Raiders Defense

Rolni

13 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Des Bryant, Tommy Kelly and LaMarr Houston I believe. Always thought Bryant was very good.

Anyone remember Sam Williams? The Al Davis scholarship player. Each side had one player this would never be cut. Alvis Whitted another name

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Wow, was it that many? That’s good, plus I think he probably had a positive influence on the other line guys like Kelly. There’s kind of a hidden skill for some vet players in that they can help others improve and improve the IQ of the whole unit. It’s sad but we’d have probably drafted a bust anyway so probably worth the 17th pick on isolation.

Exactly and the trade produced immediate production not just individually but across the defense. Which also translated to a better record than the year before 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Older Gerald warren too

Gerard Warren former top 3 pick from the expansion Browns. He was ok didn’t live up to the draft status. He’s equal to Jerry Tillery we have now. Former 1st rounder now as a spot starter/rotational guy that flashes here and there

1 hour ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Exactly and the trade produced immediate production not just individually but across the defense. Which also translated to a better record than the year before 

It didn't. They were 5-11 before and 5-11 the year they traded for Seymour. 

2008 - 24th points / 27th in yards

Trade for Seymour:

2009 - 23/26

2010 - 20/11

2011 - 29/29

And 2010 was the Hue Jackson / Campbell year in which they were 6th in points on offense and 10th in yards.

7 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

It didn't. They were 5-11 before and 5-11 the year they traded for Seymour. 

2008 - 24th points / 27th in yards

Trade for Seymour:

2009 - 23/26

2010 - 20/11

2011 - 29/29

And 2010 was the Hue Jackson / Campbell year in which they were 6th in points on offense and 10th in yards.

Thought we went from 5-11 to 8-8

meh

still better than 10-7 to what 6-11

• 3 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

Epps has been the best safety against the run in the NFL the last two seasons 

Great read, thanks for posting!

Im almost convinced, whilst I think our defensive backs have improved and we have some very nice depth, I think they (the linked article) place too much value on PFF stats plus I think even if we have improved the defensive backfield markedly, they could be nullified if our DLine is in shambles again.

I really, really hope we have another pass rusher opposite Crosby this year and one of the DTs can rise up out of the abyss.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

Im almost convinced, whilst I think our defensive backs have improved and we have some very nice depth, I think they (the linked article) place too much value on PFF stats plus I think even if we have improved the defensive backfield markedly, they could be nullified if our DLine is in shambles again.

I really, really hope we have another pass rusher opposite Crosby this year and one of the DTs can rise up out of the abyss.

I always say the lbs are the guts of the defense or the trunk of the defense. You can just body shot us to death. 

• Like 1

On 7/17/2023 at 8:30 AM, big_palooka said:

Is there guys like Seymour you can trade for currently? That trade didn't pay off mind you. They won nothing and voided his contract after 4 seasons. 

I agree and that was exactly my point when they traded for him in 2009.  He was a good player with NE but the Raiders were no where near contention and Seymour was getting up there in age  You don't trade 1st rounders for a player that isn't going to make you a contender.  Davis at the end of his career was totally lost and made some terrible draft picks/ FA signings.  Sadly nothing has changed much since his passing.

I remember Seymour also didn't report for days and there were rumors that he wanted nothing to do with the team because it was such trash.  The money eventually got him to report but he was on some terrible teams. 

I'll never forget when he punched Big Ben.  The highlight of his time in Oakland lol 

Edited by Frankie2Gunz
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Darbsk said:

I think this Defense could be surprisingly good, but could be just as bad as most people think based on last year.

I think the difference will be the DT play.

If our DTs can hold the LOS and play solid, then our DEs can eat, our DBs can make plays and our LB unit can look like an average NFL unit.

If our DTs suck, the hole D will go down with them, since the rest is not elite to mask a weak interior. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

We might play 3 safety with pola mao in the box to offset this a little bit. 

He hasn’t really played so I don’t know how it’s gonna work. Just thinking about the kelse and ecklers just carving us up in the middle