Raiders Defense

Rolni

34 minutes ago, Blazer026 said:

I just don’t get how we aren’t getting any pressure on the QB. You can blame Guenther for lack of blitzing, but they still should be able to create some pressure. Blows my mind 

Our defensive line took a major step back. We only have 4 sacks and 8 pressures in 144 drop backs by the opposing team. Meaning we get pressure or a sack like one in every 14 pass plays. 

2 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

It sounds dumb, but I'd want a guy like Pagano back. He did a lot of stuff with disguise and stunts that I really liked.

Otherwise, maybe we should try to poach someone from the 49ers/Ravens or another excellent defensive team?

In his brief time calling our defense, it actually looked like an NFL defense. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Haven’t had a good defense since the Gannon super bowl days. Haven’t even had an average defense since then. One of the most important moves in the offseason is to hire a brilliant defensive mind as DC. 

Edited by Humble_Beast

6 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

Haven’t had a good defense since the Gannon super bowl days. Haven’t even had an average defense since then. One of the most important moves in the offseason is to hire a brilliant defensive mind as DC. 

2000-2002 was the last time we've had a defense that allows less than 350 ypg and 21 ppg, while having 25+ takeaways and 40+ sacks. Which is essentially what you need from your defense to be a contender. 

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

2000-2002 was the last time we've had a defense that allows less than 350 ypg and 21 ppg, while having 25+ takeaways and 40+ sacks. Which is essentially what you need from your defense to be a contender. 

Exactly. We need to attack free agency DL like we did LBs last year. We need to bring in atleast 2 impact starters on that DL. Would let our LBs (Littleton/Kwit) and going DBs shine...cut the fat: Joyner, Williams, Gabe Or Brown: use that money on DL. Bring back Hankins or sign an upgrade. We spend money on our OL now time to invest in the DL

2021: 

DE: Free Agent 

NT: Hankins or clear upgrade 

UT: Free Agent 

DE: Ferrell/Mad Max - let them battle it out. Hoping they step up over the course of this year but Ferrell seems like a run stuffer and Max might just be a situational pass rusher. 

Just now, Humble_Beast said:

Exactly. We need to attack free agency DL like we did LBs last year. We need to bring in atleast 2 impact starters on that DL. 

It's just tough because there aren't a ton of top end FA defensive linemen this year. 

DT: Cameron Heyward, Larry Ogunjobi, Leonard Williams

Edge: Shaq Barrett, Bud Dupree, Matt Judon, Justin Houston, Vic Beasley 

21 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

It's just tough because there aren't a ton of top end FA defensive linemen this year. 

DT: Cameron Heyward, Larry Ogunjobi, Leonard Williams

Edge: Shaq Barrett, Bud Dupree, Matt Judon, Justin Houston, Vic Beasley 

Any trade targets? I always wanted Big Kat, but I don’t think he will hit the market. Didn’t Clowney sign a one year deal? 

DL- To me we need to sign 2 starting DL stuck with Nassib as depth. Hurst, Ferrell, Key- all backups. Maybe sign another vet or two for better depth. But not the first days of free agency, that’s when you have to overpay. I seriously would invest the first two picks on DL, obviously the unit is the weak link of the team. Could also find a backup NT day 2 or 3.  

LB- Kwit, and Littleton should be okay. McMillen hopefully earns a new deal. We have zero depth. Shouldnt break the bank, but need like 2 vet backups. Morrow going be a free agent and is just a depth piece. We need two NFL caliber players for depth. I could also see a Day 2 pick used to sure up depth and to develop. I wouldn’t count on Muse to make a jump. 

CB- fine for right now. We already spent a lot on this unit, need to develop our talent. 

FS: also want to sign a stud FS. Would also draft a nice developmental safety In day 2or 3. A lot of the good teams have 3 good safeties, plus it allows for different packages. 

SS: Abram is fine but man looks injury prone. I haven’t noticed Heath enough judge him. My friends that are in Dallas, actually say he is solid. One of Harris/Health should be let go, we need some new blood. I know Harris is a fan favorite but the guy is barely a NFL player in my eyes. 

our course the most important thing: hire a great mind to call the defensive plays. 

Edited by Humble_Beast

Any trade targets? I always wanted Big Kat, but I don’t think he will hit the market. Didn’t Clowney sign a one year deal? 
To me we need to sign 2 starting DL stuck with Nassib as depth. Hurst, Ferrell, Key- all backups. Maybe sign another vet or two For depth. But not the first days of free agency, that’s when you have to overpay. Could find a backup NT day 2 or 3.  

I'd probably go with something like...

• Justin Simmons - 4 yr/$56M 

• Matt Judon - 3 yr/$42M

• Resign Johnathan Hankins - 2 yr/$8M

• Draft Christian Barmore in the 1st round 

• Draft Corey Durden in the 3rd round 

Defensive line rotation

DE - Crosby | Nassib 

DT - Hankins | Durden

DT - Barmore | Hurst

DE - Judon | Ferrell 

54 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I'd probably go with something like...

