Around The League V.2

Totty

24 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Nothing you've said gives any reason to believe Zay Jones can step into a bigger role and be productive. He hasn't ever shown that he can play well in our offense.

https://www.raiders.com/news/confidence-high-for-hard-working-zay-jones-stepping-up-in-the-offense

"We always talk about opportunity and it comes in a lot of different forms," said offensive coordinator Greg Olson. "This is an opportunity for Zay – not the opportunity he was looking for – but we always felt real strong about Zay Jones and his abilities as a receiver and his abilities to play the Z [receiver] position. He's had a very good week of practice, but he's had good weeks of practice in the past. If you were to talk to not only Derek, but the rest of the players on offense ... they have all the confidence in the world in Zay, and we do as well as the staff.

"Very thankful to have him and we're eager to see what he can do."

Like Coach Olson has stated, arguably no one could be more eager to see Jones step into the starting lineup more than his quarterback. Carr has sung the praises of No. 7 since Zay stepped into the Silver and Black uniform, forming a strong bond through their time on the field in game action and their ritual 6 a.m. offseason workouts.

"I've always thought the world of Isaiah. ... I think the common theme of when I talk about Zay is how hard he works," Carr said Wednesday afternoon. "I think you guys have seen at Training Camp and just the relentlessness he practices with and it's literally every day. He's the hardest practicing person I've ever seen in my life. I am excited for him.

"When he's made plays in the game, you guys hear how I talk about it after the game, I'm just so excited for him. Now he has a very big role, but roles change in the NFL quickly and his role has changed just along with some other guys whose roles are going to change."

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2021/aug/01/raiders-standouts-through-first-week-of-camp/

Bryan Edwards might have been the co-choice here before Tuesday’s practice when he dropped two passes, including one that turned into an interception. Jones seemingly hasn’t dropped any passes through two weeks, and it feels like he gets targeted about 50 times every day.   

It’s been somewhat of a surprise since Jones was on the fringes of the roster coming into camp, at least before Gruden gave him an unprovoked shoutout during his opening news conference.

“I don’t want anybody to forget Zay Jones,” Gruden said. “I don’t think we have a better conditioned athlete than Zay Jones.”

No one is forgetting about him now, as the veteran is running crisp routes, getting open and, again, catching everything in sight. Edwards and Henry Ruggs are almost surely still going to be the Week 1 starters, but with the way Jones is practicing, he’s also going to merit playing time.

Edited by Jeremy408
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Nothing you've said gives any reason to believe Zay Jones can step into a bigger role and be productive. He hasn't ever shown that he can play well in our offense.

How many snaps has Zay seen? Serious question. 

I would bet it isn't a lot. Hard to show you can produce when you're not on the field much. With Ruggs gone, I'm sure he'll get his shot (assuming his snap count isn't higher than I'm guessing). We will see

4 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I would bet it isn't a lot. Hard to show you can produce when you're not on the field much. With Ruggs gone, I'm sure he'll get his shot (assuming his snap count isn't higher than I'm guessing). We will see

Why couldn't he get snaps last year when Edwards was hurt and Ruggs wasn't producing?

41 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

https://www.raiders.com/news/confidence-high-for-hard-working-zay-jones-stepping-up-in-the-offense

"We always talk about opportunity and it comes in a lot of different forms," said offensive coordinator Greg Olson. "This is an opportunity for Zay – not the opportunity he was looking for – but we always felt real strong about Zay Jones and his abilities as a receiver and his abilities to play the Z [receiver] position. He's had a very good week of practice, but he's had good weeks of practice in the past. If you were to talk to not only Derek, but the rest of the players on offense ... they have all the confidence in the world in Zay, and we do as well as the staff.

"Very thankful to have him and we're eager to see what he can do."

Like Coach Olson has stated, arguably no one could be more eager to see Jones step into the starting lineup more than his quarterback. Carr has sung the praises of No. 7 since Zay stepped into the Silver and Black uniform, forming a strong bond through their time on the field in game action and their ritual 6 a.m. offseason workouts.

"I've always thought the world of Isaiah. ... I think the common theme of when I talk about Zay is how hard he works," Carr said Wednesday afternoon. "I think you guys have seen at Training Camp and just the relentlessness he practices with and it's literally every day. He's the hardest practicing person I've ever seen in my life. I am excited for him.

"When he's made plays in the game, you guys hear how I talk about it after the game, I'm just so excited for him. Now he has a very big role, but roles change in the NFL quickly and his role has changed just along with some other guys whose roles are going to change."

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2021/aug/01/raiders-standouts-through-first-week-of-camp/

Bryan Edwards might have been the co-choice here before Tuesday’s practice when he dropped two passes, including one that turned into an interception. Jones seemingly hasn’t dropped any passes through two weeks, and it feels like he gets targeted about 50 times every day.   

It’s been somewhat of a surprise since Jones was on the fringes of the roster coming into camp, at least before Gruden gave him an unprovoked shoutout during his opening news conference.

