Raiders Defense

Rolni

13 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Pff Is not the end all be all but it does confirm what I seen with Key the last 8 games or so he was getting good pressure and just coming up short on sacks and had a couple erased by penalty. I do think if he can build on that we could get 5-7 sacks out of him this year.

13 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I'm not down on him like some are. He was just a rookie and he definitely looked better toward the end of the year. He needs a good strength coach and I think year 3 is when he'll really emerge.

People don't pay attention to how much better he looked down the stretch and only look at his sack total.

2 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Buckner went out of his way to say Key missed like 13 sacks last year haha. He's getting there but has to learn to finish.

Not to be a Debbie Downer but he has to gas him up. Its his job. Can't have your players lacking confidence. That aside, I'm hoping Key takes a step forward this year and eventually becomes at least a good situational pass rusher long term. He missed like a third of his tackle attempts 😂

21 minutes ago, Silver&Black88 said:

I'm hoping Key takes a step forward this year.

He will. People forget he was a raw 3rd round rookie who only played 8 games his final year at LSU. He was not meant to see so much action his rookie year. He came on strong late in the year though and showed some potential. 

I'm excited to see him progress.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

He will. People forget he was a raw 3rd round rookie who only played 8 games his final year at LSU. He was not meant to see so much action his rookie year. He came on strong late in the year though and showed some potential. 

I'm excited to see him progress.

Good points. Can’t argue. Let’s see how it goes.

17 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I'm not down on him like some are. He was just a rookie and he definitely looked better toward the end of the year. He needs a good strength coach and I think year 3 is when he'll really emerge.

People forget that Key missed a lot of time during his final season at LSU, was coming off of an injury, and a down year overall coming into the league. Hopefully, he'll be in better shape this season and the game slows down for him this year. We're going to need him to make a leap. 

• Like 1

We all thought Key would only see the field giving breathers to Mack and Irvin..Had Mack accepted our offer before the big money Donald got, forcing Mack's even higher....

Hurst and Hall saw the field more than first thought too. Parker shouldn't have dressed but actually had to start. All that experience will help these next two years. After that, 'contract seasons' and probably lose what we've developed. Can't wait to sign a starting QB?!? Carr looking cheap with how fast QB money is moving up...

I haven’t had a chance to talk to Key yet, and Paul Guenther danced around the question a little bit when I asked him. But Key doesn’t look bigger and I heard the staff was not pleased. We’ll see. Guenther said Key was lifting weights now, so I am sure we will get some more clarity this offseason.

^Vic

22 hours ago, raidr4life said:

Pff Is not the end all be all but it does confirm what I seen with Key the last 8 games or so he was getting good pressure and just coming up short on sacks and had a couple erased by penalty. I do think if he can build on that we could get 5-7 sacks out of him this year.

My issue with Key is the same issue I have with Ferrell.  They are good at what they due and well developed with their technique but neither has that explosive athleticism that allows them to transition their production from college to the pros.  Now that can be improved and sometimes blossom after being in a professional strength program.  I think that is why the team is upset with Key for not showing physical improvement.  I hope both can do it but sometimes players do not have the capacity or drive to do so.  Key might have motivation problems and Ferrell athletic limitations.  In college you can mask your deficiencies by being really good in other areas but in the pros you need to have the drive, technique, and athleticism.  There have been a lot of players in the league that always seemed to come up just a little short in their play because they lacked professional level proficiency in one of those categories.

15 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

They are good at what they due and well developed with their technique but neither has that explosive athleticism that allows them to transition their production from college to the pros. 

That's why I love the Crosby selection so much, he may even be my favorite pick of the draft tbh. He is so advanced with his technique and hand usage AND is explosive. It's just his strength which is severely lacking.

59 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

My issue with Key is the same issue I have with Ferrell.  They are good at what they due and well developed with their technique but neither has that explosive athleticism that allows them to transition their production from college to the pros.  Now that can be improved and sometimes blossom after being in a professional strength program.  I think that is why the team is upset with Key for not showing physical improvement.  I hope both can do it but sometimes players do not have the capacity or drive to do so.  Key might have motivation problems and Ferrell athletic limitations.  In college you can mask your deficiencies by being really good in other areas but in the pros you need to have the drive, technique, and athleticism.  There have been a lot of players in the league that always seemed to come up just a little short in their play because they lacked professional level proficiency in one of those categories.

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/report_raiders_werent_impressed_with_josh_allen/s1_14819_29119052

1 hour ago, raidr4life said:

Allen = Needs to learn to improve and hit the weight room for power.  Both easy if motivated.  Needs to work on easy coach able aspects.

Ferrell = Needs to to improve athleticism.  If he has room to improve he can be great but if he does not he will have a lot of pressures and very low sack numbers.  Needs to improve where it might not be possible.

This is why I see Ferrell as more of a risk than Allen.

Knowing now that Sweat dropped I personally take White at 4 and Sweat at 24.  It is not even close for me.  It would have been close but I still probably take White not knowing Sweat would drop.  I probably take Anthony Nelson as a mid rounder over Ferrell at 4.  I have to trust the team however I do not like the mind set that Allen is not good enough because he got pushed around sometimes.  These are college players and are going to have ups and downs.  We now have a couple athletic 3T and below average athletic edge players.

Edited by drfrey13