Raiders Defense

Rolni

18 minutes ago, 101Raider said:

Missing is one thing, at least it keeps the defense honest (though Carr was actually pretty accurate deep). My kid plays qb on her flag football team with all boys, I have her on the very first play launch it deep (she does have a cannon) fully knowing that it likely won't be caught by her teammates. Makes everything else a billion times easier for her throughout the game.  

Not being able to throw it deep at all is a HUGE problem.

I agree. I mentioned that in another thread. At least Carr arm strength kept teams honest so they can’t key in on the run and play tight coverage. Carr is no Josh Allen but Jimmy got a weakest arm in the NFL

. Jimmy can’t stretch the field. Pass 20 yards are ducks. His arm is considerably weaker than a few seasons ago and that’s saying something! . He’s over the hill

Aidan can take this job and run with it

• Like 6

I just had a horrible thought. What if we gave up our 1st for a DT like Jones?!? An older player that's needed and about to get PAID!!! Would still be a top 10 maybe top 5 pick. YIKES!!! Now my focus will be to NOT trade future picks before the deadline. If we keep current staff and don't want to draft a QB then trade picks for high 2025 draft picks for the new coach. lol

59 minutes ago, G said:

I just had a horrible thought. What if we gave up our 1st for a DT like Jones?!? An older player that's needed and about to get PAID!!! Would still be a top 10 maybe top 5 pick. YIKES!!! Now my focus will be to NOT trade future picks before the deadline. If we keep current staff and don't want to draft a QB then trade picks for high 2025 draft picks for the new coach. lol

I'd be terribly against that. We need to find a franchise QB, and need to spend our first doing it if we're drafting in the top 3-8

• Like 2

On 9/27/2023 at 4:36 PM, RaiderX said:

Spillane misses tackles, but has a nose for the ball.  Deablo having an awakening after a bad rookie year. TE went right by him fir the TD on Sunday night tho.

To be fair, I think Spillane and Deablo have been pretty decent but it’s hard to play LB when DTs are getting marched into your lap and there’s little to no pass rush. We’re never going to get great LB play until we get good DT play in front of them imo. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RaiderX said:

Encouraging stuff. Long Jr looked good out there and Wilson is starting to show on tape now. Just need to the offense to wake up.

Whilst it’s positive and the stats look good I wouldn’t say it’s ‘magnificent’ if I’m honest. Far to many missed tackles, dropped interception, DTs still not collapsing the pocket, player ejected, penalties.

From where we were last year, I agree with you, it is encouraging for sure and I don’t want to be a Debbie Downer here, but the Chargers are overrated and though the stats are good at first glance, there is still lots of room for improvement IMO. If we get some interior push that will help tremendously, really can’t be emphasised enough for me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Whilst it’s positive and the stats look good I wouldn’t say it’s ‘magnificent’ if I’m honest. Far to many missed tackles, dropped interception, DTs still not collapsing the pocket, player ejected, penalties.

From where we were last year, I agree with you, it is encouraging for sure and I don’t want to be a Debbie Downer here, but the Chargers are overrated and though the stats are good at first glance, there is still lots of room for improvement IMO. If we get some interior push that will help tremendously, really can’t be emphasised enough for me.

To add to the negatives.  They didn't have Ekelar and they had just recently lost Mike Williams the week before.  So while it's good to see the defense hold strong in the 2nd half, the Chargers weren't at full strength (Herbert even was hurt in the 2nd half) and they didn't really need to do much anyway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, true2form said:

To add to the negatives.  They didn't have Ekelar and they had just recently lost Mike Williams the week before.  So while it's good to see the defense hold strong in the 2nd half, the Chargers weren't at full strength (Herbert even was hurt in the 2nd half) and they didn't really need to do much anyway.

Herbert was hurt too

On 10/4/2023 at 2:25 AM, Darbsk said:

Crazy how these stat things work Defense was real sloppy and couldn’t tackle anyone until around halftime