have thought the Packers HC job would be pretty attractive to some pretty qualified folks.

I kid mostly.  I'm surprised by it, and don't exactly see the reasoning there.  But who knows...maybe it's one of those situations where the people "in the know" see more than meets the eye there?  Somehow?  Somewhere?

Probably.  Without being there in the interviews and without privately talking to those in the know we don't know much more than the media does!

Archived