“I don’t want anybody to forget Zay Jones,” Gruden said. “I don’t think we have a better conditioned athlete than Zay Jones.”

No one is forgetting about him now, as the veteran is running crisp routes, getting open and, again, catching everything in sight. Edwards and Henry Ruggs are almost surely still going to be the Week 1 starters, but with the way Jones is practicing, he’s also going to merit playing time.

The coaches think so highly of him that he has barely played or been targeted in real games.

9 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I mean it's pretty simple: When you draft someone #12th overall over everyone at his position, he has to play(especially when the reason that you drafted him is because he brings a speed that nobody on the team has). You're not gonna play some guy that you spent a midround pick to get the year before over him.

^ Can we all stop for a second and think about how mad we would be as a fanbase if this happened?

Edited by Jeremy408
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

I mean it's pretty simple: When you draft someone #12th overall over everyone at his position, he has to play(especially when the reason that you drafted him is because he brings a speed that nobody on the team has). You're not gonna play some guy that you spent a midround pick to get the year before over him.

^ Can we all stop for a second and think about how mad we would be as a fanbase if this happened?

His first year he couldn't get consistent playing time when we had Trevor Davis, Hunter Renfrow, Keelan Doss, and Ateman. Last season Edwards hardly played for most of the year because he was hurt and Ruggs missed 3 games. Where was Zay Jones?

We played/targeted Nelson Agholor who we signed to a 1 yr/$1.5M deal more then Ruggs or Edwards though?

Edited by NYRaider

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

His first year he couldn't get consistent playing time when we had Trevor Davis, Hunter Renfrow, Keelan Doss, and Ateman. Last season Edwards hardly played for most of the year because he was hurt and Ruggs missed 3 games. Where was Zay Jones?

We played/targeted Nelson Agholor who we signed to a 1 yr/$1.5M deal more then Ruggs or Edwards though?

1 hour ago, Jeremy408 said:

Remember we traded Zay Jones midseason to learn one of the most dense offenses in the NFL According to players who have played in it. Plus I think I mentioned earlier that he's 26 now which means that he was 23 when he joined our team. That means that he still fairly young player and could've actually gotten better. Sure as heck looks better than he did in 2019 no one can argue that.

Just now, Jeremy408 said:

4th on the wr depth chart on a team with one of the best tight end in football. Not hard to imagine

You said imagine how the fanbase would feel if we played a guy we spent a mid-round pick on over Ruggs/Edwards... We literally signed Agholor to a veteran minimum contract and he played more and was targeted more then either guy. We just drafted Nate Hobbs in the 5th round and he has played more then former 1st round pick Damon Arnette. The best players find a way to make plays. Nelly had 0 expectations when we signed him but he came in, balled out, and made the most of it. Zay Jones has 40 receptions in 33 games, lol.

1 minute ago, Jeremy408 said:

So Zay Jones who we traded a pick for and had a year in the system with Carr got significantly less playing time then someone we signed to a vet minimum contract... Nelly literally came in during the worst off-season to acclimate to a new team and was our #1 WR, Zay Jones couldn't step up even while Ruggs/Edwards were hurt and missing games...

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

So Zay Jones who we traded a pick for and had a year in the system with Carr got significantly less playing time then someone we signed to a vet minimum contract... Nelly literally came in during the worst off-season to acclimate to a new team and was our #1 WR, Zay Jones couldn't step up even while Ruggs/Edwards were hurt and missing games...

The short answer is yes. The slightly long answer is Brian Edwards and ruggs were never missed a game at the same time.

(Keep in mind: Damon Arnette played with a cast at 175 pounds because he was a first round pick). So when ruggs plays with a bad hamstring and a knee injury, Zay Jones isn't going to play over him(especially when Justin Jefferson, who rugs was drafted over is rewriting the rookie receiver record).

Edited by Jeremy408

7 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Maybe you're right though @Jeremy408 we've had the young Jerry Rice in the wings for 3 years just waiting to unleash him it just took longer cause he was traded mid-season two years ago so he needed more time to learn the playbook. 

1 hour ago, Jeremy408 said:

I was waiting for you to take what I said and I contacts and then insinuate something that I didn't say. I was actually wondering when it was going to come lol

"lol"

Edited by Jeremy408

Just now, Jeremy408 said:

The short answer is yes the slightly long answer is Brian Edwards and ruggs were never missed a game at the same time.

(Keep in mind: Damon Arnette played with a cast at 175 pounds because he was a first round pick). So when ruggs plays with a bad hamstring and a knee injury, Zay Jones isn't going to play over him(especially when Justin Jefferson is rewriting the rookie receiver record)

In week 4 last season Zay Jones played 90% of our snaps and had 4 receptions for 32 yards. In week 14 he played 70% of our snaps and had 1 reception for 9 yards. During his first season with us he had 5 games where he played 100% of our offensive snaps and in those 5 games he had 12 catches for 108 yards.