Biggs: Donatell Interviewed, Pagano Interest

WindyCity

4 minutes ago, G08 said:

Donatell, correct. Anyone else, nope unless he is offering an assistant head coach title.

For example, Jay Rodgers is our DL coach, if Fangio offered him a DC position the Bears could block it since it's considered a lateral move in the NFL.

The assistant HC title is made up, it has no impact on getting out of contracts.

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

There is way too much talent on this team not to be top 10.

G08 and I could coordinate them into the top 10.

They won't be historic, they may not be #1, but they are going to be a top 5 defense. They return almost everyone and they are young.

I was going to say, I could take over for Amos and this would still be a top 10 defense. If we aren't a top 5 defense next season then something is seriously wrong. Obviously barring any big injuries 

34 minutes ago, Epyon said:

The flipside of that is looking at the 9ers downfall on defense after Fangio left....  The vast majority of the people who made pro bowls under him in SF never made a pro bowl again.  It's a rather large mistake to just dismiss the impact of the D-Cord vs Talent.... Hell...we still had much of our defense when Lovie got canned, and Mel Tucker drove us off a cliff within a single season.

Mel Tucker, fwiw, is also why I'm leary of a College coach coming in.... Mel is actually a really good college level DC, and he was positively atrocious at the NFL level.

I don't really have a personal favorite right now....Neither Donatell or Pagano is really moving the needle for me yet... and the only guy I'd trust schematically to do it is Rex Ryan, who I don't think is even a consideration (and for good reason... his antics/personality wouldn't mesh with our team culture at all.)..... I feel like gambling on an up and coming guy might be the best option here, but I don't have any good ideas on that front...and it likely won't matter anyhow, as Pace's post season presser is scheduled for Monday, and I'm quite positive we'll have Donatell or Pagano locked in by then without much time to look at many other options. I expect this to get wrapped up within a day or so.

I mentioned outside of a disastrous DC hire, but I think Fangio leaving SF was a lessor reason for their downfall.

He left along with Harbaugh after the 2014 season so SF replaced their HC and not just their DC and there are usually performance reasons when a HC is let go.

Fagio's 2013 defense was third in points. 2014 was 10th. Their offense in 2013 was 11th in scoring and in 2014 25th which doesn't do the defense any favors.

Their only pro bowl defender in 2014 as SS Bethea who was 30 years old. They had 5 in 2013. Bowman was their only pro bowler in 2015.

They fired Tomsula and his 5-11 record and brought in Chip Kelly and got a 2-14 record and another one year and out HC.

I like Fangio, but SF's defense was going over the cliff with or without him. Given our current young defensive talent, I still believe it will take a really bad DC hire to mess things up, albeit there may be growing pains as the defense acclimates to the new DC.

2 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

Steve Wilks is now off the table as well. If Pagano is gone, what exactly is Nagy doing?

It's obvious it's likely either going to be Donatell or Pagano at this point.  I think they are interviewing Pagano and then will make a decision before the weekend.

Archived