• Justin Simmons - 4 yr/$56M 

• Matt Judon - 3 yr/$42M

• Resign Johnathan Hankins - 2 yr/$8M

• Draft Christian Barmore in the 1st round 

• Draft Corey Durden in the 3rd round 

Defensive line rotation

DE - Crosby | Nassib 

DT - Hankins | Durden

DT - Barmore | Hurst

DE - Judon | Ferrell 

Looks solid, what would you spend that 2nd round pick? Not WR right? A guy I like in free agency who wouldn’t break the bank would be John Ross. Ross and Ruggs would be scary on the field, like Hardman and Tyreke. I think he can shine in an new environment like Nelly. The wideout core of Ruggs, Agholor, Edwards, Ross, Renfrow would be nice. 

Looks solid, what would you spend that 2nd round pick? Not WR right? A guy I like in free agency who wouldn’t break the bank would be John Ross. Ross and Ruggs would be scary on the field, like Hardman and Tyreke. I think he can shine in an new environment like Nelly. The wideout core of Ruggs, Agholor, Edwards, Ross, Renfrow would be nice. 

With the second round pick I'd probably target Daniel Faalele, OT out of Minnesota. Even if we bring Brown back it'd be nice to have some quality depth behind him and he can replace him in either 2022 or 2023. If Miller were to go down we could also slide Brown back to LT and insert Faalele at RT. 

Looking a little at free agency. I want the Raiders to focus on defense. The free agent WR class is so loaded, I think we sign A big name. Then sign Ross and Nelly. Screw it, be loaded with weapons. Also would sign Brandon Scherff, seems like a Gruden type of guy to start at RG. I’m assuming Trent Brown gets it together. 

so free agency first wave 

- B Scherff RG

- Allen Robinson/Kenny G/Juju/ Corey Davis 

- Free Safety like Simmons 

- Judon or someone who is a stud Edge 

- John Ross- gadget player who Gruden would love 

- Nelly- screw it, load up on explosive athletes and weapons. Injuries happen. More weapons, better chance DC and Jacobs can shine. If they shine, we win

Draft 

1- DT- I like that Bama Big man too

2- LB or S - go BPA- defense needs an infusion of talent 

3- I think we can get a stud NT here too... 

Day 3- go BPA, ideally add defensive talent. Our depth sucks on defense minus corner. Maybe one of those picks on RB, but don’t waste an asset drafting a RB early after using a 1st on Jacobs. There are nice backs on day 3, if you know how to draft. Just look at James Robinson. Plus Booker isn’t bad. Honestly think we are one offseason  away. I think we can rework Gabe Jackson contract and trade him off for a day 3 pick. Load up on assets so we can build up the defense. Starting lineman are tough to come by, so Gabe prolly has Atleast day 3 value. That would give us a lot of Day 3 picks to work on our depth. 

Second wave of free agency- 

2 DL- push Key possibly out, push the rookies too. I’m all for keeping 10 DL. Keep the big men fresh. I’m all about the trenches. Vets like Benson Mayowa

2 LB- morrow might be out as a free agent. We have no other depth. Idk if I could count on day 3 picks. Would be ideal to sign a couple guys like Nelly but on defense. Muse might be a bust 

Booker- I’m for bringing Booker back, but  might be able to find a cheap upgrade. RB aren’t as valued 

Safety- seems like their is always a bunch of guys in free agency at this position. Wouldn’t be hard to find a cheap vet for depth 

bring back Hankins and Good. Important trench players. 

Plus we need to get a real DC, I said this many times. Lol 

13 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

With the second round pick I'd probably target Daniel Faalele, OT out of Minnesota. Even if we bring Brown back it'd be nice to have some quality depth behind him and he can replace him in either 2022 or 2023. If Miller were to go down we could also slide Brown back to LT and insert Faalele at RT. 

True, Tackle would be wise even if Brown is back in 2021. I’m all about the trenches... Sam Young is likely a one year pickup, and Brandon Parker is iffy.  

5 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

True, Tackle would be wise even if Brown is back in 2021. I’m all about the trenches... Sam Young is likely a one year pickup, and Brandon Parker is iffy.  

I'd consider going OG early as well especially if Incognito retires. Good is okay but he's more of a depth piece, I wasn't impressed with Simpson in limited action this year, and Jackson has been disappointing as well. 

6 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I'd consider going OG early as well especially if Incognito retires. Good is okay but he's more of a depth piece, I wasn't impressed with Simpson in limited action this year, and Jackson has been disappointing as well. 

I’m hoping Simpson is LG of the future. I really liked him during the draft process and felt like he would have been a solid 3rd rounder. We traded up for him in the 4th. Hoping Gruden can find one of his vets that he loves for RG. Our defense needs more speed, athletes, etc. Could find guards in free agency

Edited by Humble_Beast