Mornhinweg Out as Offensive Coordinator, Roman In

coordinator0

Interesting to see the passing game coordinator role explicitly created - I'm a fan of that. He was Buffalo's QB coach these past 2 years but before that was with Andy Reid in KC for years as both an Assistant Head Coach and receivers coach, so he should hopefully bring some interesting/dynamic new concepts to the table. Also worked together with Harbaugh on Reid's staff in Philly. The fact that he's worked with Tyrod and Josh Allen in Buffalo should also be helpful in terms of thinking through packages for Lamar. 

So not a completely fresh face from college or anything, but a very solid hire if we were looking for someone with connections to Harbaugh. 

I mean, Kansas City's offense from 2013-16 wasn't anything spectacular largely because Alex Smith isn't anything spectacular. Similarly, Nathan Peterman sucks but I don't think anything Tyrod or a rookie Josh Allen did in Buffalo was below average relative to their ability, not that he's even gonna be a QB coach here. 

Biggest thing to me is that he's clearly a guy who was valued highly by Andy Reid to be with him for that long, and Reid's one of the best offensive coaches in the game. If this was an OC or DC hire there's probably be need for more scrutiny but in this case I think that proximity to better coaches is actually valuable. 

1 minute ago, berlin calling said:

can't be worse than Engram but will JH ever hire somebody he is not familiar with through earlier work. 

literally every coach in the nfl does this for every hire dude.

everyone coaches with everyone else in the nfl at some point man. it's an old boys club.

1 hour ago, berlin calling said:

can't be worse than Engram but will JH ever hire somebody he is not familiar with through earlier work. 

The couple of times to my knowledge he tried going outside of his bubble was with Kubiak and Trestman, right? Can anyone else think of other examples?

10 minutes ago, BigMountainGoat said:

Bills fans are delighted you took him. He was a disaster in Buffalo. One of the worst coaches in Western New York in a while.

The rave reviews are already pouring in!

7 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

The rave reviews are already pouring in!

Didn't Bills & Chargers fans come out to mock the Joe D'Alessandris hire too though?

That worked out fine. 

We were never going to hire some dynamic young stud. At least this cat spent some time under Reid. Also it's highly unlikely anyone will want to poach him, should we have a successful year. So that's a bonus.

I'll take a wait and see approach. Wink's performance surprised us in many ways last season. So I can give Culley a shot. 

4 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

With Wink going from literally the worst defense in the league at his last gig to the #1 overall defense in his first stint as a DC since then, I'll reserve any judgement until after next season.

This. Many of us were questioning the Wink hire - mostly with the approach "we couldn't find anyone better/hire Pagano?". Then the questioning about his philosophy happened.

After one season, it is clear he got more out of the same players than his predecessor, as well as making some substantial schematical changes during games to make the defense more efficient as well as making adjustments from game to game. Several commentators noticed the change from 3 man rush defense against Mahomes in a crucial ending of a game to a highly aggressive adjustment to end the season.

What might have limited Culley with Buffalo might not happen here.

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

Didn't Bills & Chargers fans come out to mock the Joe D'Alessandris hire too though?

Any Bills fan that did that is a fool. I miss Joe D so much.

As for Culley, no idea what to tell yeah. He seems to be a very intelligent and Allen certainly spoke highly of him. I do think that he and Roman should be a good support system for Jackson.  

It's not just Culley's time in Buffalo that worries me, it's also his time in KC. The WR production and development there during his time was....not good, to say the least. 3/4 years he coached there, the leading WR's were either Jamaal Charles or Travis Kelce. The other one on that list was Jeremy Maclin, who was acquired from Philadelphia. Otherwise, the best WR was Dwayne Bowe.

He may be able to bring over some concepts from Andy Reid's coaching tree to help in the passing game, but as far as his work with QB's and WR's - particularly with their development - I don't see much to write home about in the last 5 years. You can write off Nathan Peterman and how bad he was, but it's not like this guy made Josh Allen look good or anything, either.

Of course time will tell, especially after one season, but I don't think it's very fair to compare this guy to Wink.

I'm much more interested in Culley's role as the passing game coordinator. Yes, developing wide receivers is nice, but getting the right system in place takes precedence in my opinion. Then you know what kind of receivers to develop. It'd be nice to develop all of them, but if there's an easier path by getting guys in that already have the skills you're looking to utilize then I'dd take that.

One thing's for sure, the Ravens have had no mold/profile when it has come to drafting and developing receivers. Looking back over the last decade or so it's a pretty diverse group that doesn't have a ton of similarities or any kind of cohesiveness. I'd rather that change, and it starts with the system. Maybe the team will finally go all-in on their QB by surrounding him with the right tools to succeed. 

Archived