Raiders Defense

Rolni

3 questions.

Did guenther basically save his job in the 2nd half? 

Will heath be starting in front of harris going forward. 

Ferrell probably had his best game and alot of it seem to come from inside. Do he take some of Collins snaps when hurst get back? 

6 minutes ago, dante9876 said:

3 questions.

Ferrell probably had his best game and alot of it seem to come from inside. Do he take some of Collins snaps when hurst get back? 

You think so? I confused ferrell a few times with datone/chris smith in real time but I thought he had some nice rushes outside.

I really want Datone Jones and Chris Smith to get more reps. They both flashed I thought.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dante9876 said:

3 questions.

I think it’s stupid to play try and turn Ferrell into a DT.... rushing him on the inside occasionally is one thing, and something I’m all for, but he needs to be kept at DE.

heath should be the starter.... really always should have been.

8 minutes ago, dante9876 said:

3 questions.

Guenther without a doubt saved his job in the second half today. Crosby said the game plan was to use repetitive coverages and pressures in the first half and then switch it up in the second half to throw Mahomes off and it definitely worked. 

At this point what do we have to lose starting Heath over Harris? Harris is probably the worst starting safety in the league. My only concern is that Heath is pretty similar to Abram as a box safety with limited range. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Guenther without a doubt saved his job in the second half today. Crosby said the game plan was to use repetitive coverages and pressures in the first half and then switch it up in the second half to throw Mahomes off and it definitely worked. 

At this point what do we have to lose starting Heath over Harris? Harris is probably the worst starting safety in the league. My only concern is that Heath is pretty similar to Abram as a box safety with limited range. 

From what I saw from heath, he's this weird player where he can't cover at all in man, but has a lot of speed deep as a FS and also the tackling ability of a SS. Depending on how you look at it, that could be a good thing.

Harris excels as a 3rd safety when he has intermediate responsibilities. When you put him at true free safety, he just lacks the big time athleticism and instincts to be that dude.

H think the solution here is to play dime (3 safety looks) on some passing downs with Harris

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

From what I saw from heath, he's this weird player where he can't cover at all in man, but has a lot of speed deep as a FS and also the tackling ability of a SS. Depending on how you look at it, that could be a good thing.

Harris excels as a 3rd safety when he has intermediate responsibilities. When you put him at true free safety, he just lacks the big time athleticism and instincts to be that dude.

H think the solution here is to play dime (3 safety looks) on some passing downs with Harris

Yeah, Harris is solid depth but he has no business starting at FS. Have to wonder why we didn't just bring back Karl Joseph on a 1 yr/$2.5M deal like he got with the Browns over signing Harris to a 2 yr/$5.5M deal. 

I wish we would've addressed FS earlier in free agency but Simmons and Harris both getting tagged dried the market up pretty quickly. Simmons was supposedly one of our top targets. 

And Grudock was apparently cautious about drafting another safety early and rolling into the season with essentially two rookie safeties starting. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Yeah, Harris is solid depth but he has no business starting at FS. Have to wonder why we didn't just bring back Karl Joseph on a 1 yr/$2.5M deal like he got with the Browns over signing Harris to a 2 yr/$5.5M deal. 

I wish we would've addressed FS earlier in free agency but Simmons and Harris both getting tagged dried the market up pretty quickly. Simmons was supposedly one of our top targets. 

And Grudock was apparently cautious about drafting another safety early and rolling into the season with essentially two rookie safeties starting. 

I think they go hard after a safety in FA or the draft.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I think they go hard after a safety in FA or the draft.

It definitely has to be at the top of our priorities as well as finding a legit pass rushing DT. I'd love to steal Justin Simmons from the Broncos but I doubt they let him leave. Anthony Harris should be available in free agency though.

I really don’t think this defense is THAT far off from being an asset not a liability.  We just need to replace 2-3 liabilities with play makers.

If we just bring in a very solid DT and FS and then add a “starting “ SAM LB and 1 Veteran CB and a speed pass rusher.... then we could have a top 15 D.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

I really don’t think this defense is THAT far off from being an asset not a liability.  We just need to replace 2-3 liabilities with play makers.

If we just bring in a very solid DT and FS and then add a “starting “ SAM LB and 1 Veteran CB and a speed pass rusher.... then we could have a top 15 D.

I still think we have a long way to go defensively. They definitely played really well in the 2nd half today but we still gave up 32 points and over 400 yards. And on the season have given up 400 yards 3/5 games and 30+ points in 4/5 games. 

• Like 1

I think it's also safe to start calling Ferrell a bust. There were 14 edge players drafted in the top 10 between 2010-2019 and the 8 of them that have gone on to have good careers were all double digit sack guys within their first two seasons. (Aldon, Von, Mack, Beasley, Bosa x2, Garrett, Allen) 

While 6 of them weren't (Jordan, Mingo, Fowler, Williams, Thomas, and Ferrell) and outside of Fowler who has had one double digit sack season none of them have ever become elite or consistent pass rushers. 

Browsing through recent Super Bowl winners and a few things caught my attention: 

• The last 7 winners ranked in the top 10 in scoring defense. 

• 10 of the last 15 winners ranked in the top 10 in scoring defense. (Exceptions - '12 Ravens, '11 Giants, '09 Saints, '07 Giants, '06 Colts)

• Of the 5 that didn't have a top 10 scoring defense, 4 of them (Ravens, Giants x2, Saints) were elite at forcing turnovers and/or getting after the QB. 

• The only team that has won a Super Bowl without a top 10 scoring defense, elite pass rush, or being elite at generating takeaways was the 2006 Colts and they had one of the best offenses in history. 

• On average the last 7 Super Bowl winners have given up 18.0 ppg while also averaging 40 sacks and 28 takeaways per year. '