Raiders Defense

Rolni

2 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Dare I say the defense died when Al Davis died

I hadn't thought of it like that, even in our bad B&B offence years we had a decent D if I recall. Didn’t we have something like Seymour and Kelly at DT and Des Bryant and Houston at DE which was a strong line when Al was last patrolling the sidelines?

8 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

I hadn't thought of it like that, even in our bad B&B offence years we had a decent D if I recall. Didn’t we have something like Seymour and Kelly at DT and Des Bryant and Houston at DE which was a strong line when Al was last patrolling the sidelines?

Yup Al invested in the defense Seymour trade was well worth it also

13 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Dare I say the defense died when Al Davis died

The defense hasn't been good since the early 2000's Superbowl run. Since then, the amount of draft misses on defense is truly remarkable. 

Outside Nnamdi, Mack and now Crosby this team has failed to draft a franchise level defensive players. That is why the defense never turns a corner. You can't have a good defense if you can't draft good talent.  

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

The defense hasn't been good since the early 2000's Superbowl run. Since then, the amount of draft misses on defense is truly remarkable. 

Outside Nnamdi, Mack and now Crosby this team has failed to draft a franchise level defensive players. That is why the defense never turns a corner. You can't have a good defense if you can't draft good talent.  

Or you make a trade for guys like Seymour if you can’t find a stud dt in the draft

gotta invest in the defense not just via the draft

for all the trash we talk about Al drafting. grudock made Al look like a genius 

meh I’d kill for a tommy Kelly or Thomas Howard rip right about now

Edited by NCOUGHMAN
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Or you make a trade for guys like Seymour if you can’t find a stud dt in the draft

gotta invest in the defense not just via the draft

for all the trash we talk about Al drafting. grudock made Al look like a genius 

meh I’d kill for a tommy Kelly or Thomas Howard rip right about now

Is there guys like Seymour you can trade for currently? That trade didn't pay off mind you. They won nothing and voided his contract after 4 seasons. 

22 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Is there guys like Seymour you can trade for currently? That trade didn't pay off mind you. They won nothing and voided his contract after 4 seasons. 

Seymour was arguably the best dt we’ve had in the last 20 years. Solidified the dline. Well worth the #17th pick imo.

if you have guys in the f/o who care about the defense you can always find a trade partner and imo defensive guys won’t cost multiple firsts/ picks

1 hour ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Seymour was arguably the best dt we’ve had in the last 20 years. Solidified the dline. Well worth the #17th pick imo.

if you have guys in the f/o who care about the defense you can always find a trade partner and imo defensive guys won’t cost multiple firsts/ picks

What did it amount to? Because it wasn't wins.

1 minute ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

20 sacks in 50 games iirc for Seymour with us yea that was worth the #17 pick imo

Wow, was it that many? That’s good, plus I think he probably had a positive influence on the other line guys like Kelly. There’s kind of a hidden skill for some vet players in that they can help others improve and improve the IQ of the whole unit. It’s sad but we’d have probably drafted a bust anyway so probably worth the 17th pick on isolation.

9 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

What's that matter? They traded the 17th overall pick for basically 3 seasons in which they did nothing. 

Means nothing as the defense wasn’t much better with him. He spent his declining years with us. It was Al Davis last big trade after us bombing on McLain, DHB and Jamarcus 1st round picks. McFadden wasn’t a bust but didn’t live up to #4