Raiders Defense

Rolni

1 hour ago, Jerry said:

I know you want a lot of in-depth information, but everyone can recall us getting strip sacks and INTs practically every single game.  Mack closed out a couple of those games for us.  Somehow old man Reggie Nelson had 5 INTs that season.  Bruce Irvin was playing at his best and also had a fair amount of sacks and forced fumbles.  Who doesn't remember the Mack INT of Cam Newton returned for a TD.  Our defense gave up points, but they also forced a couple turnovers every single game.  It was amazing....

Our defense doesn't even have a Bruce Irvin, let alone a Khalil Mack.  It's hot garbage.

Our defense wasn’t  really that good in 2016, a lot of shoot outs. Mack was dominate but wasn’t getting much help. He did come up with clutch sacks/ stripes in the 4th quarters to help us win. 

Edited by Humble_Beast

32 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

Our defense wasn’t  really that good in 2016, a lot of shoot outs. Mack was dominate but wasn’t getting much help. He did come up with clutch sacks/ stripes in the 4th quarters to help us win. 

They were good.  They were bad at giving up points but awesome at getting turnovers.  I would kill for a defense that gets INTs and strip sacks.  We don't seem to do much of either these days.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jerry said:

They were good.  They were bad at giving up points but awesome at getting turnovers.  I would kill for a defense that gets INTs and strip sacks.  We don't seem to do much of either these days.

Which goes to show that PPG and YPG are not the be all, end all for stats. They are important but I'd take a D that gives up a ton of yards if they create pressure on the QB, has a good 3rd down stop rate and cause turnovers often.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Darbsk said:

What was the 2016 defence like in terms of YPG, PPG, takeaways and sacks? 

Also, thanks for posting the huge and comprehensive number of stats.......  really informative when put into context 👍

2016 Defense

YPG - 375 (26th)

PPG - 24.1 (20th)

Sacks - 25 (32nd)

Takeaways - 30 (2nd)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Which goes to show that PPG and YPG are not the be all, end all for stats. They are important but I'd take a D that gives up a ton of yards if they create pressure on the QB, has a good 3rd down stop rate and cause turnovers often.

If your defense isn't good it needs to at least be opportunistic and be able to create turnovers and pressure the QB. The only two teams we've seen win a Super Bowl recently with a defense that ranked near the bottom of the league in PPG and YPG were the 2009 Saints and 2011 Giants. And the Saints were an above average pass rushing team but forced like 40 turnovers and the Giants were an elite pass rushing team and also near the top of the league in takeaways. 

5 minutes ago, dante9876 said:

So you saying carr best year at qb was kinda fluky. Interesting. 

It was flukey. We had won 75% of our games that the opposing team scored 30 or more, something that Tom Brady, Russell Wilson, and Aaron Rodgers have never done in their career. 

Yeah 2016's overall D performance wasn't all that great. Mack WAS the D for the most part. 

They excelled at creating turnovers though. 

The difference I see, looking back, was that they weren't necessarily "good", but they were at least competent. Competence can lead to turnovers or key 3rd down stops. Right now, we're not really playing defense so much as acting like some speed bumbs. 

I'd say 2020's offense is probably better than 2016's. Just shows how close we are to being a fairly dangerous team if our D was even just sub-par instead of downright laughable. 

It's why Harris' consistently bad play and the complete lack of pass rush hurts so much to watch. Abram was frustrating to watch against NE and I'm getting tired of him hurting himself, but he's still a good player when healthy. Our CBs, when lined up in coverage that's sensible (ie: not 10 yards deep on 3rd and 2) have held up ok-ish. The LBs have been hit and miss, but Kwit and even Littleton have been what I'd call adequate enough given the context. Harris, Ferrell, and Collins in particular have been absolutely useless to the point of holding the D back. Heck, most of the D-line really. 2016 shows how as long as you have 1 or 2 tone setters, you can find at least menial success so long as individual players aren't objectively bad. Kwit, Mullen, and Abram all help set the tone enough that if we didn't have a few individuals who just suck, we'd probably be in a similar situation. I loved Mack, bit he was just 1 guy. We've got 3 stud-like players, but half of our defenders really shouldn't be on the field. The lack of virtually everything a d-line is there for and Harris' consistently bad play are back breakers. We aren't great on that side of the ball by any means, but the issues are seemingly constantly arising from the same players game after game.

Oh, and Guenther sucks. That's a big part too.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

The lack of virtually everything a d-line is there for and Harris' consistently bad play are back breakers. We aren't great on that side of the ball by any means, but the issues are seemingly constantly arising from the same players game after game.

Oh, and Guenther sucks. That's a big part too.

Us not looking to upgrade at FS was still such a strange move. Harris sucks. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dante9876 said:

So you saying carr best year at qb was kinda fluky. Interesting. 

I dont think he's saying that at all. If anything the D was flukey with the amount of turnovers we created and the differential but you could just as easily read into it anything you wanted to support your position. Maybe Carr raised the level of play around him and overcame adversity which a lot if guys think he cannot....... Probably the most logical explanation is we had some good fortune, good play, kept turnovers on offense minimal and our D for once created turnovers and made timely big plays.