Raiders Defense

Rolni

7 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

We might play 3 safety with pola mao in the box to offset this a little bit. 

Pretty sure that’s the plan with 3 safeties, we played it a lot last year and we’ve picked up Smith and Epps. Pola-Mao’s development will be interesting. 

• Like 3

I tell you what I was thinking today, that even though he went off the rails a bit later in life old man Al Davis was always right……….

If you can get pressure from the front 4 with minimal blitzing and play aggressive man coverage with a couple intimidators in the middle that works in any era. You just need the right players. He was always right, just needed to draft better.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Darbsk said:

I tell you what I was thinking today, that even though he went off the rails a bit later in life old man Al Davis was always right……….

If you can get pressure from the front 4 with minimal blitzing and play aggressive man coverage with a couple intimidators in the middle that works in any era. You just need the right players. He was always right, just needed to draft better.

Al bucked all trends and became a trend setter. We’re just tryna be copycats nowadays and failing miserably 

Like I said over the offseason, this DL lacks top end talent outside of Crosby but I love the depth. 

I wonder how the DL rotation looks when the roster is cut down to 53. Any guesses?

Mine: 

DE - Crosby / Wilson 

DT - Nichols / NFJ / Nesta 

DT - Tillery / A. Butler / Young

DE - Jones / Koonce 

21 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Like I said over the offseason, this DL lacks top end talent outside of Crosby but I love the depth. 

I wonder how the DL rotation looks when the roster is cut down to 53. Any guesses?

Mine: 

DE - Crosby / Wilson 

DE - Jones / Koonce 

It’s looking like the Wilson draft pick is a luxury . Imagine Willis will make the team. 

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Mine: 

DE - Crosby / Wilson 

DE - Jones / Koonce 

It’s still early of course and we didn’t see Nicholls or Tillery but Farrell and M Butler looked better. Silvera showed real promise I think and there were flashes from Jenkins and Adam Butler.

Outside, Willis looked like a solid vet and he probably makes the roster with Crosby, Jones and Wilson. I feel like they’ll cut Koonce.

Maybe if Farrell comes on strong they’ll cut Jenkins as I think he’s there in case the young guys are not quite ready. I’d think Silvera would get picked up though if we try and stash him on the PS. Young we’ll keep as he’s our 3rd round pick but someone is going to miss out inside.

I think we’ll need to see the next preseason game to see who out of Silvera, Farrell, Jenkins, Butler & Butler joins Young, Tillery and Nicholls who are likely inked in.

14 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

It’s still early of course and we didn’t see Nicholls or Tillery but Farrell and M Butler looked better. Silvera showed real promise I think and there were flashes from Jenkins and Adam Butler.

Outside, Willis looked like a solid vet and he probably makes the roster with Crosby, Jones and Wilson. I feel like they’ll cut Koonce.

Maybe if Farrell comes on strong they’ll cut Jenkins as I think he’s there in case the young guys are not quite ready. I’d think Silvera would get picked up though if we try and stash him on the PS. Young we’ll keep as he’s our 3rd round pick but someone is going to miss out inside.

I think we’ll need to see the next preseason game to see who out of Silvera, Farrell, Jenkins, Butler & Butler joins Young, Tillery and Nicholls who are likely inked in.

I’m on similar lines tbh, I can see Koonce being cut, Willis might have done enough to beat him out. Jenkins might be one of those vets you cut late and sign him week 2 to avoid guaranteeing his whole salary. 

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Mine: 

DE - Crosby / Wilson 

DE - Jones / Koonce 

I think NFJ starts and Tillery is a situational pass rusher. Wilson may start on PUP and Willis will slot in as a backup. Rochelle and Plant are making a case. I think we have a really good DL if we had a second star. Wilson does have that potential. Carter would have been too sweet.

Edited by Humble_Beast

1 hour ago, Rolni said:

First time since I remember that we have a deep DL, where the guys we cut, should be able to find 53 roster spots easily...

My question is, we have a lot of guys and they all look decent initially and able to potentially make a roster, but are any of them actual impact starters or do we have a bunch of DT3 or rotation DT types? I want to see the same kind of disruption against the Rams too before we get too high on any of them.

3 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

My question is, we have a lot of guys and they all look decent initially and able to potentially make a roster, but are any of them actual impact starters or do we have a bunch of DT3 or rotation DT types? I want to see the same kind of disruption against the Rams too before we get too high on any of them.

Yeah agreed, let’s see how they perform in a few games first. Without star talent we need depth but they have to be decent depth. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

Yeah, totally valid point!

I don't want to crown them prematurely, but it just feels too good right now after the TC reports and then this preseason game :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...